cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

biboyjohnson
Adept I

Does R7 M440 also have AMD Catalyst? And if so can I reinstall it somehow?

I am using a Dell Inspiron 5567 with a Windows 10 OS. It has both Intel HD graphics and R7 M440.  I have rebooted the laptop once and can't seem to remember if I once had a catalyst installed as I had no games back then. I installed a game and searched the net on how to configure it, and there most videos shows AMD Catalyst in which I don't have. Am I supposed to have Catalyst? And if so, can I reinstall it? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

The latest AMD Driver for the R7 M440 is from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r7-series/amd-radeon-r7-400-series/amd-radeon-r7-... 

The AMD Catalyst is a very old driver format that was replaced by Crimson and then by Adrenaline Drivers.

IF Dell's AMD Graphic driver is extremely out-dated then you can try and install AMD mobile driver and see if it works or not. But otherwise installing Dell's AMD/Intel Drivers are the best choices since they are customized for your Dell Laptop.

Went to Dell Support for your Inspiron 5567 Laptop. It has several Driver updates including an "Urgent' BIOS update for your Laptop. Plus the AMD Driver is  from 2018 which is what I suggest you install first before installing the AMD Driver: Support for Inspiron 15 5567 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell Bulgaria 

Make sure your Intel Graphics and Intel drivers are all updated to the latest. Here is how to update the laptop drivers with Intel APU installed: Laptop graphics update...How to 

View solution in original post

23 Replies

The latest AMD Driver for the R7 M440 is from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r7-series/amd-radeon-r7-400-series/amd-radeon-r7-... 

The AMD Catalyst is a very old driver format that was replaced by Crimson and then by Adrenaline Drivers.

IF Dell's AMD Graphic driver is extremely out-dated then you can try and install AMD mobile driver and see if it works or not. But otherwise installing Dell's AMD/Intel Drivers are the best choices since they are customized for your Dell Laptop.

Went to Dell Support for your Inspiron 5567 Laptop. It has several Driver updates including an "Urgent' BIOS update for your Laptop. Plus the AMD Driver is  from 2018 which is what I suggest you install first before installing the AMD Driver: Support for Inspiron 15 5567 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell Bulgaria 

Make sure your Intel Graphics and Intel drivers are all updated to the latest. Here is how to update the laptop drivers with Intel APU installed: Laptop graphics update...How to 

Does this mean I should first install this before everything?amd.PNG

0 Likes

Sorry I replied to quickly.

No, You first MUST UPDATE all of your INTEL Graphics and CHIP SET Drivers first before updating the DELL AMD Graphics Driver for your GPU. Plus Update your BIOS since Dell considers it an URGENT update.

AMD Drivers works correctly with the latest Intel drivers install on your laptop.

1-Update BIOS

2-Update Intel APU Driver (Graphics)

3- Update Intel Chip sets Drivers and all other latest drivers

4- Update the AMD R7 M440 Dell Driver

Follow the instructions on "How to update your Laptop" in the link I posted from AMD Forums.

rade.PNGAlso ,I have the 19.5.2 Radeon software version of Radeon Settings. Do I still have to uninstall and reinstall some things?

0 Likes

I would use DDU in Safe mode with the Internet disconnected before installing the Dell AMD Driver with the internet still disconnected. Once the AMD Driver is installed than reconnect the internet.

But if the current AMD Driver is working the way you want then you can leave it installed and update your Intel Drivers and see if it makes the AMD Driver you have install work better. You may need to reinstall the AMD driver after updating the Intel drivers.

So far, I've updated the BIOS and most of them then the pc restarted. I went to check back on Dell support and checked to see if there are still some that needs to be updated and so I did, somehow in the middle of it a prompt popped up and the update got stuck at 50%. Should I just close the prompt?rafde.PNG

0 Likes

yes, cancel the installation and reboot again. Then see if you can install it again.

Did the BIOS update install without any issues? 

