MuHcOw
Adept I

Inaccessible Boot Device BSOD After Updating to 23.2.1

I get BSOD after updating...

Stopcode: Inaccessible Boot Device

Windows not booting.
BIOS selftest on my two NVMe pass.

No SATA devices installed.

Ryzen 9 5950X - LiquidDevil RX 6900 XT - 64GB Crucial DDR4 PC4000 - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Windows 10

I downloaded and ran the 23.2.1 installer.

Any advise?

85 Replies
photosozo
Adept I

This report shows similar issues people are having:

https://wccftech.com/latest-amd-radeon-graphics-drivers-reportedly-causing-pc-boot-issues-corrupting...

Also I have heard some people have had luck turning Fast Boot off in their BIOS on their MOBO. I have not tried that yet.

0 Likes

I have also read that FastBoot could cause issues..

FastBoot not enabled on my computer, never has been.

Hmm, yeah I have the same issue, had to completely re-image my system, as I could basically do nothing.

7900 XTX on Win 11, X670E-I Asus Board

0 Likes

I tried the suggestion in this article to use Wagnard DDU while in safe mode. Worked like a champ. Sort of. I got my computer back so now I can boot and run programs. However, the overpriced rx7900xtx is dead. I’m getting all my video off the motherboard. So I need to update drivers I’m sure to get it back online but I’ll wait until AMD resolves this issue.

0 Likes
schldskjoirz
Adept III

BSOD after driver installation is a common issue and usually the problems can be fixed/removed by booting the PC into Safe Mode (with networking, if you need to get in the net ie. to download something). Then use (or download) DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility to remove the corrupted drivers and scan the drive to find/fix errors.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
• 5900X • 6900XT • X570 • NH-D15S • 16Gb@3600Mhz • 1000W • 65" TV (HDMI) • Sony 5.1 audio (toslink)

Booting into safe mode (with network) was the first thing I tried.

No dice.

Windows not booting.

So I did a system restore - I'm now up and running again (no AMD drivers installed, yet).

0 Likes

You cannot boot into safe mode if Windows will not even start properly. I had the same exact issue as OP and had to boot into WinRE to roll back the driver using system restore. 

0 Likes

If incorrect driver installation prevents the PC to start Windows, booting to Safe Mode fixes it, because the Safe Mode automatically rolls back the driver by restoring the last known good configuration. If you can't boot to Safe Mode, then there is more problems than just a corrupted graphics driver.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
• 5900X • 6900XT • X570 • NH-D15S • 16Gb@3600Mhz • 1000W • 65" TV (HDMI) • Sony 5.1 audio (toslink)
0 Likes

This does not solve my problem
I need another solution

0 Likes
Savdog
Journeyman III

Same **bleep** problem here. No safe mode, tried simple recovery options, tried manually deleting the drivers in command prompt, tried restore but that had errors, now trying resetting windows. What a pain in the ass amd. This is BS. 

0 Likes
EndUserGamer
Adept I

A user on Reddit solved a similar problem (after updating to newest drivers), by clearing the CMOS

X570, 5600x, 32G 3600MHz CL16, RX 6650 XT
0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

The release notes for this driver read like a sad song.  I really hoped they would do better this time round but instead they maintain the status quo.

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

mine MSI 6600XT and when new driver 23.2.1 come out I do not know about this BSOD and just install it. Lucky all seems fine and working properly.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes
Weber462
Challenger

What a piece of **bleep**.  took down one rig, got the other working using a reset.  Get your **bleep** together AMD. 

Thank you for the posts. 

We're looking into this issue and would like to collect some information from any affected users. Please could you provide the following:

• CPU make and model
  • Motherboard make and model + BIOS version
  • GPU make and model 
  • Operating system build

In addition, please could you list the steps you followed when the issue occurred? For example, did you update to the latest driver via AMD Software System tab, or was this a clean installation of 23.2.1.

I appreciate it. 

0 Likes

Ryzen 5 2600x
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon - unsure on BIOS version
ASUS Rog Strix 6750XT

Windows 11 latest update

I cannot get into BIOS at all so cannot provide anything more specific than that.

0 Likes

I tried everything AMD tech support could recommend before I'd even called them up. Tried three different methods of clearing CMOS, nothing worked, wouldn't even reach BIOS.

I installed a new motherboard and CPU. It worked fine, even on the newest driver. Somehow that driver update just broke the old board, which was working absolutely fine until that point.

0 Likes

My computer also stopped booting at first. After the third time, it booted up. Then the Adrenaline program stopped loading. The games have now started to hang. It's all because of your terrible latest driver!

0 Likes

• CPU make and model: Ryzen 7 5700X
  • Motherboard make and model + BIOS version: MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI + BIOS 7B93v1H (AGESA 1.2.0.7
  • GPU make and model : Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6750 XT
  • Operating system build: Windows 10
0 Likes

Ryzen 9/7900; ASRock B650E PG-itx; RX7900xtx, windows 11 latest

I first tried restoring Windows. Didn’t work. Then went into BIOS  and restored default. Didn’t work. Then got into safe mode and ran Wagnard Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and it worked. Except my gpu is dead and I’m getting video off motherboard.

0 Likes

Hello Matt, good afternoon.

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi

AMD RX580

Windows 10 Pro

Latest BIOS drivers as of late January 2023

I used the adrenalin software and followed the instructions in the software to update to 23.2.1

Thank you, and much help would be appreciated. 

