Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

JohnnyS_
Adept I

[Help needed] Screen Frozen but audio is still live

Good day all,

I am running into this weird issue and trying to find out some good troubleshooting steps to run to try to isolate this issue. The issue is my computer freezes up and I cannot move anything, keyboard provides no input, mouse no input, BUT audio is still live, whether that being Spotify or discord. So I have to force shut off my computer to be able to do anything. This happens on mainly I've seen games, I found it happening on Valorant and Sons of the Forest, so far. I have not seen it happen on other games but I have not been on other games tbh that much so I cant say for sure that these are causing the issue.

I get no BSOD codes when it happens, event viewer only shows the power down was unexpected and nothing else. I am stuck on what else to troubleshoot and what other steps to try, any help would be appreciated

Heres my setup

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - MSI B450 Tomahawk (MS-7C02)

GPU - ASRock RX 6800XT XT Phantom

RAM - 32GB DDR4 3200 G.Skill

PSU - EVGA 600W BR

Running 3 monitors (1x1440p165hz, 21080px144hz)

So far,

BIOS is latest version 1I0

Chipset drivers is the latest version as of 2/27

TS Done:
Updated AMD Graphics Driver to latest (current 23.2.2 released 2/17/23)
Updated AMD Chipset drivers (current 4.07.13.2243, new 5.01.29.2026)
Ran MemTest86 and passed

Ran Heaven Benchmark and saw no crashes for about 30 minutes and temperatures was stable but hard to replicate this issue so unsure if this really proves anything

7 Replies
Sam-pie
Journeyman III

I am having this exact same issue, happened 12 times since the 21st of January, always while gaming

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

Mobo - Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming

GPU - XFX RX 5700XT

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000 Corsair

PSU - NZXT 650W Gold

I have tried using both the latest and the previous GPU drivers, as well as the PRO drivers, still no solution

0 Likes

Same thing was happening to me and i limited it down to graphics driver problems. I know this because I just tried updating GPU drivers yesterday and the hard lock problem came back. I had to downgrade back to 23.2.1.  So for me it's 100% GPU drivers. 23.2.1 seems to be the only stable one for me out of the last 3.

0 Likes

Its not really the drivers for me, as it happened on both so I dont believe it seems to be a gpu driver but who knows

0 Likes
Nils1971
Adept I

I had the sam issues while playing Beat Saber in VR and my RX6800XT while running drivers newer than 22.5.1.

0 Likes

Asrock recommend 800W psu with 3 x 8 pin connection.

Also best to use separate pcie cables from psu to card (no daisy chained ( not 1 into 2 connectors).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Yup, just found this out a while ago. Never even saw this...

Im in the process of upgrading my PSU to see if that resovles the issue, I just currently power limited it to the lowest setting in the gpu software

0 Likes
Grenven
Journeyman III

Same with my 6700XT i even upgraded my PSU to Platinum but still not fixed lol undervolt under everything also didn't fix it multiple time reinstall the driver is the same. im downloading previous Amernime driver now to try if that can fix it.

0 Likes