cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

evono
Adept II

Feature Suggestion: A Background FPS Limit.

Nvidia got it in their driver its a simple but great feature.

You set a FPS limit of 20 for all games now if you tab out your game gets limited to 20 FPS this saves Energy and power.

and just before people say "But chill does that " no it doesnt if you move your mouse around on desktop the Game gets more FPS even when in background!

More can be read here  what i mean and more including screenshots , videos of benchmarks running and stuff.

Feature request for AMD drivers ( small one ) : Amd (reddit.com)

AMD sadly only got "Foreground" limiters but no Background Limit.

9 Replies
Tiletiletile
Journeyman III

Having just moved from Nvidia, I already really miss this feature.

0 Likes
JFM
Adept III

Chill works as simple frame limiter if you put both values same (no more fps increase with mouse movement) 

Other than that there is "Frame Rate Target Control" below Advanced, in Gaming tab. You can use it as well. There are slight difference between them (tho I can't remember now) and most ppl recommends Chill but you have the option. 

@Tiletiletile 

0 Likes

Thank you for your attempt to help.

Most games and the Radeon panel itself already have "simple frame limiters".

This request is explicitly about having a separate limit when the game is not tabbed in.

I play a couple games that involve a lot of browser use, or downtime between matches, where I'm not going to close and restart the game but I also don't need 60 fps, I only need 20 or 10.

If chill were improved to handle that situation that would be fine, but either way until then it's not the solution.

This is a relatively simple feature that nVidia cards have had for a long, long time, and is a good power-saving feature. Low hanging fruit to add.

This isn't the first time it has been requested either, googling for "radeon background fps" shows several results.

That's my bad, I totally misunderstand the question. 

I didn't even know Nvidia had this, and I was using Nvidia for recent 7-8 years until few months ago -_-

And from my quick search I found this that can be used as alternative -> https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/dd3ou3/automatically_limiting_fps_in_background_using/

Honestly it is a good feature, I alt-tab a lot as well so I might use it myself. 

A second (but not as useful) alternative might be using Chill as background limited by activating its shortcut manually. I wouldn't do that myself as I always forget but just putting it here. 

0 Likes

this doesnt work because it works with "idle" time , same as chill faills what i want todo when not idle but tabbed out = fps cap.

EG 20 fps max background = tab out = 20 fps nothing else.

0 Likes

No it works. I am using it since I found about it. Don't mind the name of the command.

It is as simple as locking the game to 10 fps (or more/less, depends on number) when it is on the background. Just add "IdleLimitTime=100000" like the post says, restart RTSS and it works.

0 Likes

Just check the Reddit post i linked , i explained it there thorough and deep why what you say is plain not a solution and wrong.

0 Likes
roblfr
Adept I

Is this implemented in the meantime?

0 Likes

nope sadly

0 Likes