cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ADyingGod
Adept I

Fallout 3 & New Vegas Crashes on 24.1.1

I'm unable to play Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I can't even load a save or start a new game. Instant crash to desktop and removing all the mods, tweaks, INI settings or having the game in its vanilla state doesn't seem to have any effect. Rolling back to previous version solves the problem but I don't plan to stick with older drivers just to play a 13 years old game. Any solution to this problem in the next release would be appreciated. I have a 6750 XT. I'm enjoying to overall experience but these minor things adds up.

104 Replies

It isn't fixed. 

Rakun94
Journeyman III

Here's a workaround  if you don't want to roll back your drivers:

Release Version 2.3.1 · doitsujin/dxvk · GitHub

> Extract all the DLLs from the folder dxvk-2.3.1\x32 to your game's root directory. 
Nvidia d3d9 perf fix at Fallout New Vegas - mods and community (nexusmods.com)

manually download this and extract the dll file to root directory, overwrite when asked.

Good luck

just made an account to reply to this, worked perfectly with fallout 3, I can finally start a new game now so thanks!

thereallaleccross
Journeyman III

Is this really the AMD experience: breaking a 14-year-old game, then just radio silence? This is embarrassing. I never had this issue with Nvidia, and if I ever did, it would be fixed in days not months!

JackWilmslow
Journeyman III

hello is there an update to this, I have the Anthology series and the only games that do not work is Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Broble
Journeyman III

Been looking for a solve for ages, found one.

Now this may only be specific to intel cpu users BUT it worked for me so imma put my solve below for you guys.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/17209?tab=files&file_id=82734

that link right there^ when downloaded and extracted will give you two important files.

The first being "FALLOUT" this one goes in My PC> Documents> My games> Fallout3, when prompted click "Replace"

The second file is "d3d9.dll" and this one goes in the Fallout 3 folder (my path is SteamLibrary> steamapps> common> Fallout 3 goty) AND BOOM. MY GAME FINALLY WORKS. 

I tried all the above listed things (and more) none worked for me I hope this helps atleast some of you.

Hi, does this work with New Vegas as well?

0 Likes

Thanks mate! This worked for me with a 6800XT ^_^

Cheers

0 Likes
reclaimer9
Journeyman III

i have a 6800xt and am on driver v24.3.1, with the same issue. both fallout 3 and fallout new vegas crash after initiating a new game

Nick_15607
Adept I

I was so excited to play some Fallout NV for the first time in years. Is AMD really going to leave us without a resolution?? Between DLSS 3’s power and AMD’s constant blunders, kinda regretting my 7900 XT choice…

Wobby123
Journeyman III

I was so hyped to do a playthrough of New Vegas after watching the show. I've reinstalled the game multiple times and it just crashes and won't let me start a new game. 

Pedrogs25
Journeyman III

Same issue.

I got the game a long time ago and with the show i finally want to give it a try but as you can see the intro runs but in the first loading screen game close.

I think i will try fallout 4 instead until AMD save us, keep sending them reports in their support, maybe they notice us

same here, got a RX 7600, have they given any word on this issue? from what i am seeing this has been an issue for 2~ months and for such a popular game thats a long time

giggskadabra
Journeyman III

Guys i used this fix and i got it to work, 

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/17209?tab=files&file_id=82734

Just add the d3d9.dll to the install folder and itll work 

0 Likes

not a fix ! it will make everything flikers

Chaosmeister
Journeyman III

I registered just to post here that I am having the same issue. Wanted to play some New Vegas after the Fallout series and crash on vanilla install when starting a new game and the Doc Mitchell scene should load. 7900XT here. 24.3.1 Driver. Great showing by AMD when people enjoy the Fallout Amazon series, get the itch to play, and can't. Fantastic.

Small Update. I did try the suggested DXVK solution just to see, and the game at least starts this way. I haven't dug too deep to see how I get it to Windowed/Borderless yet, but it is a start. You need to run it windowed for better performance.

0 Likes
Lainkml
Journeyman III

Just update for 24.3.1 for i have 24.1.1 before and its off my card in device manager, and have issues with games, that why update your drivers for the newest, i use RX 6600 and have similar problem before.

0 Likes
Ravayak
Adept I

There is no Stable fix... neither DXVK or any dll files

proof :

There's certain steps you have to take for DXVK on AMD. You have to force windowed in native resolution or it will lag. Also install script extender and some of the optimization mods and you'll be golden. Most people get more FPS on DXVK than DX9 from what I've seen online comparing before and after.

josh34583
Adept I

Was thinking of giving fallout 3 and new vegas another go with the release of the fallout tv series, but it is sad to see that months after this was reported the game still crashes after loading a new game. 24.3.1 drivers on a 7900xt. 