I tried doing it last night, but the dell site online required me to download the support app on pc, so I did. But it doesn't run. so I've searched the net for solutions and found a fix on youtube. It looks like people are also having trouble with their support app. I did the tutorial and it required deleting some files on the registry. It required to delete a subfolder under WOW6432node. Sadly, instead of deleting the subfolder, I accidentally clicked on the folder itself and it ruined my windows. Right now my laptop doesn't even boot start up. I've also tried the support forum on the Microsoft website but most of them wouldn't work. It's also awful that I didn't have knowledge about recovery drives before. I can't even reset the pc. Still waiting for the mods in Microsoft support for any other fixes. Thank you for the help here.

First, I am really sorry about what happened.

That same thing happened to me a very long time ago. I deleted a Windows folder or file that was critical. Didn't have a backup but did have luckily a Retail Windows Installation disc. Used that to reinstall Windows and went through the pain of reinstalling all my 3rd party apps again. After that,  I always made sure I had more than one SYSTEM BACKUP copy of my Windows OS in a separate Internal or External Hard Drive. That has gotten me out hot water many times from doing a fresh Windows installation due to something stupid I would do while troubleshooting my Desktop computer.

See if Dell Support can sell you a Recovery disc for your laptop. It probably will cost 20-30 dollars. But with it you should be able to put your computer back to the exact way it was after you first purchased the laptop before you ruined Windows.

But before you do that, try and download the Windows version you had installed on your Laptop. creator Media tool.  With that you can download the Windows .ISO file and burn it to a USB. Download Windows 10 

Insert the USB and then in BIOS make sure you are able to boot up on it. When the Windows Installation start go to 'Repair Windows" option and choose "Advance"  Then click on Startup Problems and see if Windows can fix the missing critical folder you deleted. If not, then reinstall Windows with the USB stick in the laptop. Afterwards you can purchase the Recovery Disc from Dell and use that to reinstall all your Dell Apps and drivers again.

NOTE: With Windows 10, if you restart the laptop 3 times in a roll, it should automatically go into "Diagnostic Mode' and try to fix the Startup issue. If it doesn't then you have the two options I mentioned above/

Thank you for the tips, luckily the Dell has like a backup System Support that works even if you deleted it inside the OS. Got my laptop running again. It's also a good thing because the system support runs normally again. I am now downloading the BIOS and chipset updates. It reverted back to a factory state but also had a moment wherein you can get some files as your backup before the reset so I still have the files I need. I really learned this the hard way and will now always remember to save a recovery file in a flash drive. now I will try the steps back to where I left off. Hope my AMD settings will work well after this. Again, thank you very much!

Glad you got your laptop back to working conditions again.

Good luck!

NOTE: Before updating the BIOS, Update the Intel Chipset first, then update the BIOS and see if that works. Many Desktop Motherboard manufacturer says to update the Chipset first before updating the latest BIOS.

After updating the chipsets, should I first update the BIOS before downloading the AMD R7 M440 Dell Driver? Or the AMD before the BIOS?

0 Likes

Do the BIOS update last until you see that everything is working correctly on your laptop. In case the the new BIOS update causes some sort of conflict with the drivers being installed.

If your laptop is working fine without the new BIOS update then wait and open a Dell Support ticket and asked them why the new BIOS update is considered to be "Urgent". Then you can decide whether to update or not.  Generally I suggest updating the BIOS to the latest because the latest BIOS make the computer's hardware more compatible with the motherboard and related hardware like RAM memory and drivers plus it may include some new features that the previous BIOS didn't have.

Hello sir, I’ve just finished installing the amd driver, there is a clickable box below that can be checked to keep systems up-to-date. Should I click on that before checking if it works well or check if the drive works well without updating first?

P.S. The driver installed is Radeon software 17.7 and the latest is on 19.

0 Likes

If you installed the Dell latest AMD Driver than don't click to check for updates since it is going to tell you there are updates available since the Dell driver is from 2018.

