Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

georgekps
Adept III

Freesync problem and a dire need for help

Hello guys

I've posted numerous times about the problems i have with every driver after 22.5.1

I need to ask for your help once more (until i eventually move to nVIDIA since i don't see AMD doing anything substantial with solving driver problems).

Please, please, people with Freesync monitors, i ask for your help.

I have a problem with FRTC (Frame Rate Target Control). I have a FS monitor with 48-180Hz refresh rate range. When i set FRTC to 178 (to avoid going out of the SF range) my ingame FPS are limited to 167-170 and i also get slowdowns.

I'd like to ask for a favour. Please, those of you with FS monitors, can you set your FRTC to a couple fps below your monitor's max refresh rate and see if the ingame fps are going up to the FRTC value? And if so, can you please reply with your system setup? It would be of great help.

FRTC is found in Adrenalin > Graphics > Advanced.

Thank you in advance!

PC build: 5800X3D, Asus C6H, 6800XT, NVMe, SSDs and HDDs, Creative SBX AE-5, LG 48-180Hz FS 1440p
0 Likes
6 Replies
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Soo... Seems like another person that doesn't read descriptions precisely enough? 

DimkaTsv_2-1667784530447.png

Hmm... i don't remember peak frame rate being equal to avg frame rate limit. FRTC isn't quite sets framerate limit. It sets framerate TARGET and still allows dynamic frametime in range. So basically game runs as normal, just max FPS isn't decided by max load or power on GPU, it is set by FRTC instead. So AVG FPS will ALWAYS be lower than PEAK. It actually may help with games where frametimes are going all over place (but it is impossible to set it for specific game in per-game settings)

Anyways. If you want to force LIMIT FPS, NOT SET TARGET, then use either in game means, or something like RivaTuner. It also can set frametime limit instead of framerate.
DimkaTsv_1-1667784490678.png

That's how framepacing graph looks with FRTC, as it doesn't enforce timers for frames (i set limit for 148 despite having 144 Hz). It isn't syncing frames with monitor anyways.

DimkaTsv_3-1667785041857.png

And that's how looks framerate limit enforced by RivaTuner, because it enforces timers on both rendering and outputing of frames. 

DimkaTsv_4-1667785092117.png

Also i don't get slowdowns. FPS drops can happen everywhere, and it isn't always GPU's fault (engine, asset loading, RAM, CPU waiting cycle etc.), so no limits will save you from them. With FRTC and RivaTuner limits Witcher felt really smooth. No issues. 6750XT 22.10.3

In addition, one question... WHY? Why would you want to limit your FPS to below max monitor refresh rate?
Freesync only works when FPS dips BELOW max refresh rate and basically syncs your monitor refresh rate (in Hz), with in-game frames (FPS) up until lowest possible point (then it begins to output 1 frame per 2 monitor refreshes, which can sometimes be seen as hitch as it goes from 1:1 to 1:2. GSync actually more known for that from what i know). If you have FPS higher than or equal to refresh rate it will just sync up authomatically to closest output. VSync forces FPS to be synced with refresh rate, limiting it. While Enchanced sync allows FPS go wild, while syncing frames to closest outputs, while dismissing ones that were too frequent (like -*-/*--/-*-/*-*/--*/-*-/, etc. bolded and underlined * will represent thrown out frame, while others will be shown at next "/" representing monitor refresh). But both VSync and Enchanced sync work when FPS is higher or equal to monitor refresh rate

Freesync is basically reverse VSync, which works in times when FPS dips below monitor refresh rate, causing monitor by ITSELF to slow down it's refreshes so frames would output in 1:1 (well until they will come so slow that intervals will hit lower refresh rate border of freesync)

--------------

TL:DR: It isn't problem. Everything works like intended. Just not the way TS thought it would work.

Hmmm.. weird 1st sentence but thanks for trying, though you didn't understand what the whole point of my comment really is.

I never said anything about average fps. I  do know what FRTC does, 22.5.1 does this perfectly. It's EVERY NEWER driver that has a problem and sets the ingame max fps lower than the FRTC value.

I'll give you an example because maybe you didn't understand what i'm saying. Guild Wars 2 frame cap is 250fps. That's the engine's cap. If i don't set an FRTC value, it'll go to that limit when staring at a wall for example while i'm in an area that has no enemies. With 22.5.1, i set FRTC to 178 (because my monitor's max refresh is 180Hz) and the max fps i'll get in that game (as well as others) is 178fps. With every newer driver, the max ingame fps is limited to 167-170. I never said that my average fps is limited to 167-170.

Nobody said anything about average fps and i thought it was crystal clear that i was speaking about max fps since i was trying to lower the game fps to a couple of fps lower than my monitor's max refresh rate.

Thank you for the time you spent on your post even though that was not what i was speaking about. For example, you set max fps to 148fps because your monitor's max refresh rate is 144Hz (??) but this doesn't relate to anything i said, especially when it comes to FRTC. And no, i don't want to limit my FPS through Rivatuner since Adrenalin does this perfectly fine. Or it used to do so...

PC build: 5800X3D, Asus C6H, 6800XT, NVMe, SSDs and HDDs, Creative SBX AE-5, LG 48-180Hz FS 1440p
0 Likes

Ok, ok... You can always try to contact support directly for more information or ask forum admins. 
https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Not guaranteing you that you won't get some sort of generic reply though.

0 Likes

That's the reason i'm seeking help from users in here, because i don't believe tech support will give me a solution.

I did send an email but i'm not holding my breath for a reply.

0 Likes

Some more info on FRTC https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/frtc

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Thank you mate but i know what FRTC does. I've been doing this with 22.5.1 and it does it fine. It's every newer driver than that that is the problem.

0 Likes