cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

fatum
Adept I

Chipset driver can't be installed - Microsoft VBScript error. Maybe related to the latest windows 10 udpate

I have an issue installing the latest AMD chipset driver from this link:

Download Not Complete | AMD 

AMD Chipset Drivers
Revision Number
File Size
50.8 MB
Release Date
7/31/2019
The error is:

Product: AMD_Chipset_Drivers -- Error 1720.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action GetDeviceId script error -2

Event viewer shows me this:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">11720</EventID>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-08-17T09:51:27.152180000Z" />
  <EventRecordID>2666</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>DESKTOP-MH8AP8K</Computer>
  <Security UserID="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>Product: AMD_Chipset_Drivers -- Error 1720.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action GetDeviceId script error -2146828283, Ошибка выполнения Microsoft VBScript: Недопустимый вызов или аргумент процедуры Line 17, Column 2,</Data>
  <Data>(NULL)</Data>
  <Data>(NULL)</Data>
  <Data>(NULL)</Data>
  <Data>(NULL)</Data>
  <Data>(NULL)</Data>
  <Data />
  <Binary>7B46353339443541342D363737432D344146322D413836332D4642373143464434394344377D</Binary>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Part of the message is in Russian and it says something about Microsoft VBScript execution error: illegal call or procedure argument in Line 17 Column 2

My operation system is Windows 10 Pro with all the latest updates installed. All other software install without any issues which makes me think that the problem is in your installation package.

It seems this may have something to do with it:

Visual Basic issues in Windows August 2019 Updates - gHacks Tech News 

After installing this update, applications that were made using Visual Basic 6 (VB6), macros using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and scripts or apps using Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) may stop responding and you may receive an "invalid procedure call error."

It seems MS will fix this issue in one of their updates:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4512508/windows-10-update-kb4512508 

fter installing this update, applications that were made using Visual Basic 6 (VB6), macros using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and scripts or apps using Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) may stop responding and you may receive an "invalid procedure call error."

Microsoft is working on a resolution and estimates a solution will be available in late August. This optional update will be available on the following release channels:
  • Microsoft Update Catalog.
  • Windows Update.
  • Microsoft Update.
  • Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

As with any optional update, you will need to Check for updates to receive the update once it is released.

Note Windows Update for Business customers should apply the update using the Microsoft Update Catalog or Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

Take a note that:

Microsoft revealed plans last month to disable VBScript by default on machines running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 or 2012 R2. The company disabled VBScript on machines running Windows 10 a month early already.

Microsoft has not revealed additional information about the issue; it is likely that it is related to the announced disabling of VBScript on all versions of Windows.

Please, fix your installers.

0 Likes
16 Replies
fatum
Adept I

I tried to delete update kb4512508 , but it didn't help - still get the same error.

Now I think that these are unrelated things - if it were caused by windows update then most probably VBScript wouldn't run at all. But instead it complained about invalid arguments in the script.

AMD, check your installation packages!

0 Likes

Make a USB stick with Windows setup on it then run it and so an inplace upgrade so that your system corruption is corrected

this can save programs and person files

0 Likes
fatum
Adept I

Perfect AMD support...

0 Likes

I would report the issue to Microsoft Support,

then make sure you let AMD know: Support Ticket Process | AMD 

fatum
Adept I

Ahahaha. This is what I got when tried to submit a ticket:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->  <configuration>     <system.web>         <customErrors mode="Off"/>     </system.web> </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->  <configuration>     <system.web>         <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>     </system.web> </configuration>

AMD is such AMD... It seems it was my first and last AMD processor. No matter what they make next I will get back to intel.

0 Likes
fatum
Adept I

I've created a ticket. Lets see how useful will be their response.

0 Likes

If they don't respond file another ticket. Unfortunately it is the only avenue they give you to talk to actual AMD support. These forums are just user to user.

0 Likes
fatum
Adept I

So far AMD support has been useless - they proposed me to uninstall GPU driver with DDU...

Will wait for windows update at the end of the month. Hope it will fix VBScript error.

DDU has shown its value many times for me

How uninstalling nvidia GPU driver can help with installation of AMD chipset driver? I don't see any connection between these things.

0 Likes

The MSI live update on my rig finds drivers for the machine fine, the video card I deal with it manually

0 Likes

fatum wrote:

How uninstalling nvidia GPU driver can help with installation of AMD chipset driver? I don't see any connection between these things.

chipset issues are rare

0 Likes
fatum
Adept I

So, I've just installed  update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4512941/windows-10-update-kb4512941  which fixes VB script error, but driver installation still fails. All other installers work fine for me. And this is another reminder that I should have stayed with intel processor as I've been doing for the latest 15 years....

0 Likes

AMD article on possible causes,

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
fatum
Adept I

AMD gave up helping me to install the latest chipset driver and instead gave me a link to Ryzen Master download, which, obviously, is not what I needed.

I can't even remember when was the last time I couldn't install driver to my hardware...

MSI live update seems to be above others in some ways, it found chipset drives, even a driver for my Intel 9260 was found. So that tool has some ability to get the drivers installed.

Other vendors like Lenovo are fairly good too. 

Reason I am aware is that I often wipe the book disk and start clean when problems become insurmountable.

0 Likes