cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ellensegan
Adept I

Driver timeouts, again and again

Right about done with all of this. So many people have posted this same issue across multiple hardware configs, including different models of graphics cards and CPUs with iGPUs, Win 10 or Win 11, and it's still an issue with the latest driver update.

Is AMD ever planning to put any effort into fixing this?????????

Screenshot 2024-01-27 174726.pngScreenshot 2024-01-27 174803.png

0 Likes
12 Replies
Draxirch
Challenger

I've personally given up on it.

0 Likes

Having the same issue. Uninstalled adrenalin completely and the problem goes away. Miss out on all the nice to have features of adrenalin but at least mh pc will wake from sleep mode now ...........

0 Likes
fpezzino
Journeyman III

Hi everyone.
About 3 weeks ago I assembled my new PC build, with the following main parts:

1) MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX x670E-E Gaming WiFi (BIOS 1807 - It is the latest version currently available)
2) CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950x without X3D cache
3) RAM: Corsair Vengance 4x32Gb (running at 3600 MHz) [they are 2 kit of 2x32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 EXPO - CMK64GX5M2B6000Z30]
4) OS: Fresh installation of Windows 11 23H3
5) Chipset/Video Drivers: AMD Chipset V.5.08.02.027 & Adrenalin V.23.12.1 (WHQL Recommended)

Everything seems to works fine, except video timeout problem and artefacts/glitches
when I use google maps street view (on Edge or Firefox web browser) and when I see video on youtube website (or youtube embedded video on a generic webpage);
theese problems appear practically from the 1st day I installed Windows 11 23H3.

The system is not overclocked, but it is running all at default, except for having manually deactivated the integrated WiFi card and Realtek audio chip.

I installed everything from scratch, so I did a clean Windows 11 installation, after that I installed all the needed drivers (Chipset Drivers + Adrenaline Drivers).
I checked the RAM with MemTest86+ and everythings is OK.

During these days of using and testing the PC, I made changes to the Windows registry to try to alleviate/resolve the problem about iGPU (Video driver timeout and artefacts):
- disabled Windows 11 MPO (Multi-Plane Overlay) by Windows Registry Key ==> This resolves some windows interface problems like cursor disappearing over Edge address bar text box;
- modified Windows 11 TDR DELAY to 60 seconds (Video Timeout Latency Driver) by Windows Registry Key ==> This seems to alleviate the frequency of "Video Timeout" message appears on screen;
 (For more info about TDR, see this official Microsoft Link: How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys". - Microsoft Community)
- changed a setting related to rendering via D3D11on12 (Edge://flags > Choose ANGLE graphics backend = D3D11on12) ==> Annoying heavy graphic glitches and artefacts on Google Maps in Edge web browser are fully disappears, except in some button like "accept" about cookies policy of a generic website.

The day before yesterday, when I power on my Windows 11 PC, with the PC turned off for all the day, I froze at the windows login screen for 2 minutes...
...I was about to reset it from the keyboard CTRL+ALT+CANC keys combination, but then it completed loading and starting Windows, showing me the desktop.
It was a new episode of amd "Video Driver Timeout".

In my opinion all the PC Hardware should be ok, but I can't get rid of this problem.

Have you, owners of Ryzen 7000 series CPUs who use the iGPU, had similar problems?
If so, how did you manage to solve it?
Thanks you all in advance!

Regards.
0 Likes

hi fpezzino,

aside from the lockups at windows login, i'ev more or less been seeing the exact same issues with my build, using a 7950x and no dedicated graphics. everything's running at default settings, i've updated the bios and the drivers to latest stable versions, and nothing helped.

this is almost certainly an issue w/ amd drivers. it's just that they don't look too keen on working on a fix.

0 Likes

Hi ellensegan,

as soon as I'll have enough free time, I'm going to do more tests about video driver problems that I had previously described.

After that, I'll update you.

I Think to:

1) Update my MoBo BIOS to the latest version currently available;

2) Update my AMD Chipset Drivers and, maybe, my AMD Video Driver;

In ultimate, I'll try a modded version of AMD Video Driver (and/or MS AMD Video Driver).

See you next time.