0 Likes

Mine works without any error. Well, maybe can help with this info and find the root cause:

MSI B550M Pro-VDH BIOS 7C95v2C AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.7 XAMPP ON
Windows 11
MSI 6600XT SAM ON
Install 23.2.1 driver with reset to factory option check. Reboot twice and all runs ok.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes

Well the plot sickens: After running DDU and my computer returned to normal. I decided to tempt fate and reinstall the old 23.1.2 version that my GPU worked just fine with for 2 weeks after purchase. Wrong. Screen went blank and I had to go into safe mode and run DDU again to get the computer back (using video off of motherboard). BUT, this return to normal only last a couple minutes. The image on the monitor got smaller, returned to normal a second later, then went blank. What returned was the screen with limited access to applications. **bleep**!! 

0 Likes

Also having issues with 23.2.1. System freezes, even on the lock screen. Using 7900XTX.

0 Likes
valous
Journeyman III

Similar issue, after installing driver 23.2.1 with 5800x3D and 7900XTX I restarted after it finished installing and was unable to get back into Windows - it tries to do a repair then get blue screen to say there is a boot problem and it can't be repaired. Can't boot into safe mode.

Tried doing a system restore then booted into safe mode wiped drivers with sweeper then installed again from fresh and then did the exact same thing can't get into Windows. Had to do it again wiped then installed previous driver and its working fine again so its definitely something wrong with the 23.2.1 driver.

First time I have ever experienced such a thing - think I might return my AMD card as had it for 2 weeks and can not believe this got WHQL cleared.

If your return window is still open you know what to do to protect your own interests.

0 Likes

Sad but true ....

0 Likes

That's really odd, drivers don't just fix themselves if you keep reinstalling them, it has to be something else.

0 Likes
juvuk
Adept I

Started my RMA claim yesterday, my 4080 should arrive later today. I can't be doing with a week of freezing and half measures just to get my PC running, for £900 it should just work shouldn't it?

Use 528.24 as .49 is having issues and yes the end user should just be able to install the device and it should work as advertised.  I have lost all confidence in them at the consumer level as have many of the IT folks I work with.

Price does not really affect if it should work or not, but sometimes there is a technical issue with hardware which is covered by warranty. Then there is the question of how you installed it and is rest of the system able to support it. Then there is finally an option of driver not being compatible either with certain software/game/hardware combination, in which case there will likely be an update unless it is a some very uncommon and poorly supported software.

To avoid issues, I tend to buy Asus motherboards, high quality power supplies with more than enough powe, good quality ram kit and prefer QVL certified just in case and do a fresh install when there is a major hardware change. I don't really have serious issues with hardware nor drivers nor Windows.

0 Likes

all well and good, all i can can say with certainty is the 4080 was installed, installed the driver and boom everything works as it should job done and i am back to gaming.

Thanks for the reply though 

0 Likes
Psyhix69
Adept III

• CPU: 13700k at stock
  • Motherboard: MSI Z690-A WIFi DDR4 (v1.0), UEFI: 1.A0
  • GPU: Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Hellhound

I installed the drivers on the top of currently existing one (with factory reset option enabled).

After installation I rebooted my PC and proceeded to play Apex Legends. After some time my pc hardlocked and I had to reboot it using hardware power button. Then the windows installer popped up where I had to answer few questions - initially I though it was the windows update issue.

0 Likes

Hi, you can reference this post. if you have FreeSync, disable it from amd driver/windows vrr/Display OSD.

[DPC_Watchdog_Violation][amdkmdag.sys][RX 7900 XTX/XT] Discussion Thread

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/dpc-watchdog-violation-amdkmdag-sys-rx-7900-xtx-xt-dis...

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

Processor: AMD FX-8350

Memory: 2x16 GB DDR3-1600

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 Rev. 1.2

Bootdisk: SATA Samsung EVO 850, 500 GB SSD

Grafik: XFX RX570

Windows 10 latest Update

I can start only WinRE, Safemode isn`t working

Cleanuputility AMD doesn,t work under WinRE

Systemrecovery doesn`t work

Clear CMOS doesn`t help

sfc and DISM couldn`t solve the problem.

Adaptive-Sync (Freesync) in my monitor is disabled, doesn`t solve the problem

Please help soon! I loose a lot of time!

0 Likes
kokokobe
Journeyman III

F. U !!!!

6900xt +x470i+3700x . Inaccessible Boot Device

0 Likes
kokokobe
Journeyman III

F. U !!!!

0 Likes
kokokobe
Journeyman III

F. U !!!!

i have no idea how to boot my pc . unless reinstall

0 Likes

You start by clearing cmos and then check that PCIe bifurcation setting is set to enabled if you have one. While you are at it, make sure you have a fairly recent BIOS.

If this does not work, you should unplug and plug your drives, perhaps change which slots they are installed to.

If this doesn't work, you can simply hit F8 I think it was to access other boot options, so you don't have to load drivers at all, but can select a repair option.

If this does not work, you can use Windows installer USB stick to get to repair options and do a repair.

What is the last time you checked how much write endurance is left on your C-drive? If it is a smallish QLC-drive almost full and many years old, it can be dying. Could also be a memory stability or OC issue. Driver installation should not affect this.

0 Likes