cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gtrabach
Adept II

Forza Horizon 4 corruption and artifacts in latest driver

Forza Horizon 4 is experiencing issues using the latest Adrenalin driver (23.4.2).

1) In all maps (base, LEGO and Fortune Island), the game is showing a strange black texture in the background.

Corruption in map background.Corruption in map background.Corruption in map background.Corruption in map background.

2) In Fortune Island DLC, everytime a thunderstorm happens, the image corrupts and shows artifacts. After that, it's impossible to play the game because of flashing images.

Artifacts when a thunderstorm happens.Artifacts when a thunderstorm happens.

These problem doesn't happen in driver 22.11.2 or older. DDU and clean install didn't fix this problem.

How to reproduce using driver 23.4.2 (latest)
1) Start the game and drive to any part of the map. In the horizon it's possible to see the textures going dark. It's even more visible in places where have mountains.

2) Start the game and go to Fortune Island. Start the Drift Club race 2, it's a race that starts with a thunderstorm. The image will corrupt and artifacts will be shown. This only happens in Fortune Island because it's the only map of the game that has thunderstorms.

More reports of this issue on Steam:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1293830/discussions/0/3780246883333438310/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1293830/discussions/0/3779119714752625967/

Aside of these problems, the game runs fine without crashes or lags. Again, this problems don't occur in driver 22.11.2 or older.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU: MSI AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT Gaming X 8Gb

MOBO: ASUS Prime B450M-GAMING/BR

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FB 16 GB

PSU: Corsair RM750x Gold

1 Solution
gtrabach
Adept II

I'm glad to confirm that this issue is fixed in Forza Horizon 4 using driver 23.7.1. Thanks everyone for the help.

View solution in original post

33 Replies
gtrabach
Adept II

ljeancler
Adept I

Confirmed, I have the exactly same problem here on Forza Horizon 4 with drivers 23.4.2 and Radeon RX 6700

gtrabach
Adept II

Bump so more people can see.

doncor7
Adept II

I have exactly the same problem

unknown_2023.04.27-18.44_1 (1).png

Ryzen 5 5600; ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING; Sapphire RX 6600 Pulse; G.Skill Trident Z 3200GHz CL14 /2x8 Gb; Seasonic Focus-GX-750W 80 Gold Plus; LG 27GR75Q-B QHD; Windows 11 Pro 23h2; Kingston KC2500 250Gb M2. /Kingston NV2 1TB M.2; SSD Crucial MX500; HDD WD Blue - 1T.
gtrabach
Adept II

Tested with 23.4.3 released yesterday and the same problem occurs.

Corruption in map background while there's no thunderstorm.Corruption in map background while there's no thunderstorm.

Artifacts when a thunderstorm happens.Artifacts when a thunderstorm happens.

Sent a bug report.

unknown_2023.04.27-16.40 (1).png

Ryzen 5 5600; ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING; Sapphire RX 6600 Pulse; G.Skill Trident Z 3200GHz CL14 /2x8 Gb; Seasonic Focus-GX-750W 80 Gold Plus; LG 27GR75Q-B QHD; Windows 11 Pro 23h2; Kingston KC2500 250Gb M2. /Kingston NV2 1TB M.2; SSD Crucial MX500; HDD WD Blue - 1T.
ljeancler
Adept I

The problem is still here with drivers 23.4.3 (Sapphire RX 6700 Pulse, i7 8700, Windows 10 Pro 22h2, 16Gb)

i still have the same problem aswell it wasnt present in 22.5 drivers

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you all used the bug report tool in Adrenalin? That is the best way to get this fixed.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Yes, I sent a bug report using 23.4.2 and 23.4.3.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Thats great. Clearly this is a reproducable issue and I hope it gets resolved. If I didn't need the newest optimizations, I would run the last drivers that functioned properly for me and use those until new drivers drop.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

I'm using 22.11.2 for now, the last driver where this game run without issues.

