cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

FrostyBoiGrim
Journeyman III

Games Crashing, Driver Timeouts, and Windows Event ID 1001

Back during the week of the 7th of August (not entirely sure what day) I decided to update my drivers to the (at the time) most recent version. Ever since then, this problem has occurred.

When playing games, my game will randomly start to drop to roughly 5fps before the screen turns black for half a second. While the screen is black my game will crash and Ill get an AMD popup saying that a driver timeout was detected. This has happened across a spectrum of games ranging in graphical intensity on 2 different drives (a hybrid and a sata SSD), with games such as Fortnite, CS:GO, Multiversus, TF2, and Roblox all giving similar results.

After attempting to update my driver again as well as going back a version and then updating again, I remembered the event viewer. Every time these crashes happen, it logs as 4 events in the event viewer, all under event ID 1001. The 4 events are more like 2 events duplicated, as of the 4 theres always 2 pairs that share the same problem signature and attached files, the only difference seems to be under the "Available Here" section. The attached files always mention AMD_REPORT_UM and WATCHDOG.

After finding the event error I naturally went to look for online resources and solves, to no avail. I have tried malware scanning and PC cleaning,turning my computers power mode to Best Performance, uninstalling and reinstalling games, turning off Cloud-delivered protection and Automatic sample submission, reducing my CPU strain and the amount of RAM I'm using, and fully uninstalling and reinstalling both AMD Adrenaline and my drivers to recommended and newest. I even tried some program called "Restoro" that was recommended by a few sites and seemingly did absolutely nothing. None of it worked, and if anything my games actually crash faster now. TF2 used to crash very rarely but now crashes less than 10 minutes into a session.

At this point I now even get the same visual effect as a game crashing while Im just browsing the internet. No solution I have been recommended works because theyre all solves for different problems with the same event ID. I cant play games that I used to be able to run easily.

I just want my PC back and any help is appreciated. If any more info is needed Ill try to provide it in a timely manner.

PC Specs (if needed):
CPU - Ryzen 2600x
CPU Cooler - Wraith Spire Cooler
Mobo - ASUS PRIME A320M-K (yes I know this isnt good)
RAM - Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4-2400 (^)
GPU - Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6600xt
PSU - EVGA 650 BQ bronze

0 Likes
2 Solutions
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Do you use Live Replay? If yes then disable it. It can work really badly with many applications for some reason. 
But WATCHDOG means that something caught up direct system freeze. And that is not something many people would've seen. 

Can you link these event log errors? Maybe some application or dll were mentioned in descriptions Because just using AMD_REPORT_UM and WATCHDOG gives a bit too little info to actually do a search. 

View solution in original post

FrostyBoiGrim
Journeyman III

The solution for me had been disabling Instant Replay and Record Desktop

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Do you use Live Replay? If yes then disable it. It can work really badly with many applications for some reason. 
But WATCHDOG means that something caught up direct system freeze. And that is not something many people would've seen. 

Can you link these event log errors? Maybe some application or dll were mentioned in descriptions Because just using AMD_REPORT_UM and WATCHDOG gives a bit too little info to actually do a search. 

Vynski
Exemplar

I hope you have first disabled the integrated graphics in the BIOS.

Second; I notice that this motherboard does not support PCIe 4 and that could be causing some of the problems with a PCIe 4 GPU such as the RX 6600XT.

I have had some bad experiences with Realtek driver conflict.  Their LAN drivers did not like my Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 drivers and any update, even Windows seemed to trash the Intel drivers.  Also the Realtek Audio drivers are pathetic.  I use Sound Blaster sound cards in all of my desktop PC's and disable audio in the BIOS.  Since I only use Wi-Fi network i also disable the Ethernet LAN in the BIOS.  

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
FrostyBoiGrim
Journeyman III

The solution for me had been disabling Instant Replay and Record Desktop

0 Likes