cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

willa63
Journeyman III

Driver issues with AMD graphics and Windows 11

I have two systems I have built that use AMD graphics and run Windows 11 and am having issues with both of them.

System 1 uses the 5760G CPU and onboard graphics attached 10 a 1080P display. I get display at bootup then when Windows starts display goes black and monitor reports no signal. This has been happening for some time now but I have let it go as I have not been using this system

System 2 7600 cpu and 6550XT gpu attached toa  4k display. System will boot up with display, when Windows starts I get a desktop then shortly after screen goes black and montior reports no signal. If I reboot sometimes it will do the same thing again and other times it will revert to a 1024x768 display. If I look under devices it shows a problem with the amd driver. I uninstall the driver, reinstall the latest driver and system works fine until reboot then back to the same issue again. 

Not sure what is going on with these systems but there seems to be issues with AMD video drivers and Windows 11 that are really annoying. I have been experiencing this issue with both systems for months now, have updated Windows and drivers a few times along the way and sometimes it will work for a little while then back to no display after a restart.

Any ideas what I can do to correct this once and for all aside from going back to Windows 10? Does anyone know if this type of issue exists under Windows 10?  My 3rd system is also running an AMD CPU but with a GEForce card and Windows 10, never have any issues with the display on that one.

0 Likes
8 Replies

Have you been able to run any stress test before you lose your video image?

Have you checked to see if you get video output on both PC's while in Window's Safe Mode?  In safe mode only the MS Basic Display Adapter is running your monitors.

If you encounter the same thing in safe mode sounds like a hardware issue. Possibly PSU Power issues or corrupt Windows OS.

See if you can run OCCT CPU,GPU, & PSU Stress test while in Safe Mode and see if your PSU Outputs are all within 5% Tolerances (3.3/5.0/12.0 vdc)?

If possible, while on Window's Desktop open Device Manager and see if you see any errors or yellow icons showing?

If you do that might lead you to what is causing your issue by upgrading or installing the problematic drivers again.

Also does your Motherboard and CPU support Windows 11 upgrade?

0 Likes

I have mostly experimented with the system that has the card in it. What I get after a reboot is normal up until the desktop loads then after just a few seconds blank screen and no signal. I reboot and it either comes back up in 4k or 1024x768 if in 4k after just a few seconds blank screen, no signal, no time to look at anything settings wise really. If after reboot it comes up in 1024x768 everything is fine. If I go to device manager and have a look I see that the amd driver is disable and shown as having a problem. I remove the driver and reinstall then reboot everything is fine until the next reboot where the problem starts all over again.  Right now the system is up and running and has been running a game constantly for the last 10 days 24/7 no issues, Whatever the issue is seems directly related to Windows and the AMD driver, All hardware seems to be in fine working order and we are talking about two different systems with a similar problem the only common factor being that they both have Windows 11 and AMD video attached to an HDMI connection. The other system is runnign right now with no display. I can still access the shares drives on it so it is clearly up and running but display is blank,no signal. If I reboot I get a display on boot up but is gone when the desktop loads more often than not and even when I get it working and leave it on Windows will restart for updates and display is gone again.

0 Likes

I'm not sure about the windows 11 upgrade support. Windows 11 says it is supported. The CPUs are AMD Ryzen 5600G in one and Ryzen 7600 in the other. Both have different make and model MBs in them and both systems when booted if they retain normal display for more than a few seconds then they work perfectly until the next reboot. 

0 Likes

Sorry, I forgot that you do have supporting CPUs and Mobos. My error.

When your PC video output is working normally try running OCCT Stress tests (CPU, GPU, & PSU) to see if they all pass without the test failing.

These Stress test will determine if you have a hardware or software issue. Hardware issue will like be like overheating, defective hardware (PSU or Fans e.g.) etc.

Also you can see if it is a driver issue that causing the problem by running Microsoft Driver Verifier tool: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/driver-verifier

NOTE: If you have no video output check you Motherboard to see if you have any Motherboard Trouble LED lit or Digital codes showing that would indicate a GPU issue or something else.

0 Likes

I think most of that would be a waste of time. Like I said the one system has been running a fairly demanding game 24/7 for over a week now. It is fine, nothing is failing or overheating. This has been the case once I get it to boot and keep the display for more than a minute or two. Yet when the system reboots the video driver will crash and the display goes away, the only way I have found to get it back is to remove and reinstall the video driver and then once the display is working do not shut down or restart the system, Most recently there was an update for Windows 11 that also caused a problem and I had to remove it as well as the display driver and then reinstall the display driver to get it to work. Again given this is two different systems both of which are basically new I serious doubt there is any hardware issue, what ever the root cause is it is directly related to the drivers and Windows 11

0 Likes

Possibly a conflict between the AMD driver and Win11 in your PC.

I suggest you open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket and ask them their opinion since it seems to be a intermittent issue from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

0 Likes
tanline
Journeyman III

I have the same issue.  I am getting this in the event log and the computer just reboots (no BSOD) - just does an immediate reboot.  Sometimes it would reboot within seconds of logging in.  Most times every few hours.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
GPU AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT
MB ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

I replaced MB, memory even CPU - all the same results since Windows 11 upgrade.  I have since narrowed it down to the AMD Graphics drivers.  I installed AMD Radeon drivers 23.3.1 from March 7, 2023 and viola - the reboots and the hardware errors have not occurred again for the past 3 days.

Can't go back to Windows 10 - so stuck with the old drivers for now - I will also probably create a ticket with AMD.   Anyone have any other ideas?

0 Likes
srwilks
Journeyman III

I was also having problems with my extended display not being recognized (or the monitor recognizing my laptop. it started with a failed VBIOS update, that disabled my Display adapter. Once I went into the Device Manager and enabled my Device Adapter the monitor was recognized and the VBIOS update was completed successfully. This may not be related to your problem, but it solved the issue for me.

0 Likes