Regards.

0 Likes
Apocalypto
Adept I

I have managed to fix my driver timeout by reducing the clock speed to 2100 (from the default 2200) and by increasing the igpu memory to 2gb (from the default 512mb).

My pc is a newly built 7800x3d, asrock b650 pro rs with 32gb cl30 6000 ram. It was a fresh install, all recommended drivers and absolutely no overclocking. Which made me confused on why I was getting driver timeouts for simply browsing the web.

I have tried doing almost everything, uninstalling drivers and installing again, ddu, disabling mpo, hardware acceleration…. Almost every fix I could find… at least until I came to a thread with someone having similar problems with his 7900xtx, which he solved by lowering the clock speed(the extra memory being given to the igpu was an extra step I added)

In case you have fixed your problem, hopefully someone else struggling, can find this my fix and it will work for them.

0 Likes

How long has this fix been working for? I'm only asking because sometimes you see people getting a temporary reprieve before the problem returns again. If this has been holding for a while, it seems promising (not that we should have to do it).

0 Likes

About a week since I applied the fix. 0 driver timeouts since then, hopefully it will stay like this.

I have to agree, we shouldn't have to do anything other than pay for the products, it's not our job to fiddle with anything to achieve basic functionality

Hey, man, that is good news! Is there any noticeable performance hit from lowering the clock speed?

Actually, the opposite happened, performance has improved. Now if that is because of the extra memory or because it became stable, I don't really know.

Here is the benchmark from before: Generic VGA video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D,ASRock B650 Pro RS (3dmark.com)

And after: Generic VGA video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D,ASRock B650 Pro RS (3dmark.com) 

Thanks, I will try this on my 6900 XT. I'm running a different card now but I still have the system disk for that setup.

ddaff
Adept I

I would like to also report a possible "fix", and just to be clear, we need to fix because AMD Drivers are broken. AMD needs to improve their driver quality and stability . It would be great if we could hear from AMD about troubleshooting these issues. Dozens of bug reports were sent (with contact data) never to be acknowledged.

In short, disabling the AMD iGPU in BIOS reduced the number of driver timeouts for the last 2 weeks (only 1). This does not solve any issues with games ... Fallout NV, just general stability.

The symptoms:  The system was stable with only the iGPU activated. With an older NVIDIA card it was also stable and functional, so I know the system itself is stable. Memory was tested with MEMTEST with 0 errors, with and without EXPO.  Swapped to the 7900 xt with a fresh install of windows 11. All drivers and BIOS are/were up to date, with no change in stability. Benchmarking and gaming was stable and as expected but when the system was left without user input for an apparent random amount of minutes it would black screen with driver timeout. Many times with no successful recovery until a forced reboot. System coming from sleep was most of the time  also resulting in black screens with no recovery.

The system was a little more stable with 23.12  compared to any 24. but not reliable in any case. None of the "fixes" worked like Performance mode, installing without Adrenalin, ULPS disabled.

Some clues:

After months of trying, during my fumbling for some reason or another  I connected one of my displays to the iGPU DP (to be clear, having a display connected to that port was not the standard config). Every time I powered my computer  it was aparent that the iGPU starting sending a signal to the display before the discrete one kicked in and activated my primary monitor.

When coming out of sleep the same happened.

The same when the display was reactivated from power management idle display off.

Several times, when the discrete card timed out to a black screen, the iGPU connected monitor starting showing the image.

So in the all too common frustration of using my PC with an AMD card, I disabled the iGPU and discarded the supposed advantages of an all AMD system ( incl. the black screens). Thus far the system seems stable even with 24.4.1 with the amazing performance in 2024 of showing a screen when coming from sleep and not having to reset the system several times a day. I will report back if it all keeps running well.

So AMD, what is happening when both cards are active? What settings should be actived and why is the software not managing them both well? Will gladly further troubleshoot the issue but we need your help. Maybe Steve needs to take a look at AMD again...helped with the ASUS MB .

The system:

ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI

1000W be quiet! Dark Power 13

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X

G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 2x32GB

Radeon RX 7900 XT - Sapphire Pulse Aktiv

2 - UHD Displays on DP

0 Likes