cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

caretaker
Adept II

Linux open CL 2.0

As of now there is suport for OpenCL 2.0 on Windows via AMD drivers.

Is there a way to get it implemented on Linux via amdgpu-pro drivers? and not ROCm ones with hacks?

0 Likes
17 Replies
bridgman
Staff
Staff

Re: Linux open CL 2.0

We use the ROCm back end in the amdgpu-pro drivers for Vega and Navi HW. Which GPU are you using ?

You should be able to install either all-open or -pro packaged drivers from 20.45, include the appropriate "--opencl=xxx" parm depending on your GPU (rocr for Vega/Navi, legacy for earlier HW) and go.

Is there a specific concern you have re: ROCm drivers ?

Thanks,

John

0 Likes
caretaker
Adept II

I am on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and as of now 20.45 drivers give some errors on OpenCl installment. However 20.40 ones work like a charm. I use a RX580 GPU, and i install openCL via this command:

./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=legacy,pal --headless (and installs OpenCl 1.2 succesfully)

P.S. i am aware that on 20.45 the command is slightnly changed ./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=legacy,rocm --headless (but it fails at the end)

Are you suggesting i should replace legacy with 2.0?

./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=2.0 --headless  ?? (i hevent seent this in the AMD documentations)

Thanks!

0 Likes
ableeker
Adept II

The parameter for 20.45 has changed from

--headless --opencl=pal

to

--headless --opencl=rocr

That's rocr, not rocm.

0 Likes
caretaker
Adept II

thanks for the imput but that still installs open cl 1.2 not 2.0 that i'm after

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff
Staff

My understanding was that we shipped the same OpenCL functionality on both Windows and Linux - 1.2 runtime with 2.0 kernel language support.

It's possible that got extended to 2.0 runtime support on Windows but I hadn't heard anything about it. Will see what I can find out.

Were you seeing OpenCL 2.0 support on Linux before the 20.45 release ?

0 Likes
caretaker
Adept II

until i saw open cl 2.0 working and installed by default on windows i was under the impresion that it was just for certain custom unoficial suported versions. so far on linux since about a year or so i havent seen anyone running 2.0 except some hacks on youtube from ROCm bits and oficial AMD bits

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

While my wondows os is allmost never used i didt bother update ing the GPU drivers, but you can see even a year ago 2.0 came bundeled into the drivers

0 Likes
ableeker
Adept II

Why do you think OpenCL is version 1.2? clinfo is reporting the following about amdgpu-pro 20.40:

Platform Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3180.7)

And about amdgpu-pro 20.40:

Platform Version: OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (3188.4)

And I'm fairly certain ROCm contains OpenCL 2.0, or 2.1 as well.

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff
Staff

It's possible that something changed between 20.40 and 20.45, since we moved from PAL back end to ROCR back end on Linux for Navi and Vega.

We may just be reporting more accurately now, since AFAIK we never had 2.0 runtime, just 2.0 kernel language.

EDIT - ignore first statement since you are using Ellesmere

0 Likes
caretaker
Adept II

Number of platforms 1
Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Platform Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Platform Version OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3180.7)
Platform Profile FULL_PROFILE
Platform Extensions cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices
Platform Host timer resolution 1ns
Platform Extensions function suffix AMD

Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices 1
Device Name Ellesmere
Device Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device Vendor ID 0x1002
Device Version OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (3180.7)
Driver Version 3180.7
Device OpenCL C Version OpenCL C 1.2

because this is the same result clinfo gives me no matter the Linux distro or driver version

0 Likes