See if that Dell AMD Driver (2018) is working correctly and to your satisfactions as far as playing games. If it does, then no need to update to the latest driver unless a game requires it or the latest driver fixes a particular issue you are having.

Don't Dell have an app that checks for driver and program updates for your laptop? You can use that to update your laptop.

Hello sir, I've tested the driver with the game I am playing and I think it's not compatible with the game. It was more laggy than usual. And since I have the DDU, I created a system restore point and tried to install the latest recommended version of the driver software to just see if there will be a difference and right now it is working really great, I think it works greater than before I deleted the WOW6432node. But the only problem is that the upgrade advisor seems to not be working like before, it is Unable to get requirements from any games even if you try to refresh it, but it's okay with me since I only have 1 game to play. Also, there was also a distorted sound coming from the game when I had the old driver that seemed to have gone away when I installed the new one.

1. I manually disabled the Windows Auto Update. Should I reactivate now that I am done installing the drivers?

2. Should I also reactivate all the anti- viruses and defenders?

Thank you!Capture.PNG

Yes, enable everything again since you are satisfied with the driver you have installed now.

But if I were you, I would "Disable" Windows from automatically updating Drivers. Sometimes Windows updates a driver that is worse then the one you have installed. I "Disabled" through Windows 10 Pro Group Policy from Windows Update installing drivers on my computer. Windows 10 Home needs a different method of doing the same thing.

Let Windows Update install the usual Security, Recommended or Optional updates but the driver updates disable.

As for the Update Advisor, If the driver you installed was from AMD Website and not Dell's AMD Driver, you can always manually check to see if there are any new updated drivers available. The Update Advisor isn't that important, in my opinion.  I believe most games or programs will warn you if you need an updated driver for the program or game to work or through its Forums or website.

Here is a good suggestion. DON'T UPDATE A DRIVER unless it is required. Either because a program or game says you need a newer driver or because by updating it shows a fix for an issue you are having. Many times you update a driver without needing too and end up with other problems that weren't there before.

In your case, you needed to update the Intel drivers for the AMD Driver to work correctly. Plus Dell's drivers are customized to work correctly with your laptop. Many laptop manufacturers have very outdated drivers for their hardware. In that case it may be wise to update the driver to a newer driver to make it more compatible with Windows OS or hardware changes.

Good luck and enjoy your game!

I’ll keep those in mind. Thank you very much sir for all the help you’ve given me! Hoping you’re having a good day.

Make sure your anti-virus/malware is disabled during the process.

Yes, I did disable the defender and firewall. Those two are what I only have

0 Likes

Kingfish is very knowledgeable about updating AMD Drivers in laptops.

0 Likes

Hello there sir, I am now trying to update my AMD drivers as I have updated my Intel drivers, I just want to make sure if what I am doing is correct. I am only a bit confused since I have 2 guides to follow, yours and Mr. Elstaci, in the above mentioned by Mr. Elstaci, I was told to update all my intel drivers before updating the AMD ones which is the same as what is on your tutorial on his mentioned link. What I am confused about is the part when you have to uninstall the AMD software from the Program Manager. I am about to update the AMD about now. Do I still have to download the AMD Radeon M240/ R7 M445/440/265/270 driver first then uninstall, and after that download the one from the site and install or do I have to download the AMD Radeon M240/ R7 M445/440/265/270 driver first without uninstalling then the one from the site? I am sorry, I am very new to these kinds of stuff so I tend to get confused. Thank you for helping in advance.

0 Likes

Sounds like you went through a lot. Thought I would suggest a free piece of software you might like to run from tweaking_com called Windows Repair. You can run the free version of it. It does all kinds of fixes if your registry gets corrupted but you can also make periodic saves of your registry or a backup of it right before make changes. If you get corrupted you can even run in from a command prompt and restore a prior registry backup. You can't ever backup this stuff too much. Good Luck!