cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

yaseen
Adept I

I can't install driver on Dell OEM RX5600

I just purchased a Dell XPS 8940 with an AMD Radeon RX5600 graphics card built in.

For some reason it won't let me install any of the latest drivers from the AMD website.  The Auto detect tool doesn't work either. I get error 182, "Radeon Software install detected AMD graphics hardware in your configuration that is not supported with this software installation."

I have no problem installing the driver off the Dell website. The problem with that driver is it doesn't include the Radeon software. Or if it does, I can't find it. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

The GPU Card installed in your XPS 8940 is not a OEM DELL GPU Card but it seems to be a MSI RX5600XT GPU Card: MSI RX 5600 XT GAMING X - Graphics card - Radeon RX 5600 XT - 6 GB GDDR6 - PCIe 4.0 - HDMI, 3 x Disp... 

DELL looks like it uses MSI GPU for their PC's:

Try using this basic method to remove and install AMD Drivers to prevent conflicts:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Firstly, laptops do not have the features and settings desktop graphics cards have.

You should be using the OEM supplied drivers, especially for a new laptop. And look for bios and chipset updates while your at  it.

Are you trying to install the correct driver? https://community.amd.com/thread/207699 

Thank you for the reply, but the XPS 8940 is a desktop machine NOT a laptop. The graphics card is a discrete two-slot card and should be full functioning. (But who knows if Dell cuts corners and cripples the card.)

For the record, I am a very knowledgeable user, I worked as a computer consultant for 35 years.

I spent two full hours on the phone with Dell technical support yesterday. They couldn't figure it out either.

I'm just frustrated that I can't get the AMD control panel to install or run. 

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

If your system is new, contact the store and request an nVidia GPU. Describe the problem you are having.

001.PNG

This is the optional GPU list that Dell offers.

0 Likes

The GPU Card installed in your XPS 8940 is not a OEM DELL GPU Card but it seems to be a MSI RX5600XT GPU Card: MSI RX 5600 XT GAMING X - Graphics card - Radeon RX 5600 XT - 6 GB GDDR6 - PCIe 4.0 - HDMI, 3 x Disp... 

DELL looks like it uses MSI GPU for their PC's:

Try using this basic method to remove and install AMD Drivers to prevent conflicts:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

Thank you for the detailed reply.

The card is probably not the MSI. First it only has only one fan. Next, silk screened on the is AMD, model D189. There is also a sticker that says ATI D18902.

That said, the installation advice is good. I will try a super clear install and get back to you.

0 Likes

I did see a Dell Visiontek RX5500XT that does have one fan and uses the same ATI D18902: VisionTek Radeon RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 DVI-D HDMI DP Graphics Card - 901315 | Dell USA 

I know that Dell uses VisionTek AMD GPUs in their PCs in the past.

From searching the internet I haven't been able to see a One Fan RX5600XT only for the RX5500XT except for this one Powercolor RX5600XT sold in Newegg: PowerColor Radeon RX 5600 XT DirectX 12 AXRX 5600XT ITX 6GBD6-2DH Video Card - Newegg.com 

Concerning the "D18902" it is a new Korean RRA Certification identification: New AMD Listings in Korean RRA Certification Point to Impending Graphics Cards Release - Big Navi? |... 

Everything indicates by your description and ATI Model that you have a RX5500XT and not a RX5600XT installed. But that shouldn't make a difference since both use the same AMD Drivers.

Here is the latest RX5500XT AMD Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500-series/amd-radeon-... 

0 Likes

Thank you for taking the time look all this up.

First, and most importantly, the super clean install worked!!   So thank you VERY much!

And second, the AMD software does confirm the card is an RX5600. Not surprising since it was sold as such. The card looks the same as the cards above but has four ports on the back.

No doubt Dell purchases the cards in volume, custom configured to reduce costs. Nor would it surprise me if the performance of the card was not quite the same as a retail card. But I don't mind. The card will meet my needs just fine.

Cheers!

Go to the OCCT power test and be sure to check the driver-system consistency for minimum 30 minutes.

0 Likes