cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lucky_39
Adept I

GPU Encoder issue for screen recording

I’ve got Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon graphics and RX 6500M discrete GPU with 16 GB RAM. I have AMD smart switch turned on. 

I’ve tried a couple of screen recording softwares. After I install them and configure the output settings as AMD H265 encoder, it works fine. But after I launch a game and click on record, then I get an error such as ‘Starting the output failed. Check your GPU drivers/Adjust streaming and recording encoder’. I’ve had the same encoder issue with OBS as well as Streamlabs but software encoder H264 works on both. 

And the encoder issue won’t get resolved even after clean reinstalling the software, reinstalling latest GPU drivers and checking for windows updates including optional updates. Everything seems to be up to date but I have this error which isn’t getting resolved. Even the software forums couldn’t help. 

If anyone has a fix for this it would be really helpful. 

Jack
0 Likes
3 Replies
lucky_39
Adept I

Here is the latest analysis. When I shut down and turn my laptop on after a couple of hours, start recording on Streamlabs and then launch a game, my recording works fine on AMD H265 encoder. But if I restart and try to record, I get the error of 'Starting the output failed check recording and streaming encoders'. OBS is a completely lost cause since it is not able to record on AMD encoders no matter what. 

So:

If I boot my PC and start recording on Streamlabs, I can record on AMD H265 encoder. If I launch a game at this stage after starting the recording, I can record fine.
But if I end the start a new recording (or) shut down and reboot immediately/restart my device, I get an error. 

Please help.

Jack
0 Likes

Could be due to the unsupported rendering formats on the 64/6500 models?

6500 formats.png

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
lucky_39
Adept I

I don't think so because I'm able to record using AMD h265 encoder as long as I don't launch any game. But once I launch a game then the recordings are not happening.

Jack
0 Likes