cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Diego6k9
Adept I

FreesyncPremium Pro capped to 400 nits on HDR OLED displays (Samsung Odyssey G8 OLED for me)

It seems like it's not possible to go above 400 nits HDR screen brightness with AMD GPUs. I had to find out the hard way, after buying a Samsung Odyssey G8 OLED monitor. 
No matter what I try, it is limited to 400 nits. I have an RX 7900 XTX. This is not acceptable for your flagship product which cost me a good amount of money. I really wanted to give you a chance this generation, and to be honest I'd be really satisfied if it wasn't for that specific issue. I hope you can get it fixed in a future driver update (hopefuily sooner rather than later).

Some additional information:

• RX 7900XTX Nitro+
  • Using latest driver (23.4.3)
  • i9-13900k CPU
  • Samsung Odyssey G8 OLED monitor connected via HDMI 2.1, but same issue with DP cable
  • Windows 11 is up to date
  • I'm not alone with this issue, seen people complain about it on reddit too
  • Hardware Unboxed made a video about this issue
  • Samsung support more or less told me that they don't know whether they can fix it with a monitor firmware update. I don't think it's an issue with the monitor though, as it works perfectly fine on NVidia GPUs

Please fix this soon.

19 Replies
Diego6k9
Adept I

Only way to get 1000 nits peak brightness is by disabling the game mode, which limits the refresh rate to 100. Still not acceptable, as with an NVidia GPU you get 175hz, VRR, and 1000 nits peak brightness.

Diego6k9
Adept I

Dear AMD Support Team, It would be great if you could at least let me know whether you have acknowledged this issue. It is very easy to reproduce.

Diego6k9
Adept I

Nothing changed with driver version 23.5.1. No new monitor software so far...

Diego6k9
Adept I

Still waiting for you guys to acknowledge this issue. 
Nothing changed with driver version 23.5.2.

QuteZilla
Journeyman III

Supporting this post, I have the same issue and it's very frustrating, with a Samsung Oled G8 / Ryzen 7 5800x3d / RX 6950xt.

Thanks! I hope we can get them to acknowledge and fix this soon!

ut_falcon
Adept I

Sounds similar to what's going on with Samsung TVs and freesync with HDR mode, picture is half brightness and washed out compared to when using freesync with SDR.

Spont3X
Journeyman III

Thank you for this thread!

I recently got my first all AMD system with a 7900 xtx and I never expected to encounter a problem with the monitor – especially since it claims to have AMD FreeSync Premium. That’s beyond frustrating after spending that much for my system and the monitor…

Diego6k9
Adept I

Adrenalin 23.7.1 out, no changes whatsoever. The issue still persists. My monitor got a firmware upgrade (v1504) which made it even worse. The "Peak brightness" setting can now only be set to "high" in HDR mode.

AMD please fix your FreeSync HDR pipeline to allow more than 400 nits.

Victimdies
Journeyman III

I have a 7900xtx Nitro+ paired with a 7900x, just brought home the 34" Samsung Odyssey G8 and experienced the exact same issues.  It appears AMD has no interest in fixing this problem.  Luckily I am still within the return window with Amazon.  The monitor won't be going back, rather the 7900xtx in favor of the 4080.

Yeah this issue is out there for quite some time now and they haven't even acknowledged it, sad. I love the 7900XTX but this issue is really annoying.

anoriginalmoniker
Journeyman III

Just joining in to see if this ever gets updated.

tanazzz
Adept III

Good luck getting ANY bugs passed through the GPU driver development team. They literally do not care. There are multiple multi-year GPU bugs that have been reported >100 times both through the forums,through wattman bug reports and through AMD customer support and nobody cares to address them. The contrast between the CPU and GPU division (CPU division just fixed a 2 year old Ryzen 5000 bug) is astounding. Absolutely disgusted with the amount of unadressed important GPU issues that've been demonstrated over and over again in these forums and in the amd subreddits.

Gagabuba
Adept II

Cant believe this hasnt been acknowledged at all. I will think twice before buying any amd product if their dev team are this clueless or ignore their users' problems...

0 Likes

The GPU driver team's strategy is "ignore an issue until it's so big it's actually going to hurt the company PR wise". Also what do t hey have to lose? AMD already has a reputation for horrible GPU drivers and reviewers are praising them for improving nowadays because they only use their GPUs for a few days to complete their reviews. They don't know the 5000 minor annoyances that take place when living with an AMD gpu day-to-day.

0 Likes

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/problem-with-enabling-hdr-on-7900-xt-with-qn90a-tv/td-p/575236

I wanted to buy the monitor but since I have an amd gpu I erased that option. Its a bad time when your product limits your customers options. This thread may help but I can't be bothered to go through the process myself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/158cb8b/samsung_odyssey_g8_oled_capped_at_400_nits_hdr/

0 Likes
Ragunator
Journeyman III

The G9 Neo has had the same issue for over a year now, Freesync Premium Pro is far too dim. It sounds like the G8 OLED is now having the same issue. I hope Amd and Samsung will look into it now that it's gaining traction. I never had this issue when I was using a GeForce card with adaptive sync on the G9 Neo, it only started after I switched to a 7900 XTX.

0 Likes
Rational
Journeyman III

Exact same issue on odyssey neo G7 32", just installed my 7900XTX yesterday and this issue just ruined it for me.  AMD please get your **bleep** together and fix this asap.
It was working fine on old RTX 2070, you hear it amd a RTX 2070 vs your 7900 XTX, **bleep**ing pathetic of you to not even acknowledge the thread.

0 Likes
Torbag
Adept I

Was this fixed?

0 Likes