cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

iGPU overrides discrete GPU

Hi all,

I suffered this problem recently and still for the life of me can't figure out why it's happening other than the iGPU on the 7950X3D being forced as the primary GPU if an application does not say otherwise, in this case I am talking about Dishonored2 on Steam. I tried running the game and I would click on start, count to three and be returned to steam.

I tried all the fixes mentioned, including disabling the iGPU driver in Windows and in BIOS but the game still would not start so I re enabled them and tried plugging my Display Port cable into the onboard Display port connector and all of a sudden I could see the game.

Things should not be this way video should be output to the display that is active not the iGPU by default.

I then placed the Display port cable back into the Discrete card and set about using DDU to remove all display drivers after disabling the iGPU in BIOS, with the drivers all cleared in safe mode with the network disabled I rebooted back into windows and installed the nVidia drivers and low and behold the game now runs on the discrete GPU. 

Now the only problem from my perspective is I don't just game and even when I do game I use the iGPU to monitor my systems temps, fans etc etc.

Something really needs to be done so that the iGPU needs to be selected with a piece of software or something along those lines so that discrete GPU's don't fall into this pit.

0 Likes
0 Replies