Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

K3YOTO
Adept I

Crashing while pausing

Hey there people

Now I've been trying to play the Kingdom Hearts series in particular the 1.5+2.5 Remixes for the last few days but its been unplayable due a some sort of driver time out issue.
I don't get any error codes other than the report bug option prompting.
So the way the crash/ hang into crash happens is by pressing the pause button while in game to open up the menu system or by inputing normal gameplay commands.
The game then proceeds to shutdown itself but it also shuts down the AMD Adrenaline software, discord, skype and chrome the steps I've taken to narrow the fault down are:

I've tried DDU'ing my system twice
Reinstalling windows twice
Repairing and redownloading drivers
Disabling MPO( Multi-plane Overlay)
Turning off and on all the different software options inside of adrenaline 
Downgrading drivers
Limiting framerate inside the game
Different resolutions
Clean booting with no background applications

I've searched the internet for possible fixes and nothing has seemed to work and upon asking some friends who own both NVidia and AMD cards the 7000 series just can't seem to run this game properly without crashing but someone with a 4080, 3070, 5800xt and 6700xt can run and play the game perfectly fine without being able to crash. It seems so odd for a game like this to not be able to run properly on such a system without faulting and crashing to me and it is making me regret my decision of purchasing into team red fully.
 I'd much appreciate someone's input to at least confirm that this is a driver or game issue and not some sort of weird hardware fault occurring in my system.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: ASRock AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX TAICHI (Drivers current version 23.4.3)
Ram: G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB DDR5
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B650-A (Bios 1413)
PSU: Corsair RM Series RM1000e 1000W

61 Replies
rock12
Adept I

Absolutely the same issue, i have recently updated to a 7800x3d and 7900xtx and now i can not play kingdom hearts. I have a fresh install of windows 11 latest chipset drivers, bios and graphics drivers but it just crashes. Now I understand not everyone has the highest high end hardware but i would of assumed that people who paid $2000AUD for a GPU would have a rock solid experience and not have to wait 3 months for a fix.

Kysko
Adept I

I can say that 2 months later this issue still persists. I have an ASROCK Phantom Gaming RX 7900 XT and when pausing in certain area's it still almost always results in a crash along with the programs you named.

0 Likes

it also freezes during certain cutscenes.

Just by entering and exiting the train in Twilight Town results in a crash too.

0 Likes
Mirk44
Adept I

I'm having the same problem, Sapphire 7900XT driver 23.7.1, however setting the resolution to 1600x900 and screen mode to fullscreen somehow fixes the problem.

0 Likes

have you had any crashes after this?

0 Likes

Yes, i still get driver timeout but they are less frequent and i can usually pause the game a bit more instead of crashing straight up every time. Wish AMD would fix the problem.

0 Likes
MrMite
Adept I

no solution 
0 Likes

same issue, asrock taichi 7900 xtx with a 5800x. stock tuning

0 Likes

if someone has a solution please give us ahah

0 Likes

I kinda found a solution that worked for me in the gaming graphics tab of amd adrenalin edition there is an advanced tab, if you enable frame rate target control and put it on 60 it severely reduces crashes it seems like.

0 Likes

does'nt work for me 

0 Likes
Visionary93
Journeyman III

Same issue here.

0 Likes
MrMite
Adept I

no update?

Nope

0 Likes
K3YOTO
Adept I

Update is I had returned the card back to store and payed for a Asus 4090 Rog Strix instead.
Which has had zero issues from the date of purchase which was a week after this post since all attempts to find any solutions from AMD just didn't happen.
Unfortunate that I was happy with the performance of the 7900XTX but its software is just so garbage that it is not worth giving it the time of day sometimes.

You should not have to adjust any or all settings to be below the actual limit of what that GPU is providing. The game is so measly in comparison to what the card can output.
Once again sorry everyone despite all attempts no solution was found by me or evidently by AMD.
I hope and pray for everyone that AMD gets their **bleep** together before Intel becomes the actual Nvidia competition because from the looks of things it seems their software side is a lot better and more stable than even AMD's

Glad you found a solution, i'm gonna just wait if it ever gets resolved by AMD. Its only on KH aswell so its very strange.

0 Likes

I'm starting to lose hope. Its been an issue for SIX months and nothing has been done to fix it.

AMD really needs to address this problem or they'll lose customers. And that's the truth.

I agree, but I think compared to other issues its still relatively small.

0 Likes
MrMite
Adept I

I asked amd and they told me to ask square enix, I asked quare and I have 0 solutions, they offer solutions that don't work and they just say "sorry".
It's horrible not to be able to play a game that I paid for

0 Likes

This id say is conclusive it won't be fixed because AMD think it's a game dev fix.

0 Likes

Not to get your hopes up or anything, but after some back and forth with both Square Enix and Epic Games I've come to the conclusion to contact AMD directly and kindly ask Square Enix to get in touch with AMD, redirecting them to this exact post so that their support may see that other AMD customers have similar issues like me. They actually said, they'll do it! It may take a while - or not help in any way - however, because Square can't really control AMD. I've also contacted AMD support myself, but I have yet to receive an answer.

In case you're wondering, I'm running on a self-built desktop with a Ryzen 5600G with disabled integrated graphics, ever since I treated myself with an RX 7800 XT, which so happens to fall into the cursed RX 7000 lineup as well. I've only played KH1 yet and I've got constant crashes with pausing or saving too, whether the respective menus are opened or closed. I did however get to the Final Rest sooner or later. I don't really feel like grinding Ultima or levels when there's the possibility that I have to do it twice. maybe I'll give Re:CoM both a first try and test run now. BbS crashed right after the tutorial save, lol. Didn't cause any crashes up until Terra's first boss though - I just haven't got around that, because I'm bad at game. So is Terra in general XD

0 Likes

Ah that's very interesting.

