Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

K3YOTO
Adept I

Crashing while pausing

Hey there people

Now I've been trying to play the Kingdom Hearts series in particular the 1.5+2.5 Remixes for the last few days but its been unplayable due a some sort of driver time out issue.
I don't get any error codes other than the report bug option prompting.
So the way the crash/ hang into crash happens is by pressing the pause button while in game to open up the menu system or by inputing normal gameplay commands.
The game then proceeds to shutdown itself but it also shuts down the AMD Adrenaline software, discord, skype and chrome the steps I've taken to narrow the fault down are:

I've tried DDU'ing my system twice
Reinstalling windows twice
Repairing and redownloading drivers
Disabling MPO( Multi-plane Overlay)
Turning off and on all the different software options inside of adrenaline 
Downgrading drivers
Limiting framerate inside the game
Different resolutions
Clean booting with no background applications

I've searched the internet for possible fixes and nothing has seemed to work and upon asking some friends who own both NVidia and AMD cards the 7000 series just can't seem to run this game properly without crashing but someone with a 4080, 3070, 5800xt and 6700xt can run and play the game perfectly fine without being able to crash. It seems so odd for a game like this to not be able to run properly on such a system without faulting and crashing to me and it is making me regret my decision of purchasing into team red fully.
 I'd much appreciate someone's input to at least confirm that this is a driver or game issue and not some sort of weird hardware fault occurring in my system.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: ASRock AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX TAICHI (Drivers current version 23.4.3)
Ram: G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB DDR5
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B650-A (Bios 1413)
PSU: Corsair RM Series RM1000e 1000W

75 Replies

Yeah Rechain has it the worst out of them all.

0 Likes
Draxirch
Miniboss

Try playing on Unlocked fps, borderless 720p with no vsync options on. I'm starting to think this issue is related to Vsync and not being able to maintain 60-120 fps.

KH1, KH2 and ReCoM need Vsync off to work.

KH1 and KH2 play best when the cutscenes are unlocked to 60 fps, so try to get that working.

KHBBS though needs it to work.

ive not crashed for a while in KH1 as im in Wonderland now with no crashes.

Recom ive gotten to floor 2 now.

KH2 i just left Twilight Town with Sora.

KHBBS im in Enchanted Dominion with Terra

Please let the AMD guys know they should be looking into why vsync crashes it.

0 Likes

What exact setting do you use for kh1 and BBS?
Ive been trying to play kh1 but the new drivers for 7xxx series have been delaying my playthrough.

0 Likes
Hmzi1122
Journeyman III

In several cutscenes, it also freezes.

In Twilight Town, merely getting on and off the train causes an accident as well.

0 Likes

Yup that ones pretty bad, it happens all the time with vsync on but vsync off an unlocked first boot it doesn't seem to crash. I'm in Beasts Castle currently, going to test the Dark Thorn crash.

Cutscene crashes can be mitigated with unlocking the cutscene fps to 60.

It may also help if you remove the Adrenaline Software too.

Update: IM PAST BEASTS CASTLE, it used to crash indefinitely here after engaging Dark Thorn these settings really work, we just need AMD to fix Refresh Rate crashes.

Use these settings, they work for me.

20240223_031907.jpg

0 Likes

I tried these setting today, (been lurking awhile) but they don't work for me I crash in the cutscene entering twilight town in ReCOM for the first time

0 Likes

Rechain of Memories is practically unplayable.

0 Likes

That's the problem, the Rog Ally CANNOT be tuned.... otherwise this would have been viable!

0 Likes

Do you have a second bios on that card? a switch ? have you tried it and then see if it can be tuned then.

0 Likes
AcesGym
Journeyman III

I disabled amd freesync and "refresh rate" setting in the settings meny after trying multiple different options I was finally able to get past sypher be hopefully that should fix it for everyone.

0 Likes
skins20
Adept I

In case anyone is interested, I have been able to play KH 1.5-2.5 Final mix on my 7800X3D integrated graphic(assigning 4gb ram in the bios) without any crashes in KH1,KH2 Y BBS. I have no idea why on the integrated it works and on my 7900 XT it crashes. I have ZERO problems with the GPU except for that game. The game crashes? play with the integrated graphics.