But one of the objectives of my topic is to inform other users (and also AMD) of this problem in newer drivers, as I saw reports of this problem on Steam but no one knew exactly what it was. Now it is already clear that it is the recent drivers.

gtrabach
Adept II

After more than two months that the problem is occurring and a month since the opening of this topic, there's still no official word from AMD acknowledging this problem nor ETA on when it will be resolved.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you reported the issue to AMD using the bug report tool in Adrenaline, or using the contact button on the AMD customer support page? https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Yes, both. Still no answer from official support, I've sent everything they asked for.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I believe it is a holiday this weekend, so hopefully they reply Monday. I can't give you an official time line as I don't actually work for AMD and am not privy to that kind of information. I will @Amber_AMD and @Sam_AMD so they know this has been happening. 

Thanks. Any help is welcome.

Thank you for looping me in @cpurpe91!

Hello, @gtrabach nice to e-meet you, and welcome to the Red Team.

I reached out to our friends in Support yesterday, and see that my colleague @Matt_AMD has acknowledged your post (issue). Please, see his response below...

By the way, I thank you for posting/sharing this issue on Reddit, very thoughtful of you. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Thanks for the help, @cpurpe91 and @Sam_AMD.

Driver rollback works, but we need a fix for newer drivers.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the posts, this is a known issue which we are investigating. 

Once I have more information to share, I'll be back to update the discussion.

Thank you so much.

Freeco
Adept I

Does anyone know as of which driver version this started? I've only started exploring Fortune Island quite recently, so I have no idea when it did work properly.

When I look at the driver history for my RX6650XT there's 7 archived drivers from 2023 alone. Don't want to try all of them...

An ETA on the fix would be nice too...
(I've sent a bug report as well)

It began with 23.2.1 driver.

You can use 22.11.2 or older to play without issues.

ok, thanks, then I'll rewind 6 months

edit: actually... installing 22.11.2 makes things worse! When I launch FH4 I get the splash screen for a moment, then the Steam client crashes and the splash screen disappears. I can't get FH4 to run at all.
NFS Heat does still run, so it's not my Steam client that's corrupted. And it did run an integrity scan of my FH4 local files.

I installed 23.5.1 again and FH4 starts properly. Still with the visual artifects on Fortune Island of course.

Weird... I'm using 22.11.2 for FH4 and others game and everything is normal. Did you used DDU before installing the 22.11.2?

no, I didn't use DDU. I considered it, but as it mentions 'DDU should be used when having a problem uninstalling/installing a driver or when switching GPU brand.'. It's neither.

I just installed 22.11.2 ontop of the current version, and it installed just fine.
Could try DDU though. But for the moment, as a workaround, I'm having fun on Fortune Island until a thunder storm strikes. Then I travel back to the mainland ASAP and travel back to Fortune Island again. That typically clears the artifacting until there's another storm.

Confirming this is a problem since 23.2.1 to 23.5.2 in Forza Horizon 4 (and Forza Horizon 3!) I can make a separate post or elaborate here if needed, but FH3 has much of the same problem as FH4's Fortune Island DLC with the artifacts during thunderstorms shown in the original post (worse, in my opinion.)

Game settings: Highest @ 1440p 165Hz, but also tested many lower graphics options

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GPU: Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Mainboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi | RAM: G.Skill 32GB DDR4-3600 | PSU: Corsair RM750x Gold | Software: Windows 11 Pro 22H2 w/ Adrenalin 23.5.2

I have sent in a few bug reports on this issue, but will send another for both FH3 and FH4 on 23.5.2. Hoping for a fix soon.

Back with some screenshots if AMD is investigating this problem.

Forza Horizon 4: I noticed in random weather conditions in certain seasons, the dark haze/texture mentioned in the OP gets worse. Some of these pics are older (due to the rolling seasons w/ diff. weathers) but still in relevant driver versions. Here's a few screenshots

Forza Horizon 3: When you load the game, you are auto-sent to a festival, which has a light show (artifacting/glitches) that gives the FH4 Fortune Island one a run for its money. The screenshot is included in the album above.

@Matt_AMD Could you please check with the driver dev team if this issue in FH3 is caused by the same issue on FH4? This way both problems would be fixed in the same time.

I don't have FH3, so unfortunately I can't test.

gtrabach
Adept II

I'm glad to confirm that this issue is fixed in Forza Horizon 4 using driver 23.7.1. Thanks everyone for the help.

Thanks for the update (I hadn't even been checking), FH4 and FH3 both confirmed working great again.

0 Likes

FH3 still has the issue with disco effect in the menu background, didn't check FH4 yet.

0 Likes