cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ventzaq
Adept III

CPU upgrade and GPU drivers

I have upgraded my CPU from 3600 to 5800x3d. Do I need to reinstall the GPU drivers?

Also any thoughts what best drivers are for VR now ( I am back to driver only install and 7900xtx ) on 23.12.1! 

kevin

0 Likes
6 Replies

No because your new 5800X3D doesn't have IGPU on it. It is a regular AMD processor. So it doesn't need any drivers.

But you should do a CLEAR CMOS to reset BIOS back to its default settings before installing the new processor.

Also make sure you have the correct BIOS version installed on your motherboard that will recognize and boot up with your new processor installed. Wrong BIOS version that doesn't support your new processor will prevent your PC from booting up.

Also you will need to check to see if your current RAM you have installed will be compatible with the new processor. Otherwise you may need to purchase new RAM.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

Update BIOS to latest version for your motherboard IF you haven't already

Make sure you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com website

When I swap CPU's .. I'll go into Device Manager and under View select Show Hidden Devices

Then I'll remove/uninstall all the old entries of my previous processor just for good measure .. I don't know that that is actually needed, but it's something I do and have never run into any issues after a CPU swap so I keep doing it as a "just in case" thing

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
Tschida2
Journeyman III

Thaks for helping.

0 Likes
ventzaq
Adept III

Thanks for comments. All running now. 

0 Likes
ventzaq
Adept III

From a little experimentation for me best drivers vary according to use

23.10.2 best for Skyrim vr

23.12.1 best for DCS

0 Likes
ventzaq
Adept III

To clarify, 23.12.1 seems to have introduced what I can only describe as ‘image jumping’ when I turn my head left to right. Doesn’t seem to show any excessive frame time when it happens . Doesn’t happen in earlier drivers since the  vr issues were “”fixed””. Wonder if this affects other older vr title ? Think Skyrim vr is dx11 ? Hp reverb g2. Problem also appears in 24.1.1 driver. I am on driver only installs. Would really like an optimize for vr button in the adrenaline gui

0 Likes