cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Tamoneko
Journeyman III

GPU worked, now no signal, fixed, no signal again

This is my last attempt before PC reset.

I have RX 6500 XT working fine for months on Win10. Drivers version was 22.9.2. In last 2 weeks I did something to PC, not sure what, but I experienced mouse freeze and apps freeze for 2-5 seconds, mostly after turning on PC. First idea was to turn off win update which slows down PC (I blame win updates bc it change stuff and is working on every restart).

After some time while browsing or opening Steam apps, PC froze. After reset GPU have no signal, black screen. No signal after reset multiple times.
- I pulled GPU out, put it in again, and it worked like there was no problem. I used GPU, played games, all was great no problem.

After next boot I saw mouse freeze and app freeze, then PC froze. After few resets no signal to GPU again appeared. This time pulling GPU out and in did not help. I repeat pulling GPU and inserting back, did some resets, switching HDMI from GPU to integrated GPU and back, and GPU worked again. Im not sure what I did since I cant repeat it again.

Third time after booting, when GPU worked fine, I saw mouse freeze, apps freeze, PC freeze. After reboot no signal, black screen. I deleted drivers with DDU, installed newest 23.2.1, changed BIOS to normal (not fast) boot, set 0 to ULPS in reg editor, uninstalled all apps that came to my mind that I installed in last weeks, downloaded all win updates, all drivers are up to date, but GPU shows no signal after booting. I can only work with integrated GPU now and there are no mouse or app freeze then.

I might try pulling out and inserting GPU again, and if that will somehow solve problem I believe problem will return again on next boot, so thats not long term solution.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
PSU 650w
Motherboard MSI B75A-G41 (MS-7758)

Any idea what is causing GPU no signal and how to try to fix it?

0 Likes
1 Reply
vishvajit
Adept III

It sounds like you have been experiencing some hardware issues with your RX 6500 XT GPU. Here are a few things you could try:

Check the PCIe slot: Make sure that the PCIe slot where you are plugging in the GPU is clean and free of dust or debris. You could use compressed air to blow out any dust that may have accumulated in the slot. Also, check that the PCIe slot is firmly holding the GPU.

Check the PSU: Make sure that your PSU is functioning properly and delivering enough power to your GPU. You could check the PSU using a PSU tester or a multimeter to ensure that it is delivering the required voltage to the GPU.

Check the GPU temperature: Overheating can cause the GPU to malfunction. You could use a software such as MSI Afterburner to check the temperature of the GPU. Make sure that the GPU is not running too hot, and if it is, consider adding additional cooling solutions.

Check the BIOS settings: You could check the BIOS settings to ensure that the PCIe slot is set to the correct speed and that the onboard graphics are disabled. Also, check that the power-saving features are turned off.

Test the GPU on another system: You could try testing the GPU on another system to see if it is functioning properly. If the GPU is still not working on another system, it may be defective and you may need to contact the manufacturer for a replacement.

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it may be a good idea to take your PC to a professional technician for further diagnosis.

0 Likes