Drivers & Software

ids
Adept I

Cloning on displays with different refresh rates

Setup:

Display 1: AOC monitor (Freesync capable), 240Hz, connected via DP
Display 2: Samsung TV 60Hz, connected via HDMI
GPU: 6900XT
OS: Windows 10&11 (swapped over to W11 after the incident, same problem)

all drivers up to date

Issue:

Exact same setup was running for 2-3 years, but after fiddling around in the settings (which I of course reverted) it doesn't anymore.

On the desktop everything works fine, Display1 runs smoothly @240Hz while the TV runs @60Hz. Problem only occurs in games. Display 1 drops down to 60Hz which causes an unsmooth gaming experience and tearing from time to time. Was never an issue before.

My personal assumption:

Checked the AMD display settings. Display 1 has 1920x1080 with a !dynamic! refresh rate range from 40 to 240 Hz while the TV has only 1920x1080 at 60 Hz. So I assume the GPU caps display 1 to 60 Hz so both run at the same resolution and refresh rate.  Custom resolution should not be possible because it says display cloning is not possible anymore after.

So my question is if anyone may have a similar setup and could fetch me his settings. So far I have searched the internet for hours but couldn't find anyone with the same issue (at least not with an AMD card). 

Appreciate any kind of help
11 Replies
victormarcel09
Journeyman III

Ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date and properly configured. sometimes , driver updates or changes in driver settings can affect monitor refresh rates.

0 Likes

Thank you for your answer but all drivers, even BIOS etc. are up to date. (I clean installed W11 after the problem occurred and updated all drivers in the process). It also worked on the current driver before.

0 Likes
ids
Adept I

[SOLVED]

There seems to be an issue with Windows 11 driver 23.7.1.

I used the AMD Cleanup Utility and clean installed the previous driver (23.5.2). Everything works perfect here. Guess I haven't played any games since the last update and therefore didn't notice. You can find previous driver versions by visiting the AMD Drivers and Support page, choose your product and clicking the little "previous drivers" link at the bottom. Updating to 23.7.1 brings back the issue so I am gonna stall the updates for a while. Maybe something AMD should look into?

0 Likes

Have the exact same issue, does this mean I have to use the old drivers until I change my video card? It certainly wasn't fixed with the september drivers.

0 Likes

I mean, I wouldn't label driver 23.5.2 as "old" since it's from January 2023.

Just stick with it for a while, the issue will get resolved eventually.  

If you want to speed things up, you can also write a ticket, explain to them the situation and link to this post. Maybe if enough people report the issue, they will take a look at it. I will try to update my driver every 2-3 months and see if it works, if I come across a working new driver I will post it here for everyone to know.

Have you had the chance to try 23.9.3?

0 Likes

I just tried 23.11.1 but having the same issues. Now it starts getting annoying since I am missing out on features.

0 Likes
Dr_YankeeDoodle
Journeyman III

I've switched to an Nvidia GPU . I just don't have the patience or the time, and games keep coming out where older drivers don't perform as well.

0 Likes

Does it work correctly on an Nvidia GPU?

0 Likes

Yes it does.  The display that I'm cloning is at 360hz. 

0 Likes
mrcrabs2206
Journeyman III

This Problem needs more Attention. It is really bad to be stuck on an "old" Driver. (23.4.3)

0 Likes