cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

stacy19001
Adept I

Command-Line Install Radeon Driver Silently without Radeon Settings App

I'm looking for a way to silently install the Radeon GPU driver (no user-interaction), but also not install the Radeon Settings app for the HP EliteBook 745 G5 and Lenovo ThinkPad A485. We don't want our users messing with that app. It's mostly harmless, but one less thing to install if possible. We just want the driver installed.

I know you can extract the driver files from the Softpaq.exe or LEnovo EXE with 7-ZIP and you will have the standard Radeon setup.exe. You can run setup.exe -install and this performs a silent install. But, it installs the Radeon settings app as well. We don't want the app installed, just the driver.

AMD's GPU install PDF lists the different options for command-line installation, but not a command-line switch for omitting the Radeon Settings app during installation. Intel does have a command-line switch to not install their settings app.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Custom install option not available?

Choose which drivers you want from AMD...run the program, but stop when it comes to "Install".

You can install the drivers only from Device Manager using 'have disk' ...navigate to C:/AMD  where you have the folder for the graphics driver you just ran.

You do realize I hope, that your customers will not have access to any switchable graphics?

0 Likes

Thank you for the response.

I have a similar file structure with the setup.exe after extracting the HP Softpaq and Lenovo driver pack. I want to add this to a MECM task sequence. The task already runs correctly (setup.exe -install), but it installs the Radeon Setting app. I need a command-line switch to install the updated driver only without Radeon Settings app.

I am aware of how to manually install the driver with "Browse my Computer for Drivers" under Device Manager. That's not what I need, but thank you for the option.

I am aware that our users will not have access to anything in the Setting app. They absolutely do not need it. Windows display settings are fine for standard O365 apps. We just need to install the updated GPU driver through an automated process (MECM task sequence with command-line switch to not install the Settings app).

Thank you for your time. I will look elsewhere to see if this command-line switch is available.

0 Likes

Trying to find a way to install Device Drivers via Command Prompt and found there is this Command to do that. It is called  PnPUtil and is included in all Windows versions from Vista to Windows 10.

This is Microsoft explanation of that Command: PnPUtil - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs 

You can use this to install/Delete drivers to Windows Store or in Windows alone. 

Ran it through the new Powershell v7 and it had a huge menu on all the types of ways to install or delete drivers from Windows 10: PnPUtil Command Syntax - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs 

You can run PnPUtil /? and see if there is a switch to just install the driver without any other software.

Note: You didn't indicate in your original post that you used this specific command to install AMD driver which why I mentioned it.

If you were already aware of this Command then just ignore my post

Thank you very much for the info on PnPUtil. I've heard if it, but never actually used it. I'll see if this will install the driver only without the Settings app.

Thanks.