Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

HD8870M system freezes

Samsung NP880Z5E
Windows 10 2004 64bit
AMD HD8870M Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 20.9.2
After installing the driver, the system freezes, only disconnecting with the power button helps. At startup, the system freezes on a black screen in front of the welcome screen. I have to use the power button again until I enter safe mode. Next, disable the video card in the device Manager and only after the system starts. When you try to turn on the video card in normal mode, the system freezes.
As I understand it, the problem appeared after updating the components of Windows 10. The reinstallation of Windows. Going back to the original settings doesn't help. I installed different drivers: the driver from the developers of the laptop (Samsung), the driver 20.4.2. 20.4.1 (used before the update) 20.9.2 20.9.1 (relevant for my video card). Removed using amd cleanup and display driver Uninstaller

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
47 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: HD8870M system freezes

For the latest AMD Driver to work correctly Windows must be fully updated via Windows Update.

Also your Intel Drivers, especially the Intel Graphics and CHIPSET drivers must be the latest version for AMD Driver to work correctly.

If your Samsung Laptop doesn't have software to update all of your Intel Drivers then try using Intel's own Driver updater or see if Samsung Support has a newer version of Intel Graphics and CHIPSET Drivers for your laptop.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed on your laptop. That helps make AMD drivers more compatible with your laptop and Windows.

If all of the above is done with the laptop still freezing, it is either due that your laptop is not compatible with Windows 10 (since it originally came with Windows 8 OS installed) or you have a defective GPU card. See if Samsung has a Diagnostic Webpage for your laptop. If it does, run it and see if it sees anything wrong with either your hardware or software installed.

EDIT: As a last resort, restore your laptop back to the way it came from the factory with Windows 8 and see if the issue continues. If it doesn't that indicates something in Windows 10 is not compatible with your laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

While I try to install an earlier build of windows. There don't seem to be any newer drivers, but I'll take a closer look. I changed the video chip, I thought it was a problem. Then write

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

By any chance, did you contact Samsung Support to see if the Video chip you changed is supported by your Laptop?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

The problem was before replacing the chip, the chip was changed thinking that it was the reason. The chip itself is exactly the same and as it turned out the previous one was working. Windows early build installed did not help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

You may need to install windows fresh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Can I tell you more about what you mean

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

backup any files you want to save, secondary disk is best bet

use a usb stick and the windows 10 media creation tool to make a new boot stick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Just search Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. 

This will link you to the Microsoft Site. 

You will download the creation tool. 

Run it and you will need an 8gb or bigger USB thumb/flash drive or a Dual Layer DVD.

The tool will make your choice on that a bootable drive or disk. 

You restart the computer from that device and Re-Install Windows 10.

Since you have had Windows 10 on their already there is already a digital license associated with the computer.

If it asks for a key just skip it and Windows should activate itself again after loading Windows 10 again. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

AMD just release the new version of AMD software 20.10.1. Please try to install this version. It may help fix it.