cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

TedN91740
Journeyman III

Choppy or Buffered Sound I can't fix.

Hi. I have had a problem with the sound on my Windows 10, Version 21H2, Build 19044.2846 desktop pc since last October of 2022. Let me get the specs out of the way.

The original build was in 2016. All original parts. No replacements

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Professional Gaming i7.  New in 2016. 1st OS 10 installed in 2016. OS reloaded 3 or 4 times. Last reload on June 30, 2022.

Processor: Intel Core i7-6850K. 6 cores

Corsair 1200-Watt Premium Power Supply

Memory: 32 GB of DDR4 Ram. 4 - 8 GB RAM Sticks

C:// drive is a Samsung SSD 960 PRO 512GB                          Used Space = 118 GB / Free Space 358 GB

Video Card: Radeon RX-480

AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-23.4.3-MinimalSetup-230427_web

Stereo sound through a Samsung TV’s stereo speakers.

I don’t remember the date. Last Fall I was doing “Maintenance” on my PC. I went to the AMD/Radeon control panel and placed my mouse arrow over the “Check for Updates” button” and an information balloon / bubble appeared over the mouse arrow.

It was a message from AMD/Radeon. It said that Microsoft had downloaded the wrong software in the last update and the video software was wrong. (I’m paraphrasing) The bubble also had a URL that I spent over 30 minutes trying to write it down before just doing a screen shot.

The URL was an AMD/Radeon website. It advised that I should reload my GPU software.

The video and the sound were working great since my PC expert reloaded my OS on June 30, 2022. Now a few months later I get this warning from AMD/Radeon to reinstall the gpu software.

So, I thought to myself that I should use your Uninstalled tool to uninstall everything and start over with a clean slate.

So, I ran the uninstaller and messed up my sound. The sound is choppy. It goes off and on. I press the space bar to get the sound to work again. Sometime just for a second and sometimes for 10 minutes. I also press the left and right arrow keys to move the video.

When my PC expert reloaded my OS in June of last year, I created a folder on C:/ drive and labeled it “X_all drivers used to reload OS”. So, I reloaded the AMD Sound, video, and game controller's drivers and then the Radeon Display adapter driver. But, right away, the sound was choppy. My PC expert moved to Nevada, so I don’t have him to help me.

I mostly have trouble with YouTube. Some YouTube channels work great and some channels I give up on. Car crash videos have the least problems. Talking heads channels break up the most. It is like the sound component of the signal is buffering.

I tried out an Amazon Prime Time video that was broken up into episodes. I started from episode 5 and went to episode 8 which was the end. No problems. Smooth sound. Great video.

I found a “How To” video on a website and played the video. Perfect sound and video. I don’t know if the YouTube channels I view are somehow different from the channels I don’t have trouble with. Like they use different signal types so that the videos have different file extension types because you don’t see the file extension types.

I even have choppy sound on dictionary.com by Farlex. You press the speaker icon and there is no telling what you will hear. Mostly bits and pieces unless you persevere.

These “tests” were run in the last few days.

I just did a “Speed Test” with Ookla. 233.68Mbps down. 23.55Mbps Up. Cable TV has no sound or video issues. The only thing wrong with the TV is the price of the service.

I sure would appreciate some help.

TedN91740

1 Reply
Dragokar
Miniboss

Hello there, that's a nice opening posting.

I would suggest reloading and reinstall all your system drivers from the list below. However, I would uninstall your GPU driver in safe mode with DDU before doing this. I do link it right here: DDU

1. intel chipset driver from ASRock here
  2. AMD Radeon driver from here (full version)
  3. LAN driver from ASRock here
  4. Wi-Fi, if needed, from ASRock here
  5. any leftover drivers linked here

Please download BEFORE you install and make sure not to be connected to the net during the installation process. There are more updated drivers for LAN and Wi-Fi, but let's start there.

0 Likes