Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DalGurak
Journeyman III

Freesync Black Flickering/Driver Timeout Issue

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone else has run into this problem, especially if they have a G-Sync module monitor that supports adaptive sync?  I have a 6700XT connected to an AW3420DW (a G-Sync module screen with a VRR range of 1-120hz) running adaptive-sync, and was running into an issue where the screen will "flicker back" - essentially the bottom part of the screen would go black like the monitor was drawing to display an unfinished frame.  See the video below for an example:

Although the issue seems to affect all games, I can only consistently reproduce the issue in Warhammer Total War 2 when the game switches from the loading screen to the campaign map.  After some investigation I managed to determine what causes the issue - if the FPS falls to extremely low levels (as in single digit, a situation which is only really possible in loading screens etc) then when the FPS rises back to normal levels the FPS reported by the screen and the display driver seem to be un-synced.  In the below video you'll see that once the campaign map loads fully then the driver will report approximately 55 FPS which the screen will gradually build up to and then overshoot, at which point it flickers black and then drops back down. After a while this will either resolve itself, and both will sync at 55 FPS, or the display driver will crash and display a timeout error.

There's two ways I've found to resolve this issue - the first is to simply turn adaptive sync off which obviously isn't ideal, and the second is to use CRU to change the VRR range from 1-120hz to 2-120hz which seems to immediately fix the problem.

So I'm left wondering what the actual cause of this issue is.  I'm fairly certain it's not the monitor as it worked without issues on both a 3060TI running native G-Sync, and on my old Vega56 running adaptive sync (I had this back in December 2020 so it was running a much older driver, unfortunately I no longer have it to try with the latest).  With that in mind I'm thinking the issue is either related to the card itself, or is a driver issue.

Happy to hear any thoughts, and whether anyone has run into the same issue!

Many thanks

0 Replies