cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

How to Limit Framerate in Games?

I've been playing a couple of casual games lately (the "Find All" series on Steam).  There are no options in game to limit the framerate, and no matter what I do with the Adrenalin drivers, the game plays with a framerate greater than 1,000 fps.  My monitor is just a 60hz display, so that's nothing but a waste of energy (and a cause of some coil whine).  In Adrenalin, I've got Radeon Chill on and set to 60 fps (min and max).  When the game laughed at that, I turned on the Framerate Target Control (max 60 fps) and even OpenGL Triple Buffering.  None of that made any difference.  Is there anything else in Adrenalin to try?  Or, should I try something like RivaTuner?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I do have Radeon Advanced Sync on (which looks like it's some kind of vsync), but it doesn't help with this game.

As i already said. AMD Enchanced Sync is quite literally FPS unlocker = which makes FPS go uncapped for games that play better with higher FPS counter. You can literally hover mouse on question mark to the right of it and says "Alternative vsync mode that minimizes visual tearing and lag but DOESN'T LIMIT FRAME RATES. . . " And if there is another "Advanced sync" somewhere, i would really want screenshot of this toggle so i can find info about this specific feature if it different. 

You must DISABLE Enchanced sync so games actually respect vsync frame limitations. With it disabled you can then also choose preference for vsync from (Always off // Off, unless application request it to be on // On, unless application requests it to be off // Always On)

Also. With RivaTuner and MSI Afterburner you can setup overlay which will always say you which type of renderer game uses. DX9, DX11, DX12, VULKAN or OGL (OpenGL)

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

You can try to force Vertical synchronisation for this game (in game specific settings). It should do a trick. Even though strange that neither Chill or Framerate Target won't work... What is this game sourced on? DX9 DX11 or OpenGL? Triple buffering is for OpenGL only anyways. 

Well, you also can use external solution if internal for some reasons don't work. RivaTuner have framerate limit functionality. 

Sadly i cannot test these myself, but it is quite strange that internal solutions won't work. Do you have Enchanced sync enabled? Because it basically works as FPS unlocker. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use riva tuner for singleplayer games but you could get ban in some multyplayer games. You can use riva tuner for apex legends.

0 Likes

If you are getting 1000 FPS or higher seems like you have either overclocked your GPU or CPU or some other unusual hardware changes to achieve such high FPS.

Normally your FPS is limited by your Monitor's Frequency unless you use a program to increase your FPS past your monitor's maximum Frequency.

Would be helpful to know your PC information for others who are familiar with gaming can help you better.

EDIT: FYI - Found this tech site that explains in simple terms the difference between Refresh Rates and FPS: https://www.electronicshub.org/hz-vs-fps-find-the-difference/

Screenshot 2022-06-11 234746.png

So if you GPU while gaming is running 1000 FPS that means it is wasting 940 FPS on a 60 Hz monitor. Everything I read 

This tech site explains about 60 Hz Monitor and FPS: https://diamondlobby.com/tech-guides/how-many-fps-can-a-60-hz-monitor-display/

How Much FPS Can a 60 Hz Monitor Display?

A 60 Hz monitor has the ability to display up to 60 frames-per-second. If you have a more powerful machine that can output more than 60 FPS, your 60Hz monitor will still display exactly the same 60FPS, but there will be screen tearing.

For those that aren’t aware, screen tearing refers to fast-moving objects, or flashes may not appear correctly or appear at all. Essentially, if you have a powerful PC, all that a 60Hz monitor does is bottle-neck your gaming experience and the capacity of graphics that your PC is truly capable of delivering.

One thing that you can do though is overclock your refresh rate and try to get more out of your monitor for better performance.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Your framerate is only limited by the monitor if you have vsync enabled. Some games don't have the option. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

As cpurpe91 said, if vsync is enabled, usually games will be limited to the monitor refresh rate.  But, a lot of old games (which these are NOT), don't seem to be limited by that.  I think they might be OpenGL games.  That's why I tried turning on OpenGL Triple Buffering.  I do have Radeon Advanced Sync on (which looks like it's some kind of vsync), but it doesn't help with this game.

The game basically has no video settings at all.  No vsync and no framerate limiters.  It's just a fairly recent casual game "Made with Unity."

I don't think it will make much difference, but here's my hardware:

Computer: GIGABYTE B550 VISION D-P
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (Vermeer, VMR-B0)
3700 MHz (37.00x100.0) @ 3642 MHz (36.49x99.8)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 VISION D-P
BIOS: F15d, 07/20/2022
Chipset: AMD B550 (Promontory PROM19 C)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1597 MHz, 14-14-14-34
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, 16384 MB GDDR6 SDRAM
Drive: KINGSTON SKC3000D2048G, 2000.4 GB, NVMe
Sound: ATI/AMD Navi2x - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Family 17h/19h - HD Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8125 Gaming 2.5GbE Family Ethernet Controller
Network: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (x64) Build 22000.1098 (21H2)

0 Likes

I do have Radeon Advanced Sync on (which looks like it's some kind of vsync), but it doesn't help with this game.

As i already said. AMD Enchanced Sync is quite literally FPS unlocker = which makes FPS go uncapped for games that play better with higher FPS counter. You can literally hover mouse on question mark to the right of it and says "Alternative vsync mode that minimizes visual tearing and lag but DOESN'T LIMIT FRAME RATES. . . " And if there is another "Advanced sync" somewhere, i would really want screenshot of this toggle so i can find info about this specific feature if it different. 

You must DISABLE Enchanced sync so games actually respect vsync frame limitations. With it disabled you can then also choose preference for vsync from (Always off // Off, unless application request it to be on // On, unless application requests it to be off // Always On)

Also. With RivaTuner and MSI Afterburner you can setup overlay which will always say you which type of renderer game uses. DX9, DX11, DX12, VULKAN or OGL (OpenGL)

As you said, turning OFF Radeon Enhanced Sync was the key.  I'd hovered over the question mark several times.  But, in each case, I got lazy and stopped reading just before "doesn't limit frame rates."  Sigh.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Axton
Challenger

I've actually found a game made in Unity that doesn't respond to anything in the Adrenalin 23.7.1 control panel: The Black Masses.  It runs without restricitons, 2000fps at the main menu, 180avg in-game.  I'm trying some command line switches next but if anyone knows how to limit frmaes in Unity games please let me know. The game dev isn't responding.

Axton_0-1690409115201.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Likes