Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bigbird5788
Newcomer

Cannot install AMD Radeon software or drivers

Hello, 

~A week ago I noticed a game refusing to work(always crashing on startup). Recommendation from the Dev was to make sure GPU drivers were fully updated. I noticed that Radeon software had an update, but I would click install and nothing would happen. Restarted the PC a few times, same symptom. I read that an uninstall/reinstall of the software/drivers may resolve the issue on the support forums. I did so using Windows Uninstall/removal tools followed by the AMD cleanup utility. Now with all software and drivers removed from my system, no matter what I have tried, I always get the same result. When the install is initializing and checking my system for compatibility, the installer vanishes. Task manager indicates that nothing from AMD/Radeon is running on my system.

Here is all that I have done so far. Followed the instructions from AMD with "Install AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition", "Uninstall AMD Software", & "AMD Cleanup Utility". I have tried AMD Cleanup Utility, DDU, (Both in Safemode), making sure that internet is disconnected, Fully updated BIOS, Up to date Chipset drivers(these work without issue), AMD Auto-detect Driver/download/install, Manually navigating to the GPU driver, Deleting files in the %temp% folder, scouring these forums and forums from other sites, trying the drivers offered by the GPU manufacturer and the MOBO manufacturer, making sure that windows is not updating drivers, all display drivers are removed with the exception of the generic display adapter, making sure that Windows 11 is current with all updates. 

After all of these attempts, probably ~25-30, I cannot even get an install error. It always results in the installer verifying compatibility and supposedly crashing. 

I finally decided to allow windows to see if it could find a driver in windows update - worked without issue. v31.0.12027.9001 

None of this makes any sense to me. I don't know how to get Radeon software back or how to get on the latest drivers. 

System Specs

Win 11 Pro 64bit

MOBO - EVGA X570 FTW WIFI - BIOS v1.09

GPU - PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Ultimate

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

RAM - 64GB 

0 Likes
7 Replies
Nobbi
Adept I

Do not use 24.6.1 or 24.7.1.

Only 24.5.1 is the last stable version for everyone who works absolutely fine.

0 Likes
bigbird5788
Newcomer

Thanks for the recommendation. I just tried 24.5.1 and it also does not work. I have the same symptoms. 

0 Likes
bigbird5788
Newcomer

These are the versions that worked for me in the past (when I built the system) that also do not work.

0 Likes

Have you run SFC & DISM commands to check and repair OS?

Are any security or av settings blocking install.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Great recommendations. I just ran SFC & DISM and it found/corrected issues, but I still cannot install and have the same symptoms. I also disabled bitdefender (no change), Uninstalled bitdefender (no change), disabled Windows Defender (no change).

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

Do you have the latest AM4 drivers installed from AMD.com?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Yes, I installed v6.07.22.037 without any issues.

0 Likes