0 Likes
Draxirch
Miniboss

For those crashing in KINGDOM HEARTS HD1.5+2.5 ReMIX try this.

Enable AFMF in Adrenaline for all instances of KH1.5+2.5 including the separate EXEs. NOTE: AMD Fluid Motion Frames is only in 24.1.1 and 24.2.1. And also you need to turn off AMD FreeSync Refresh Rate.

Use 720p resolution in game and display

Set framerate to unlocked.

Set windowed mode but use borderless windowed gaming application.

Turn all instances of Refresh Rates off.

Here's a progress report.

KH1 - No longer crashes while pausing, Clayton defeat cutscene still has a high chance of crashing so skip it. (Unlocking Fps to 60 for cutscenes is advised but as mentioned skip the clayton defeat scene or you will likely crash.)

KHReCom - Battles are doable now without freezing. You might crash randomly still so I advise to save often and sometimes you'll crash pausing but it seems to be a rare thing for me so far.

KH2 - Trains are able to be entered without crashing out. (Make sure you unlock the FPS of cutscenes to 60, you are on your own for this as it breaks TOS.)

KHBBS - No longer crashing on tutorial, seems to get to a playable state?

Let me know if it works out for you, this might be applicable to the RX7000's but it definitely makes it work more on the Asus Rog Ally. The game seems to be in a much more playable state with these settings on.

(NOTE: You may still experience crashes, this will need to be investigated by AMD as its likely to do with Direct X 12.)

0 Likes

Save yourself the trouble and play it with the integrated graphics of your cpu, I'm playing at 4k 60ps NO CRASHES problems with the integrated graphics of the 7800 X3D. The game is going perfect. I don't understand why with the integrated (iGPU) the game does NOT crash but with my GPU (7900XT) the game constantly crashes on pause or menu.Enable them and use the hdmi output off your motherboard to plsy the game... Assign 4GB ram to the iGPU in BIOS.

0 Likes

Won't work on the Rog Ally as it already uses integrated graphics which is its AMD one.

Its definitely something to do with Direct X 12 as I tried WOW on it, similar story, driver crash and game closes.

0 Likes
Draxirch
Miniboss

Just beat the entirety of Roxas prologue without crashing.

0 Likes
RabbahHagri
Journeyman III

This is not just a game issue.  I've had it crash when no game was being played that the driver basically locks up, then resets; shutting down Discord and and rendering VoiceAttack dead requiring it to be shutdown and restarted

0 Likes

That's... interesting...

Wonder why that happens.

0 Likes
Omgnoway
Adept III

have you tried DDU then using old driver 23.11.1? fix all my problems . worth a try if you haven't done it yet.

XFX Radeon Merc 7900xtx  7800x3d 

0 Likes

Sorry, that wont work, i try it with 15 OLD driver different included this. 7900XT 7800X3D.

0 Likes
Draxirch
Miniboss

Yeah unfortunately the DDU with 23.11.1 solution does not work.

0 Likes

7900xtx and 5800x3d. same problem. i cant play more then 10 minutes without a crash. ive done everything. from changing every vsync option/every framerate option. played on 1440p and in 1080p. played with and without SAM (smart access memory) 

but when i jump over to the computer to my left, with a ryzen 2600 and 5700xt the game runs fine. 7 hours in without a single crash. 

the driver timeout i think might have to do with the GPU clock speed. on the 5700xt the game runs at 200-400 MHz. and on the 7900xtx the game will run at 200 MHz for 1 minute, then spike up to 1300 MHz and crash.

not only does it crash the game. it crashes discord,  steel serries gg and amd adrenalin. resalting in having to restart the system. 

0 Likes

I just submitted a huge bug report.

Submit bug reports to get their attention!

