cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Jsimpson
Adept I

Games freeze during menus

I recently upgraded to the 24.x.x drivers and ever since then, pretty much every game I try to play freezes when I enter any kind of menu screen, like the title menu, options or inventory screens. I don't think it's an issue with the clock being too low because this didn't happen before and I haven't messed with any of those settings before. It is also happening in games where the menu appears on top of the main 3D render.

The mouse cursor remains responsive and I can move it around and hear the noises from it touching buttons in the game, but the picture stays frozen. Sometimes the cursor itself moves but the rest of the image doesn't update.

If I alt-tab out of the game or bring up the AMD screen overlay, the issue clears and the game continues as normal.

When this happens I get audio hitching and I did a latencymon test and it said DirectX drivers were causing a huge latency spike.

I also noticed I am getting weird effects in high-FPS games, for example, the game will be running at locked 144hz but my 144hz monitor is reporting a fluctuating and rapidly reduced refresh rate from the GPU (it fluctuates between the 30s-100s hz) and the image appears very jerky and almost like frames are being skipped or something.

I'm on a Radeon 6800 GPU and 5600 CPU, B450 motherboard with the latest BIOS and latest chipset drivers installed.

I opened a ticket on the Radeon software when this all started but have had no response from AMD.

Searching online found a few people with similar issues but no sign of a fix.

I've tried absolutely everything I can think of - factory rest install, DDU, updated chipset and bios, new displayport cables, removing background programs, disaplying VRR in Windows, all kinds of stuff. Nothing has helped. I'm even considering a complete reinstall of Windows although I have heard others say this didn't help either.

If anyone has any insight or tips I would really apprecaite it. I am at my wits end.

0 Likes
0 Replies