Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

natsukireiz
Adept I

Custom Resolution and changing the Hertz

Hey Guys

So i am having trouble making a custom resolution, i have a third party branded Monitor from a company called kogan ( basically they rebrand samsung monitors ) and its 1440p 120Hz which is running but i like to create a lower hertz, around 100-90 because its a happy medium for me when gaming with my system specs

With nvidia this was extremely easy, but with AMD no matter what i try it just wont work, im on windows 11

I have tried setting the Hz generally from 120 to 90 and changing it in Windows Display settings, no luck screen just goes black to power saving mode

Tried Changing both the Hz and then changing the timing standard to DMT, GTF and CVT and none work, when changing the hertz in display settings it fails

I just dont understand all these numbers or how it works

natsukireiz_0-1686226663055.png

0 Likes
3 Replies
Flyfisherman
Challenger

Hi,

I'm using Radeon Chill which works great on my system, so that I instead can increase quality settings in the game menus and still have a cool and quiet gaming experience:
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero with 16 GB 3200 MHz Ram
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC
Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS-FI27Q 27"  2560x1440 165Hz

In the AMD Adrenalin s/w > Settings > Graphics > enable Radeon Chill > set the slider for Min and Max FPS to a desirable value. These values does not need to be the same, but for me it works better to reduce stutters.

Radeon Chill.JPG

Best regards from Sweden.

0 Likes

thanks for the advice!

It's not really about maxing out the FPS for me, i prefer to use a lower hertz so i can have V-Sync on in certain games were it feels much smoother having it on, when my FPS is lower than 100 on a 120 hertz screen it just feels choppy and icky

So with nvidia, id go make a custom resolution, select the hertz and nvidia's control panel did the rest and it always just worked without any manual input or changing numbers

with AMD theirs all these numbers and options and i have no idea what mix will actually work

0 Likes

turns out plugging in a display port cable fixed all my problems and i had a 100 Hertz option

0 Likes