0 Likes

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
<title>Crashing while pausing</title>
</head>
<body>
<h2>Crashing while pausing</h2>
<p>Hey there people,</p>
<p>Now I've been trying to play the Kingdom Hearts series in particular the 1.5+2.5 Remixes for the last few days but its been unplayable due a some sort of driver time out issue. I don't get any error codes other than the report bug option prompting. So the way the crash/ hang into crash happens is by pressing the pause button while in game to open up the menu system or by inputting normal gameplay commands. The game then proceeds to shutdown itself but it also shuts down the AMD Adrenaline software, discord, skype and chrome the steps I've taken to narrow the fault down are:</p>
<ul>
<li>I've tried DDU'ing my system twice</li>
<li>Reinstalling windows twice</li>
<li>Repairing and redownloading drivers</li>
<li>Disabling MPO( Multi-plane Overlay)</li>
<li>Turning off and on all the different software options inside of adrenaline</li>
<li>Downgrading drivers</li>
<li>Limiting framerate inside the game</li>
<li>Different resolutions</li>
<li>Clean booting with no background applications</li>
</ul>
<p>I've searched the internet for possible fixes and nothing has seemed to work and upon asking some friends who own both NVidia and AMD cards the 7000 series just can't seem to run this game properly without crashing but someone with a 4080, 3070, 5800xt and 6700xt can run and play the game perfectly fine without being able to crash. It seems so odd for a game like this to not be able to run properly on such a system without faulting and crashing to me and it is making me regret my decision of purchasing into team red fully. I'd much appreciate someone's input to at least confirm that this is a driver or game issue and not some sort of weird hardware fault occurring in my system.</p>
</body>
</html>

0 Likes
DzikiZbigniew
Journeyman III

24.4.1 still not working...

0 Likes

Yeah.... im just hoping the future it will be addressed. They do KNOW about it now and they need to just deliver on it all.

0 Likes

It's 24.5.1
In notes in fixed problems:

• Intermittent application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing World of Warcraft® or World of Warcraft® Classic on RDNA™ 3 series graphics products.

A think Kingdom Hearts is fixed too?

0 Likes

Sadly this is not the case.

0 Likes

Lmao, so they fixed DX12 problem with WoW, but not with other games
Holy cow that's stupid

0 Likes

Maybe that particular fix is now in the works. 

By the way, my mail to AMD was left unanswered all this time and after every driver update KH1 still crashed. But my Zantetsuken in ReCoM got fixed. Never tested the other games in the meantime, lol.

0 Likes
rock12
Adept II

well i did the 35GB update on epic and guess what!?!?!?!! it still doesn't work! as soon as i try to pause the game it causes my computer to black screen and crash! Im actually so upset by this.

0 Likes
RickRoss
Journeyman III

It sounds frustrating! Given the extensive troubleshooting you've already done, it seems likely this issue might be related to compatibility between the game and AMD drivers. Since others with different GPUs aren't experiencing this, it could point to a specific driver or software interaction issue with your AMD Radeon RX 7900. Checking for any specific game patches or updates from AMD might help

0 Likes

Try the entire RX 7000 lineup. I've seen people with RX 7900 XTs running in the problems, people with RX 7900 XTXs, Rx 7600s and for RX 7800 XTs... well, I am that guy. And guess what, AMD doesn't do **bleep** about it. The patch that came out today and added DX11 compatibility, I really hoped it changed anything... it didn't. I am literally one step away from entering the final boss, but I want to grind everything out first - but I can't, because every pause or save attempt may be punished with a **bleep**ing crash. I didn't even attempt to fire up KH2 for old times sake, BbS literally crashed during the **bleep**ing tutorial save!

ricter
Journeyman III

The Kingdom Hearts games just released on steam, I'm going to try them out this weekend can report back here if I get any driver timeouts compared to the EGS version. I have some hope these will play nicer as I've seen some good reports from Steam Deck users that they fixed cutscene issues there, maybe they fixed other bugs on the Steam release.

0 Likes

Nevermind it seems it is still present

The devs have acknowledged the issue though

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2552430/discussions/0/6364229748851733833/

Im so happy that finally someone important somewhere is acknowledging the issue.