cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

JumBucket
Journeyman III

Do I still need to update my bios?

Hello! I just bought a Ryzen 7 5800x, and i currently have a r5 2600 installed. I knew i had to update the bios. I am currently on bios version 3802 and the cpu support page says I need 2409. When I tried to update, it says “selected file is not a proper bios”. Im guessing this update is “back tracking” i guess. I’m just a little confused. 

0 Likes
5 Replies
atrox
Adept I

If you need to update your bios to support a CPU, you can visit your specific motherboard's support site and find the latest BIOS file. Unzip it and put it on a USB drive, make sure just the BIOS file is on the USB. All motherboards have different layouts and schemes for the BIOS, so you can use online documentation or the manual to figure out where and how to flash the BIOS. Just a precaution when updating BIOS (which you may already know) is that if power cuts during a BIOS update, it is quite possible that the motherboard will be bricked and essentially dead forever, so be sure to either do this with a battery backup or if you don't have one make sure it's not raining or something that could cause an outage.

0 Likes

I know how to update my bios, when I try, it says “selected file is not a proper bios”. 

0 Likes
JumBucket
Journeyman III

Just so everyone knows, my motherboard is Asus Prime B450M-A

0 Likes
digibluez
Adept I

did you extract the downloaded zip file, went to the extracted folder and run 

BIOSRenamer.exe 

only then you can go to bios and point it to the folder the files is in

0 Likes
432hz
Adept III

You don't need to update your BIOS. Note the column title on your BIOS page: "Validated Since BIOS". This means that the respective CPU has been supported since the BIOS version listed.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 4.49.56 PM.png

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar