cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cloudeffect
Adept I

HDR and RIS (Radeon Image Sharpening) Issue

For the longest time, and it might have even been since I started using HDR in games, RIS hasn't worked for me. I tested it some scenarios in one game in particular, which was Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I tried 4 different scenarios with RIS on. They were as follows:

Windows HDR off & In-game HDR off:

Moving the RIS slider back and forth it's obvious that RIS is working.

Windows HDR on & In-game HDR off (activates Windows 11 auto-HDR In-game):

Move the RIS slider back and forth and it's definitely not working.

Windows HDR off & in-game HDR on (activates In-game HDR):

Move the RIS slider back and forth and it still doesn't work.

Windows HDR on & in-game HDR on (activates In-game HDR):

Move the RIS slider back and forth and it's not working.

I would like to be able to use RIS in combination with HDR since the image for most games in HDR really looks fantastic especially on an OLED. Adding a conservative amount is great for combating TAA blur without adding too many artifacts. I know I can use Reshade, but this requires more overhead than just using RIS. Just having Reshade hooked with Assassin's Creed can cause around a 5 fps lose and then adding on the CAS sharpening it would be around 2 fps. It doesn't sound like much, but when you're at the point where it becomes noticeably less fluid it's an issue. It would be nice to avoid using a Reshade especially when it should be a feature in Radeon Software. I'm pretty confident it's an HDR and RIS combination issue. The question I have is has anyone figured out how to get both to work at the same time? I already put in a bug report for this in this driver and some of the previous ones, but with AMD's track record of fixing driver and software related issues it doesn't look promising.

My specs are:

Ryzen 7 5800X

Radeon RX 6800 XT

LG CX OLED

If you think any of my other specs might be relevant just let me know and I can provide them.

2 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I turned HDR off on my system it was causing burn in images and the screen was getting so bright that the monitor not the PC would actually shut down to prevent damage. I've fully updated the firmware on my monitor and tested the HDR again and the problem still occurs. So I just keep HDR turned off in both GPU the OS and the Monitor. I hope this provides you with some help sorry I'm not able to provide information to make the HDR work as it should.

0 Likes
brutlern
Adept II

I just recently switched to AMD, and just realized this now. Image Sharpening does not work with HDR on. I don't know if it's a bug, or simply a lack of capability. But it is indeed annoying. Have you ever found a workaround?

0 Likes