cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BigFeef
Journeyman III

Games Crash, Monitors go black but one comes back, gpu goes into safemode

I installed a new Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD. Cloned it from the old Sandisk Plus 120gb SSD using Samsung's Data Migration software. After cloning i converted the new drive to GPT and changed bios to UEFI to boot. The problem is that games crash after an hour or so of gameplay, both monitors go black, main monitor comes back to desktop, discord crashes with it for some reason, and i am able to see the crash bug reports. Radeon Software tells me that something happened and the gpu is in safe mode now and i need to reboot to use acceleration. The other crash report that i get is from the game saying that something happend and the game closed. I only got BSoD once.

It does not matter if the game is installed onto the new ssd or the other drives, nor does it matter if the new ssd is even plugged in. Something else is causing this issue. It does not matter what game im playing it'll crash. Though surprisingly some games handle it better like overwatch, and it's been a while since fortnite crashed. Minecraft, No Man's Sky, Fortnite, Project Zomboid, Fallout 4, Deep Rock Galactic, they all crash at some point.

Things I've done to try to fix but none of these worked:

• Update drivers to 23.4.1(latest as of now)
  • Updated windows 10
  • Revert back to old drivers, but when i did that the screens started to flicker these weird green lines and began to look like as if the screen was broken. Though i managed to fix it by factory resetting the gpu in the radeon settings.
  • When changing graphic drivers i made sure to run DDU in safe mode when swapping. I also prevented windows from installing it's own drivers. Though i'm not sure if that worked as i got some notifcations from windows that the gpu drivers did not work and windows installed its own.
  • Updated BIOS to 6042 as the newest one is still in Beta.
  • Ran Memtest 86 on my dual channel memory and they passed.
  • Stress tested a bit using Furmark and Heaven Benchmark but both cpu and gpu ran fine.
  • Made sure cables and parts were plugged in all the way.
  • Swapped Hdmi cables.
  • Installed windows 10 on the new SSD and unplugged the old ssd as a backup. Games still crashed in the windows 10 installation.
  • Ran Diagnostics test on the new SSD using Samsung Magician
  • Ran /sfc
  • Checked Who Crashed? But i guess it doesn't work as it is not a system crash. The computer is still somewhat operational after the game/monitor crash.
  • Removed the new ssd, wiped it, went back to my old ssd after giving up. Crashes still happened with the old setup.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200mhz (D.O.C.P enabled, set at 2666mhz as it is stable with my cpu)

Motherboard: PRIME B350-PLUS

GPU: MSI RX470 Armor 4GB OC

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 80+ Gold, Model:L11-500w

Storage:
Sandisk Plus 120gb (my old old boot drive in MBR)
Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD (trying to use as my new boot drive in GPT)
1TB HDD (Game installations)
500GB HDD (other programs)

Left monitor: ASUS VS228-P 60hz (connected by display port to hdmi)
Right monitor: Acer SB230 75hz

Two days i managed to get a bluescreen. Here's the dumpfile: https://www.mediafire.com/file/l5daizgua2vsv8b/MiniDump.zip/file 

0 Likes
1 Reply
BigFeef
Journeyman III

0 Likes