cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Asensado
Journeyman III

Installing Proper Drivers for Radeon RX Vega 7 on Linux

Recently installed Debian 12 on my laptop with an AMD Ryzen 5 5625u. Planned on using DaVinci, but it seems that I don't have the proper drivers installed (Unsupported GPU Processing Mode). Where and how do I install the proper drivers? I already followed the AtiHowTo on debian.org, but is still not working.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
4 Replies

Looking at AMD Download page it doesn't show any compatible  Ryzen 5 5625U Laptop Linux drivers. Only Windows 10/11 drivers: https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/processors/ryzen/ryzen-5000-series/amd-ryzen-5...

You can either open a AMD SUPPORT ticket to see if they have a laptop linux driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Or you can open a Thread at a Linux Forum like Ubuntu or Debian or one of the best Linux forums for AMD is : AMD Linux - Phoronix Forums 

NOTE: AMD does have Linux drivers but for Desktop GPUs by the looks of it.

0 Likes
JLP
Adept I

If I remember correctly OpenCL is needed to make this work. So make sure you have support enabled (clinfo command shows the info about OpenCL). To install support you can try installing OpenCL which for the default Mesa GPU drivers is usually part of the mesa-opencl-icd.

Free society requires Free software
0 Likes
JackAward
Adept I

To install proper drivers for the Radeon RX Vega 7 on Linux, you have a few options depending on your Linux distribution. Here's a general guide:

1. **Open Source Drivers (Mesa)**:
- Many Linux distributions include open-source drivers for AMD Radeon GPUs out of the box, provided by the Mesa project. These drivers often work well for basic functionality and are included in the Linux kernel.
- To ensure you have the latest drivers, make sure your Linux distribution is up to date using the package manager (`sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade` on Debian/Ubuntu-based systems, for example).

2. **AMDGPU-Pro Drivers**:
- AMD provides proprietary drivers called AMDGPU-Pro, which may offer better performance and additional features.
- Visit the AMD website to download the AMDGPU-Pro drivers for your specific Linux distribution and GPU model.
- Follow the installation instructions provided by AMD. This typically involves running a script or package installer.

3. **AMD Radeon Software for Linux**:
- AMD also offers Radeon Software for Linux, which provides a unified driver package for AMD GPUs on Linux.
- Download the Radeon Software for Linux package from the AMD website.
- Follow the installation instructions provided by AMD. This usually involves using a package manager or running a script.

4. **Check Distribution-Specific Documentation**:
- Some Linux distributions have specific documentation or repositories for installing drivers. For example, Ubuntu has the "Additional Drivers" tool in the settings that can automatically detect and install recommended drivers for your hardware.

5. **Community Resources**:
- Forums, community wikis, and websites dedicated to Linux and AMD GPU support may have valuable information and guides for installing drivers on your specific distribution.

6. **Verify Installation**:
- After installing the drivers, you can verify that they are working correctly by checking the GPU drivers in use (`glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"` or `glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor"`), checking the output of `lsmod` for the loaded kernel modules, or using AMD's own diagnostic tools if available.

Always ensure you're using drivers compatible with your specific Linux distribution version and kernel. Additionally, make sure to follow any instructions or recommendations provided by AMD or your Linux distribution's documentation to avoid potential issues.

JackAward
Adept I

To install proper drivers for the Radeon RX Vega 7 on Linux, you have a few options depending on your Linux distribution. Here's a general guide:

1. **Open Source Drivers (Mesa)**:
- Many Linux distributions include open-source drivers for AMD Radeon GPUs out of the box, provided by the Mesa project. These drivers often work well for basic functionality and are included in the Linux kernel.
- To ensure you have the latest drivers, make sure your Linux distribution is up to date using the package manager (`sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade` on Debian/Ubuntu-based systems, for example).

2. **AMDGPU-Pro Drivers**:
- AMD provides proprietary drivers called AMDGPU-Pro, which may offer better performance and additional features.
- Visit the AMD website to download the AMDGPU-Pro drivers for your specific Linux distribution and GPU model.
- Follow the installation instructions provided by AMD. This typically involves running a script or package installer.

3. **AMD Radeon Software for Linux**:
- AMD also offers Radeon Software for Linux, which provides a unified driver package for AMD GPUs on Linux.
- Download the Radeon Software for Linux package from the AMD website.
- Follow the installation instructions provided by AMD. This usually involves using a package manager or running a script.

4. **Check Distribution-Specific Documentation**:
- Some Linux distributions have specific documentation or repositories for installing drivers. For example, Ubuntu has the "Additional Drivers" tool in the settings that can automatically detect and install recommended drivers for your hardware.

5. **Community Resources**:
- Forums, community wikis, and websites dedicated to Linux and AMD GPU support may have valuable information and guides for installing drivers on your specific distribution.

6. **Verify Installation**:
- After installing the drivers, you can verify that they are working correctly by checking the GPU drivers in use (`glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"` or `glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor"`), checking the output of `lsmod` for the loaded kernel modules, or using AMD's own diagnostic tools if available.

Always ensure you're using drivers compatible with your specific Linux distribution version and kernel. Additionally, make sure to follow any instructions or recommendations provided by AMD or your Linux distribution's documentation to avoid potential issues.

0 Likes