cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sean_findlay
Journeyman III

Drivers for MAC OS?

I have an iMac thats having issues with Adobe Illustrator and was asked by Adobe support to make sure the graphics drivers are up to date. I have an AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB installed, but there is no drivers listed for he MAC OS. Is this supported or does MAC take care of the driver updates with the MAC OS versions?

Thank you,

Sean

0 Likes
8 Replies

You need to go to Apple Support to see if they have any current IMAC drivers for your OS.

Need to give more information on your Apple Laptop.  You are not using Apple BootCamp OS correct?

Exactly what IMAC OS version do you have installed?

See if this Apple Forum is useful in installing your laptop GPU : Mojave Laptop Support | tonymacx86.com 

If not, you want to post your question there.

0 Likes
sean_findlay
Journeyman III

It is not a laptop. It's an iMAC Retina 5k Desktop. I am not using an OS Bootcamp. 

It is running 10.14.4 currently. Looks like 10.14.5 was just released so I will try updating.

I don't have a lot of experience with MAC. Does AMD not release stand alone drivers like for windows PCs?

Thanks,

Sean

0 Likes

If there are it would be located here at AMD Download page: AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops 

Otherwise you will need to go to Apple Support or IMAC Forums to find what are the latest AMD Drivers that are compatible.

sean_findlay
Journeyman III

I see now.

Would any of those options apply to the GPU I have installed here or should I follow up with Apple?

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks,

Sean

0 Likes

This website indicates that the MAC OS provides the native Graphic Drivers. This webpage shows how to know if the current MAC OS supports your GPU: Update Mac OS X Graphics Driver 

Found this Reddit Thread that posts all the AMD GPU Cards that are compatible with "All supported AMD GPUs from MacOS Mojave Beta 11" : https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/9gn91k/all_supported_amd_gpus_from_macos_mojave_beta_11... 

From above link. I underlined the closes GPU to your R9 M290X GPU card:

Mac OS includes drivers for any Graphics that came with your mac. The exception is if you added an external option, that may need a third part driver. Even with Bootcamp the drives still a certified and distributed by APPLE the ones listed on the AMD site are here as a courtesy and are identical to the ones from APPLE. If you are having any issue with the drivers they need to be reported to APPLE SUPPORT.

I got an AMD Radeon RX 6800 and drivers are not in catalina 10.15.7

I got my egpu and everything ready but my imac sees the egpu and the card but I don't have the AMD icone next the clock and I can't tell apps to use the graphic card!

Anyone knows when Apple will release new drivers? or I am even trying to upgrade to Bigsur on my macbook pro 2010 in case those drivers are in there already, but on the Macbook pro 17" 2010 i am not able to instal kext of Bigsur !

0 Likes

MacOS BIG SUR has native drivers for the 5000 series GPU Cards but doesn't seem like Apple has included drivers yet for the 6000 series GPU cards.

I would ask Apple Support which version of Big Sur will support the 6000 series GPU Cards in the future.

Otherwise you will probably need to install Windows Boot-camp OS in your Mac computer to get 6000 series drivers for your RX6800 GPU Card using Windows Bootcamp driver.

0 Likes