cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

daviddwilly
Adept I

Driver issues 18.9.3 & 18.11.1 RX580 8GB

Hi, up until the latest driver updates my system was running flawlessly. I could game and stream (just trying this out) without any issues.

Then one of my friends noticed I was dropping frames and performance in stream.

I ran every test possible to rule out hardware, but I could not manage to game and stream at the same time. I upgraded from 18.9.3 to 18.11.1 (might be 18.11.2 now?) but the issues persisted. I used task manager and AMD link which showed GPU utilisation at 99-100% but VRAM utilisation was only ever 10%.

I checked for a BIOS update for the motherboard which there was and the problem still persisted.

I used DDU and reseated and reconnected my GPU and my PC has defaulted back to 17.1.1, but all of the issues have disappeared.

I tried to upgrade back to 18.9.3 as all drivers had been removed, but the issues came back.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if there's anyway for me to update without encountering these issues?

Thanks in advance.

• AMD RX580 8GB power color red dragon
  • Desktop
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed 17.1.1

B450 ASROCK Fatality mini itx Bios 1.30

Ryzen 5 2600

Aero Cool 700W 80+ Certified Gold

16GB DDR4 3000MH

0 Likes
1 Solution

Did you install/choose the AMD User Experience when you installed the drivers? It's easy to miss, as it's now checked (allowed) by default. If you did...Please read through this post Re OBS:

"AMD User experience Program" drains internet bandwith

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in your browser? This is the usual fix for these issues. All browsers have this option.

Or, you can try right clicking on whatever you are streaming and uncheck hardware acceleration.

Hi Kingfish - thanks for this reply.

What will disabling hardware acceleration achieve?

0 Likes

It stops the 2D application (surfing the web/You Tube,etc) from using 3D hardware resources (graphics card). This is why there is a option. It takes all of 2 seconds to find out if it solves your "issue".

0 Likes

Hi Kingfish, once again I really appreciate the advise and will try as soon as I get home from work.

My issue was not browser related, so I was just wondering what this would show to me?

Thanks again

0 Likes

This is browser related:

"Then one of my friends noticed I was dropping frames and performance in stream."

0 Likes

Hi, The issue was not with his browser, but with my output, through streamlabs OBS.

When I uninstalled the drivers and it defaulted to 17.11.1 everything works again, but when I try and reinstall the latest stable AMD driver the problems reoccur.

So, is there a way for me to upgrade the drivers successfully? or should I wait for a later driver release?

Thanks

0 Likes

I have used DDU and that's what rolled the drivers back to 17.11.1.

I then tried to install 18.9.3 and 18.11.2 and both drivers cause me to struggle to game and stream at the same time. I used DDU each time to roll back to 17.11.1.

Can I update the drivers from 17.11.1 or is that version too old?

Thanks

0 Likes

DDU removes all versions/instances of AMD...you should not have 17.11.1. Did you follow the steps of removal? DDU is run after you have uninstalled the current driver...not before. You should have:

1. Deleted the previous/all drivers from the C:/AMD folder

2. Taken the steps necessary to prevent Microsoft from automatically installing/changing drivers using one or more of these methods > https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&i...

3. Disconnect from the internet while uninstalling and installing the AMD drivers.

Your issue seems to be with OBS....not the drivers in general. Check with them for a update and check their support forum for similar issues.https://obsproject.com/forum/

Morning - I followed all instructions as in your message above, but still no joy.

It must just be a driver and streamlabs OBS confliction, so I'll wait for updates on both sides and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help.

0 Likes

Did you ask OBS support if they have a solution or at least aware of your issue?

0 Likes

Hi, yes I did, I went to their support and their line discord channel support, but nobody was too concerned.

0 Likes
theacclaimed
Miniboss

What settings are you streaming at? You also need to do a local stream test on your PC to make sure it is not a connection issue on your friend's side. This is not a driver issue, this is a stream settings issue.

For Ryzen 2600 the stream output settings should be:

720p 60fps @ 3500kbps on veryfast Preset or 1080p 30fps @ 5000kbps on veryfast preset

Hi, yes I have, no issues their end. It is definitely a conflict with drivers and slobs.

I've switched to relive and I can stream no issues again, either 720p @60fps or 1080p @60fps is fine using relive.

0 Likes

It will not stutter on Relive because relive is offloading the encoding to the Radeon GPU. If you use OBS it will make the Ryzen 5 2600 do all the encoding unless you switch the encoder to use the AMF which will then function the same as relive. You probably have a preset like fast or medium set in OBS and it is overwhelming the Ryzen CPU causing frame drops.

0 Likes

Did you install/choose the AMD User Experience when you installed the drivers? It's easy to miss, as it's now checked (allowed) by default. If you did...Please read through this post Re OBS:

"AMD User experience Program" drains internet bandwith

Hi Kingfish - thanks again for the reply - this seems to have done the trick and all is well again. I couldn't see the user experience using crazy amounts of bandwidth, but disabling it seems to have sorted the issue with SLOBS - cheers for your help with this and everyone one else who suggested a fix.