Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

magnifiko
Journeyman III

DirectX 8.1 support problem

Hello,

when I try to play C&C Generals Zero Hour an error occurs "DirectX error" saying I need to have DirectX 8.1 or above.  Well known error with AMD drivers. I tried everything that the internet has to offer on this and yet still it doesn't work.

So my question: Will AMD fix this with an update? or is there an alternative solution? (the last thing I want is buying an Nvidia card)

Specs:

AMD Radeon RX 580 Series
Radeon Software Verison 20.1.3
AMD FX 6300 CPU

Best regards

12 Replies

This isn't an AMD issues and Nvidia users have the same problem. It is EA who has never patched their game.

This thread has solutions that seem to work for most. I suggest you look at it. 

Solved: Direct X 8.1 error affecting Command & Conquer Generals and Command & Conquer Zero Hour. - A... 

pokester wrote:

This isn't an AMD issues and Nvidia users have the same problem. It is EA who has never patched their game.

This thread has solutions that seem to work for most. I suggest you look at it. 

Solved: Direct X 8.1 error affecting Command & Conquer Generals and Command & Conquer Zero Hour. - A... 

I have the box set in Origin and it works fine with that loader.

Do now know why EA does not clean up the games a bit for modern widescreen rigs etc.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Go to d3d8to9 GitHub page and get the d3d8.dll and paste it to game exe folder.

0 Likes

Reinstall DX9 which includes the earlier components

0 Likes
kolyan
Journeyman III

removing dbghelp.dll

(from C:\\...\Program Files(x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour)

helped and the game started.

0 Likes
emfuser
Adept I

Ok, I've been playing this game on every machine (all AMD based, BTW) since it was new. This newest machine is the only one that can't. It happened immediately after a driver update. Rolling back the driver to an earlier one brings it back to life for me. It has been long enough that I don't know what adrenaline version was the last one it worked with, but that is most assuredly the problem for me. An older version from 2019 works great. The last one that had the orange borders and sliders.

0 Likes

Also, none of the above solutions worked. Is AMD trying to phase out this title? Because really, it's not like a DX8.1 entry in their driver could really take up all that much space. Seems rather rude to phase out a product that a consumer bought. You know, one that worked just a few months ago.

0 Likes

Get into the windows control panel, select customize windows, in there install legacy components and older games will work

0 Likes
emfuser
Adept I

I've done all the things that one can google. There is some driver conflict. There is a DX8.1 driver issue. I don't know what it is, but it's the driver, for sure. Older versions of the driver work fine. I think 19.1.1 is the last version that worked. What changed? What was removed or added?

0 Likes

I reported it. Funny, I'vedone that before, but never got a response. I have received a response this time. I'll update as I learn what they diagnose it to.

Here's to hoping.

I have had very hit and miss results on hearing from them myself. It is however the only way to contact AMD.

They don't really participate in their forums. So if you want them to know it is the best way to contact them. 

0 Likes