Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Marda
Journeyman III

Graphics driver crashes

Hello everyone,

I need your opinion on a problem I’m facing.

Here’s the situation:

I upgraded my PC from a Ryzen 7 5700G with a TUF Gaming B550M-Plus to a Ryzen 7 8700G with a TUF Gaming B650M-E (and, of course, upgraded the RAM from DDR4 to DDR5). To make things easier, I decided to just move the hard drive to the new PC without performing a fresh system installation. I uninstalled all the drivers beforehand.

The PC starts up, and I quickly find myself in my familiar Windows environment. I installed the new chipset and integrated graphics drivers. Unfortunately, I encountered a recurring issue: the screen goes black, stays that way for several seconds, then comes back with a message from the AMD driver saying it crashed. Occasionally, the screen stays black for 2-3 minutes, requiring a reset to recover. I began to suspect that simply moving the hard drive wasn't as straightforward as I had hoped. So, I uninstalled all the AMD drivers and reinstalled them.

The problem persisted. In safe mode, I was at least able to back up all my data.

Since I was about to go on vacation, I decided to leave it for a while. During my vacation, I opted to upgrade from the boxed cooler to a better one (mentioning this because I reseated the CPU and checked the pins during the installation), and I also decided to buy a new hard drive.

I ordered both and have now installed them.

With the new hard drive, I performed a clean installation of Windows 11, but I can’t get past the point where you name the PC and create a user account. During this initial setup, the same issue occurs: the screen goes black, sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't. Even when the screen comes back, I can't interact with the PC.

Resetting the BIOS to default settings didn't help either.

Given the situation, I suspect a hardware defect, probably the CPU itself.

Could it also be the motherboard?

Do you have any other ideas?

Best regards

0 Likes
0 Replies