I can also say rechain of memories is the worst. You can't even get passed the tutorial. Try to fight the first shadow and it will crash.

I hope they do something but I've long lost hope.

0 Likes

So, I've started Re:CoM now and... nothing. I've reached Leon, no issues at all, not a single crash! Even forcing the crashes by continuosly opening and closing menus did nothing. It seems that I can actually play that one. I'll keep tabs on this one though, I'm still certain someone needs to work out the issues of all games. The game itself is just a bit weird, but at least more straightforward than Birth by Sleep.

0 Likes

It is due to "Direct X 12" I think....

People have timeouts in WOW with DX12.

But when they do it with DX11 enabled instead they can play it.

Bare in mind that KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5+2.5 "requires" DX12 and cannot be set to DX11 as it doesn't support it.

If they allowed support for DX11 all our problems would be solved I think.

Ironically the square support did suggest at some point to change the DPI, if possible. Which it isn't.

Yeah that's not possible to what I know

So, little update, the AMD guy seemed to have understood our issue and wanted to know what games exactly have issues, aside from 1.5+2.5. Also he wanted my specs. Let's just see what happens.

0 Likes

Seems to be mainly 3 games I think.

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5

World of Warcraft 

Fortnite?

Browsers apparently also cause timeouts?

0 Likes
EvilAleron
Journeyman III

I registered here just to confirm that NO FIX FOR TODAY.
Just. Wow.
Recently i upgraded my GPU from 5700 to 7700XT. On my 5700 game works great, and on 7700XT - crashes with driver timeout every 10 minutes. And look at that - that problem was back in MAY. 
Bruh, AMD. Just bruh

0 Likes
EvilAleron
Journeyman III

BUMP
Still no fix for Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5, crashes with driver timeout with 24.1.1

0 Likes
Draxirch
Challenger

One can hope with enough acknowledgement they might consider looking into the display driver timeouts especially as it plagues World of Warcraft.

Maybe in the coming months they'll fix these issues...

0 Likes
Draxirch
Challenger

Is there any new developments on this at all?

0 Likes

Haven't heard from AMD yet. Did discover that ReCoM does have slight problems on my system though. I can't consistently tab out and using Zantetsuken kills my game, lol.

0 Likes

Better than mine lol, I crash if I ever battle a heartless making it impossible.

0 Likes

New preview driver dropped. 24.2.1.

I'll do as much testing as I can to see if anything has really changed at all.

It looks like nothing has changed.

The wait continues I suppose?

Maybe they haven't figured out why it times the driver out yet.

0 Likes

Anything new on this at all? I keep trying to get the issue known but it always falls on deaf ears, the preview drivers for Feb 2024 do not resolve this sadly, and my fix below is not foolproof as I get different crashes in the games.

Rechain of Memories crashes randomly with going into battles.

Kh1, deep Jungle is riddled with display time out crashes. Playing on 1080p will crash before destiny Islands.

Kh2 merely entering a train causes the game to crash. Without unlocking the cutscene fps to 60 you WILL crash on a cutscene with Kairi and Selphie.

Birth by sleep is unstable without refresh rate on.

0 Likes
KHFANATIC
Journeyman III

Registered just to post in this thread.

I recently purchased a ROG Ally Xtreeme just to play KH on the go.

And the KH1.5 + 2.5 Remix collection is basically unplayable on any settings -  I have spent many hours trying them all. There is however a solution. Google: "Kingdom hearts ReFined" and follow the instructions on how to install it (For KH1 it is as simple as replacing the exe file that launches the game) using this modded version of the game fixes all of the crash problems and even fixes the issue with being unable to soft reset without crashing. I played through the entirety of KH1 with this version after suffering through well over 200 crashes and getting to lvl 50 in the vanilla unmodded version.  I simply enabled cheats and got to the same level I was and the same world I was at and then turned off the cheats and played through the rest of the game as normal, I completed the journal for a 100% save file.

While ReFined may fix KH1 and KH2 it does not fix the other games however which is why I am here. I wanted to play the KH games in order so next I tried to boot up Chain of Memories and was faced with the exact same crashes that I was having in KH1 except it is much worse. While in KH1 the crashes are constant they did not in fact make the game "unplayable" it was no doubt frustrating but it was still possible to beat the game as far as I know (I got all the way to Peter Pan in KH1 before I learned about ReFined in a reddit thread) but Chain of Memories is completely unplayable, it is not possible under any settings (again I spent several hours trying every possible combination) to get past the tutorial battle, as soon as you walk into the heartless to start your first "battle" it crashes without fail.

This issue needs to be resolved.

0 Likes

Yeah Rechain has it the worst out of them all.

0 Likes
Draxirch
Challenger

Try playing on Unlocked fps, borderless 720p with no vsync options on. I'm starting to think this issue is related to Vsync and not being able to maintain 60-120 fps.

KH1, KH2 and ReCoM need Vsync off to work.

KH1 and KH2 play best when the cutscenes are unlocked to 60 fps, so try to get that working.

KHBBS though needs it to work.

ive not crashed for a while in KH1 as im in Wonderland now with no crashes.

Recom ive gotten to floor 2 now.

KH2 i just left Twilight Town with Sora.

KHBBS im in Enchanted Dominion with Terra

Please let the AMD guys know they should be looking into why vsync crashes it.

0 Likes