cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mikep89
Adept I

I have an older Freesync Monitor and freesync is broken since 21.3.1. I have emailed customer suppor

I have emailed customer support and no real solutions. Clean install and uninstall, and the various different settings that can be used I have tried. I have tried CRU and editing the Freesync range, nothing. I keep again and again confirming that 21.3.1 is the last driver where Freesync worked (KG271U Is my monitor.https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.HX1AA.011) and ONLY if the 10-bit pixel option was checked. I'm not talking about the one in the color depth section. My monitor doesn't have HDR

Like I said, I have emailed customer support trying to figure this out and I am just getting the standard responses and trust me I have gone crazy trying different solutions, it's not the cable, it's not whether it's DP or HDMI. It's something about the drivers and my monitor I am guessing. I have a 5700. 

Please don't respond if it's just a common solution, I am not new to computers, I know about the troubleshooting steps, I need a more creative solution if possible maybe possibly editing or adding and removing driver files. Maybe something else. I am now playing Far Cry 6 and it's a crappy experience seeing that I need the latest drivers to get good performance and SAM and that the frame limiting options and enhanced sync are ok but I really shouldn't have to struggle. I get my monitor is old, but can they please just add whatever they took out of 21.3.1 to make my monitor work? 

0 Likes
8 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

I know you may call this a common solution..

Have you got the monitor driver installed, i remember when i got my iiyama it would only work once i installed the driver..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Thanks, Yes I've tried that and nothing.

0 Likes
mikep89
Adept I

Does AMD support browse this forum?

0 Likes

Hi @mikep89 

Only the moderator browses these posts, if you want to get a possible chance with the driver team you have to post on the OpenGL & Vulkan forum.

I am uncertain what your exact FreeSync issue is? Does it stutter or does it tear? Or both?

Personally, depending on what CPU/Motherboard I use, on my FX 8350 FreeSync goes out of pace in DX 11 games and stutters, only thing that works for me then is the following:

- First, try opening "Device Manager", then drop down "Monitors", right-click & Uninstall Device on all the Monitors; thereafter, restart PC and it will automatically be re-installed and likely fix the frame-pacing issue, if not continue ->

- Restart computer in safe mode, Uninstall Radeon Driver with DDU Display Driver Uninstaller. Furthermore, install latest driver after the restart.

Hope this helps if you have not tried it already, works for me on my first gen FreeSync AOC 75Hz monitor.

Kind regards

0 Likes

I've tried those things. The issue is that games don't lock to 75fps. I'd rather not use vsync or the frame limiter options if my monitor is a freesync monitor. Freesync works a lot better when it does work. The reason I don't want to go back to the 21.3.1 drivers is because there have been other optimizations since then. 

On even older drivers whenever the freesync broke after it did work, what solved it was resetting the radeon settings to stock. 

0 Likes

Hi @mikep89 

You games will not lock to your refresh-rate just because you have FreeSync enabled, that is not how it works, you have to enable VSync to Synchronise with the top-end of the refresh-rate; furthermore, FreeSync will still take over if frame-rate become less than the Refresh-rate.

If you do not like VSync, you can try the following (although I know you said you do not want to use it):

- Set FRTC to screen refresh-rate.

- Enable Enhanced Sync for the game or globally.

You need to do this, or either use VSync to prevent tearing when frame-times are faster than your refresh-rate.

Kind regards

Thanks. That was the other possibility. That I misunderstood how it works. So it must have been a driver bug or issue with those drivers that did lock it at 75fps without anything else enabled?

Enhanced sync and Far cry's frame limiter is how I've been playing the game so far but I'll try it globally now and see how it goes.

Hi @mikep89 

Yes it was likely a bug, because AMD only reintroduced FRTC this year, therefore it is likely that it was enabled without it showing, or it is possible that Windows had a VSync bug that locked the frame-rate (this happened to me in Crysis 3 at 60FPS).

Personally, I usually start with the following scenarios while having FreeSync enabled:

- Firstly, I use in-game VSync, otherwise,

- In-game cap below refresh rate

- Enhanced Sync + FRTC.

You can also have VSync enabled and set an in-game FPS cap below refresh rate such as 60FPS. Every game requires a different solution, sometimes I play even without FreeSync and just VSync depending how the game responds to FreeSync.

Hope some of this helps.

Kind regards

0 Likes