Drivers & Software

Veridium
Journeyman III

Computer black screens when installing graphics driver

CPU: 5800X

GPU: ASUS TUF RX6800XT

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F gaming with latest bios

PSU: EVGA 850 GQ

I initially had the miss matched GPU driver error this morning. I DDU 'ed the drivers and disabled windows from automatically installing drivers. Everything was fine until I went to reinstall the drivers. During the install, the display black screened and never came back. I still can hear the programs in the background and the computer is still doing stuff. I restart the computer and the bios splash page pops up but as soon as it tries to load windows it black screens again. I start it in safe mode and I get display. I roll back the drivers to the windows generic one and it works. But for whatever reason when I try to use an AMD driver it just black screens.

Stuff I tried- 

Older drivers

DDU when cleaning up and reinstalling drivers

Made sure Windows 10 wasn't trying to inject its own driver by shutting off auto updates

Reinstalling windows

Uninstalling and reinstalling GPU

Everything was running fine yesterday and this hits me out of nowhere, I'd appreciate some other suggestions with troubleshooting.

4 Replies
W4rSkuLL
Adept I

I think Window 10 broke the driver. I have black screen on my Agon main screen now. If it wasnt for my hdmi tv  I would be in big trouble. I was talking on the phone and then went to turn on the monitor. And it was black. Ive tried to reinstall drivers and put monitors on different display ports but nothing happens. My secondary monitor also broke it has now a 640x 480 picture. It has had this before but the latest driver fixed it. But now my main monitor is completly black. I am seriously at this point considering going back to Nvidia. Because this is irritating to say it least.

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Ran into a similar issue with my RX 6900 XT after a couple of updates. Though I did not experience the low res mode.

Hard booting my PC after allowing it to fully restart for some reason that I don't know always cleared the error that caused this issue. Also try a CMOS clear as this can resolve most PC issues. Good luck and I hope your PC purrs like a mint condition muscle car. 

0 Likes
grover059
Journeyman III

Hello, try to install some other drivers, if it will be the same, it is best to reinstall windows and it should work, I uninstalled the old drivers and it works very well now

0 Likes
Slate2
Journeyman III

Did you try ddu in safe mode? I had a few problems with my 6700xt after coming from a 1080 but ddu in safe mode fixed it for me.