cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Wight36
Adept I

Fps drops / stutters in some games after installing a new driver (then fine after 15 min)

Hello all,

I dont really have a problem but im trying to understand what is going on.

My current set up AMD 5800x3d / 7900xt / 32GB DDR 4 @3200mhz.

In some games after i install a new driver games such as BF2042 / Warframe / CS2 / Deep Rock Galactic i will get FPS drops and stutter for about 10-15 min. After around that time it will stop and my gaming experence is pretty smooth. Other games such as COD  MW2 / Cyberpunk / Starfield its a pretty smooth experence from the start.

Im wondering what is going on here? im thinking it could be compiling shaders as after i install a new driver it has to install them all over again?

4 Replies
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

Which driver are you using?

Make sure it's the latest: AMD Radeon Graphics Drivers 23.9.3 WHQL

When installing, use the clean install option

0 Likes

I can confirm im using 23.9.3. I've experienced this symptom with every driver since i got the 7900xt in June.

I allways use DDU and use clean install, as i say im not having any issues, I'm just intregued what its doing?

0 Likes
DipakJ27
Adept III

If you want to reduce the amount of time it takes for shaders to compile, you can try disabling shader cache. This will force your GPU to compile shaders from scratch every time you launch a game. However, this can also lead to performance issues in some games, so it's important to test it out and see if it works for you.

Another thing you can try is to use a driver updater tool like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to completely uninstall your old driver before installing the new one. This can help to ensure that there are no leftover files from the old driver that could be causing problems.

I hope this helps!

Dipakjadhav
0 Likes

I've allways used DDU, but as the symptoms are only for about 15/20 min (in select games) then its not really a problem. I'm just trying to find out what its doing and get a bit of eductation from the community.

0 Likes