cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Sycotek
Adept I

Drivers 23.4.2 Crashing Davinci Resolve

As per title - new drivers crashing Davinci Resolve Studio (18.4.1) just playing back video

Software wil hang and crash log

23.4.1 is fine

23.4.1 however you need to recode the gpu text files for LR and PS for them to use the GPUs again..

Is the intern doing the updates ?

2 Solutions
xela381
Adept I

I can confirm, the 18.5 Beta version has no problem, works fine and has AV1 for AMD cards finally.

Thanks for the tip.

View solution in original post

Thank you for your comment on the fix @Matt_AMD - I have DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 Beta now and it's working flawlessly with AMD Adrenalin Driver 23.4.3.

I was honestly about to lose it. I upgraded my machine for video editing, switching from Intel and NVIDIA to everything AMD - Ryzen 9 7950X and RX 7900 XTX. Nonstop crashes and my entire system was freezing up, mouse movement and everything, and I had to wonder how my old Intel 7700K and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti was performing better with no crashes.

With the DaVinci 18.5 Beta pleased to report no crashes, and best of all I can scrub 4K 60fps uncompressed footage in DaVinci, liquid buttery smooth. Thanks Matt.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
AbreakNrun
Journeyman III

I am having similar issue with just playing a video in Davinci Resolve. Crashes and gives me a driver error. Is that what is happening to you? Is there a way to go back versions to be able to use the app again?

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I probably will not help much but find a steady set of drivers, davinci likes the WHQL a lot! Dont Rush the updates of the program, read the support forums first.

Back up your libraries and projects before update.

Dont ever update anything if you are in a middle of a project. 

Clean render cache often and remove old media clips from the pool. 

Have a look on Blackmagic forums as well. 

Good luck 

The Englishman
GheorgheCND
Journeyman III

I have a problem with Davinci resolve 18, I just import a video and give it play and the program closes automatically, what can I do in this situation?, a future update from AMD could solve the problem?

0 Likes

I had that before, just once, had to do what I said above and get the original file from the camera again.

Try opening with another vídeo editor to see if its file corruption or crop the bad part if possible and render again. 

The Englishman
0 Likes
xela381
Adept I

I have same issue after 23.4.2 update. As soon as I start to play the timeline the driver crash (black-screen and driver reset). 23.4.1 worked fine. And by the way, 23.4.2 is WHQL Recommended....I hope it will be fixed soon; I really need this program.

Ryzen 9 7950 X3D 

RX 7900 XTX Red Devil 

GIGABYTE X670E AORUS MASTER - bios version F10a

G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB DDR5 6000MHz

Windows 10 22H2

Mike2023
Journeyman III

Similar problem here to.

When editing in timeline it causes DR (18.1.4 build 9) to freeze, can still minimize window and when I maximize window DR screen is blank and have to close DR.

The problem for me was: whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.4.2-win10-win11-apr20

Downgraded to: whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.2.1-win10-win11-feb14-2023

and this solved the problem.

Hopefully the next release of Adrenalin will fix this problem but for now I will stick with the older drivers.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please can you try the latest 18.5 Beta build to see if that exhibits the same issue?

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=179277

Thank you for your comment on the fix @Matt_AMD - I have DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 Beta now and it's working flawlessly with AMD Adrenalin Driver 23.4.3.

I was honestly about to lose it. I upgraded my machine for video editing, switching from Intel and NVIDIA to everything AMD - Ryzen 9 7950X and RX 7900 XTX. Nonstop crashes and my entire system was freezing up, mouse movement and everything, and I had to wonder how my old Intel 7700K and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti was performing better with no crashes.

With the DaVinci 18.5 Beta pleased to report no crashes, and best of all I can scrub 4K 60fps uncompressed footage in DaVinci, liquid buttery smooth. Thanks Matt.

xela381
Adept I

I can confirm, the 18.5 Beta version has no problem, works fine and has AV1 for AMD cards finally.

Thanks for the tip.

Same here, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 Beta fixed all my crashes with Adrenalin 23.4.3.