Carcosa2049
Journeyman III

I created an account today to say I have this problem as well and have been frustrated for over a month trying to fix it. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with this issue. I’m new to computers and this is a major headache as a console player. I never thought this could be an internal issue. I was playing the game just fine then out of nowhere one day I couldn’t start a new game anymore. I never downloaded any mods since console commands did what I wanted so I was confused as to why it didn’t work. Hopefully they fix this soon since the show brought back a lot of players. Can’t even play my favorite fallout. Playing 4 while waiting for New Vegas to be fixed doesn’t hit the same.  

thegloryth
Journeyman III

hey guy i found a solution, just find an old mod in nexus link here: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/62391

I think the problem is game seem to detect your advance GPU hardware and freak out because a very high perfomance inout, so you have to fool the game hardware detection that your hardware is old model.

enjoy guys!

0 Likes

Nope not a fix sur you can lauch the game but shader dosn't compile properly and then evrything flikers.

codingInCrocs
Journeyman III

Made an account to come post a solution I came across online. Not sure if it will work for everyone, but it did for me. I have an AMD 5700 XT, Windows 10, AMD 24.3.1. I was having issues launching the game. Launcher menu would appear but after pressing Play the game would crash. There is a mod on Nexus Mods called "Intel HD graphics Bypass package". I don't want to post links because I'm new and not sure what all the posting rules are. Do a search for it and you should find it pretty quick

Once you find the mod you can download it manually and put the d3d9.dll file in your Fallout3 main folder and then place the INI file in your Documents/MyGames/Fallout3 folder and replace the current INI file with the one from the mod. This basically tricks the game into thinking you have a Nvidia card and bypasses whatever issues I was having. Hope it helps!

Nope not a fix sur you can lauch the game but shader dosn't compile properly and then evrything flikers.

Nezzu
Journeyman III

AMD needs to fix this; rolling back the driver isn't acceptable and while the dxvk and other crafty homebrew workarounds to convince the game that you are using some other non-amd GPU work for some, it doesn't work for all.

TitanRFS
Journeyman III

I downgraded my AMD drivers from 24.3.1 to 23.11.1 and it started playing like nothing happened from what i can say the quickest fix is this without modding the game. (Fallout New Vegas)

PC Specs

RX 6600 8GB

Intel i5-12400

Windows 10 Latest Update

24GB Ram

GOG version of the game.

0 Likes
jAckb0t
Journeyman III

Still not fixed, i tried steam and gog version, i dont want to rollback just for one or two games that i buy, and that is 13 years old... Pls AMD fix that so we can enjoy these masterpieces. 

digibluez
Adept I

can you guys at AMD look at it, i wanted to play fallout 3 since the TV show, but game crashes no matter what i do

Everyone new or coming back to this thread also be sure to submit bug reports, I don't know how reliably they check these forum threads but clogging up their report log with enough issues is bound to get someone to notice eventually.

beardyrouge
Journeyman III

I had this same issue with Fallout 3 in a 6600 on Windows 11. After trying several fixes by modifying the core file games and messing with settings, the only one that helped was to fool Fallout into thinking I had an NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS via the mod found in NexusMod "Intel HD graphics Bypass package".

This was after also using the unofficial patcher in Fallout and doing a ton of other modifications that come with it, so your mileage may vary, but you may want to try this workaround (didn't see any downsides in performance), while AMD gets their stuff together.

Cage
Journeyman III

I am so sick of this company man. This issue was brought up in Feb, AMD knows they broke Fallout, knew the show was coming for months, yet doesn't give a F. I just hate having issue when I try to use my $500 product. "O this game won't work O yeah my dumb F bought an AMD...." Here we go again. 

ericthener
Journeyman III

so will they fix this or not?

Who the F knows its Amd they dont give a crap

Coffeequest
Journeyman III

I am bumping everyone to help request an AMD fix. I may try the mod route, but I really would much prefer a native fix.

kewee
Journeyman III

Having the same problem here with 24.3.1 and Fallout 3 and NV

Nick_15607
Adept I

No acknowledgment from AMD and it’s been this long is ridiculous. Should’ve gone Nvidia with my new build. 

4xRED
Adept I

How did they break a 14y old game lmao. 

0 Likes
Nazrex
Adept I

Same problem.   Been having this issue for almost a year now!

Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4 fails to launch with a Radeon RX 7800XT.  They launch, with an older Radeon RX 580.

Skyrim Anniversary Edition, also launches with both... 

Fallout 4, being the newest of each... should at the very least launch without issues, but it instead immediately crashes to desktop as soon as you attempt to launch it.

Fallout TV show making more people want to play these older Games but they dont work!  

I tried DVXK like others suggest but this also does not work!

When is AMD going to fix this!