Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thatoneguy
Journeyman III

Error 1603 Cant install Disply Driver

Hi all,

Recently I've been trying to install the newest AMD drivers for my RX 480 and I've been getting the same 1603 error over and over again. When I look at the log it says that when downloading the driver it failed when installing the Display Driver. I've tried clean uninstalling, I used the AMD uninstaller tool, I even tried deleting the AMD folder. Nothing seems to be working. I could really use your help.

System specs:
CPU: i5-6402p
​MOBO: MSI B150M BAZOOKA
​RAM: 8gb DDR4
​OS: Windows 10 64-Bit(up to date)
​GPU: RX 480
​PSU: 500w

0 Likes
7 Replies

Follow AMD advice about Error 1603: Error 1603 – A General Error Has Occurred During the Installation of the AMD Software Package

This website is similar to AMD Advice but a little bit easier to understand with images: How to Fix AMD Error 1603 - Appuals.com

Sometimes updating to the latest Motherboard BIOS and Chipset may help AMD drivers to install.

BIOS - 7982vIF - 12/13/2017

Intel Management Engine - 12/06/2017

0 Likes

I'll try updating the bios and chipset

0 Likes

I updated to the latest BIOS and Intel Management engine and it did not work. Do you think a clean install of windows would do anything?

0 Likes

Follow the troubleshooting tips in the links I gave you.

Try this basic way to properly uninstall the AMD drivers first:

Download the correct Full set of AMD drivers from AMD Support Driver download page.

Use Windows 10 Uninstall program (Control Panel) to uninstall all AMD related software and Driver.

Delete C:\AMD folder and disable or disconnect the Internet from your computer. This prevents Windows Update from installing a different Display driver before you have a chance to install the new driver. Deleting the C:\AMD folder prevent old and new files from installing together possibly causing corruption during your AMD driver installation process.

Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstall) and run it in safe mode. It will do this automatically when you click to run it in safe mode. After it reboots

Reinstall the new Full set of AMD driver that you downloaded. Reconnect the internet. Restart or reboot the computer. Hopefully it will install without any errors. If it does then following the tips in the links from the previous post about other ways to resolve the error.

jmaginarynumber
Journeyman III

See if a DDU uninstall -> fresh install of the latest driver works

0 Likes

I tried DDU and it didn't work

0 Likes

Hey, just want to clarify, I see a lot of people recommending people run DDU, that is not a bad thing, but they are leaving out the most crucial part of how to do that. You have to run it from Safe Mode, it won't remove files that are locked and in use. If you did not do that. Try that again, run ccleaner & clean registry until it doesn't find any errors, and reinstall, with the custom not express setup, choose Clean Install. If clean install isn't even an option then DDU and the Registry Clean did their job. If it is then at this point it will likely take care of the rest. Please give it a try again if you did not do any of these things.

--------

Edit

I'd actually do this next info first:

Next if all that above doesn't work you likely have an issue with Windows updates, all updates fully installed? Verify this, as updates often get hung and subsequent updates don't install. The AMD drivers are always in need of the latest updates especially and .net ones.

0 Likes