0 Likes
Geno71
Adept III

Hi guys! New here... @AbreakNrun @johnnyenglish @GheorgheCND @xela381 @Matt_AMD 

I just got a Radeon RX 6950 XT a couple of weeks, and this is my first AMD card after almost 20 years of using Nvidia. So a lot to learn, but one of the things I quickly came across, is the same Resolve issue you have described here. Weird timing too, as when I got it, the latest driver was 23.4.1, but just a few days later, a 23.4.2 update came out. Resolve is my video editor of choice (free version is good enough for my needs), and I create new projects about twice a month. Just like you guys have described, after a short period of use, the application crashes.

At this time, I see the same behavior with 23.4.2 and 23.4.3. And sent a bug report to AMD, but I have no idea how effective those are.

I did some digging and monitoring, and here is what I've discovered. It appears that the 23.4.2 introduced a severe memory leak to Resolve. You can simply open a task manager and watch it happen. Look at your VRAM and start playback of any video track in your timeline. The VRAM starts filling up at a rate of around 400-500 MB/s. I have 16 GB, so it takes about 20 seconds for VRAM to get completely full, then it starts "spilling" out to your PC RAM, at the same rate. I have 64 GB with up to 47 available to Resolve. It takes about 30 more seconds for 47GB of RAM to fill up, and then Resolve just closes/crashes. Obviously, it renders it completely unusable.

Right now, I have rolled back to 23.4.1.

I will go ahead and try a beta version of Resolve next and report back.

A side note. Not to claim any other products are better, but I've never had an issue with any Nvidia cards, including my last 3070. I also tested Premiere Pro, and it works fine with the latest AMD drivers. I don't know if this is on AMD or Blackmagic Design. My first thought was AMD, of course, since it's a driver update that breaks it, but now, hearing that a newer (beta) version of Resolve works, makes me doubt that conclusion. In any case, I really don't want to switch to Premiere Pro (even though I have CC access through my employer, so it's free for me), or go back to Nvidia.

PS. I'm sorry about the issues you guys have experienced, but I have to admit, in a way, seeing that it's not just me makes me feel much better. Send them bug reports if you haven't yet. This gives me hope for sure:)

0 Likes
Geno71
Adept III

The beta version of Resolve (18.5) is working fine with 23.4.3. So that's good news, but I still think AMD needs to figure out what broke in the first place. I was this close to just driving back to Best Buy to return this card. I like spending days troubleshooting some random issue just as much as the next guy, but it was not a great first impression. Since we have a solution (I'd prefer not to have to use a beta software, but it's fine in the meantime), I will stick around.

0 Likes
yoclaudioah
Journeyman III

I have same issue on 23.4.2 drivers. After a while I start to play the timeline in full screen, black-screen appears.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800 X3D
GPU: MSI RX 6750 XTX
Windows 11 22H2
AMD Drivers 23.4.2
Davinci Resolve 18.1.4 build 9

I don't have this problem with a card Nvidia 1660 Super.
Hoping AMD get the problem fixed, because Resolve 18.5 is still a beta version

0 Likes

@yoclaudioah 

Yes, I'm not a fan of having to use a beta version as a workaround. To be fair, in the time I did, I didn't experience any issues, but I don't want to come across something when it actually matters. I can also confirm it's not happening with an Nvidia card.

0 Likes

@Geno71 

Updating this thread as things have changed over time. The newest AMD Driver Adrenalin 23.7.1 is working well for me... with DaVinci Resolve 18.1.4 (the official version).

I discovered this because both DaVinci Resolve 18.5 beta 2 (which was the version available when this thread was active) and DaVinci Resolve 18.5 beta 4 (current release) will crash for me pretty quickly once I start DaVinci and I have video clips in the media tray/timeline > with any AMD Driver newer than Adrenalin 23.4.3.

Because the newer AMD Drivers feature so many hotfixes for loads of issues, I resorted to uninstalling the DaVinci Resolve betas and going back to the official release, pairing it with the newest AMD Driver (rather than using the newest DaVinci Resolve beta with the 23.4.3/older AMD Drivers).

Hopefully the next official release of DaVinci Resolve will not have the issues we currently see in the betas.