cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Can updating drivers/software cause issues?

Hey!
Right now, I am using very old drivers ( 17.7.2 ) and sometimes I get a popup saying that there's a higher recommended version. Now, I don't have any issues with this old one however can updating the drivers cause any issues? (Like not being compatible, or cause lags etc.)

I don't really know the specs and details about my computer, it isn't new neither, so could updating cause any issues? Is it worth it?

+ I want to ask, would updating the drivers increase my refresh rate? I have a monitor that should be capable of 144 refresh rate however in settings the max. I can set it to is 60.

Thanks for further replies, if you need to ask any more questions I will try to answer if I can!

9 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

17.x are older Catalyst series drivers. Depending on what hardware you have it may or may not support a newer version.

If you're running Windows, right-click the Windows logo, select Device Manager, and open Display adapters, Monitors and Processors. Post the details or screenshot here.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

oKnockbackStick_0-1716816304918.png

These are the processors, let me know if you need anything more and I will try to reply as soon as I can, and thank you for helping so far!

0 Likes

Here is the download page for your A8-7650K with Radeon R7 Graphics.

The most recent driver version available is 22.6.1 which is much newer than the 17.7.2 version you have now. There are likely performance improvements for games that released during that 5 year span, however if you haven't noticed any issues there's not much reason to update, unless you'd like to take advantage of some of the new features that Adrenalin offers.

You didn't post a snippet of your Monitor section of Device Manager, whether it is using the correct driver for your monitor or something like Generic PnP Monitor. Windows should auto-detect what resolutions your monitor supports but it is possible it is stuck on 60Hz if using the default driver.

0 Likes

Hey! Sorry I forgot about the monitor part, it says Generic PnP Monitor, does that mean I have to change something, right? If I'm correct, I'd like to know how. Again, thank you so so much for the help so far!

oKnockbackStick_0-1716834534978.png

(Edit: so.. would my device be compatible with the AMD version 22.6.1?)

0 Likes

The link posted above is for your A8-7650K driver.

Generic PnP Monitor is the default Microsoft Windows driver. You will need to search for your manufacturer and model monitor to get the appropriate driver for that.

0 Likes

So if I understand correctly, there is a difference between the processors driver and monitor driver, the link you gave me is for the drivers for the processor. If I get those precessor drivers everything would still work fine right? And for the monitor drivers, do I need to get that separately outside of AMD if Im not wrong?

0 Likes

Yes, separate drivers for the processor and monitor, which you'll need to download from the monitor manufacturer's site.

0 Likes

Okay… Thank you very much!

0 Likes
JustinBryant
Journeyman III

I was facing the same issue, but now everything is good.

0 Likes