cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nate8282
Journeyman III

Can't install Ryzen Master. A newer version of this application is already installed...

I can't install Ryzen Master, when I do so i get the error, "A newer version of this application is already installed..." . I'm not sure what the app uses to verify that another version is installed, does anyone know if that is something in registry or a specific file so I can remove it? The version I installed was 2.10.3.2419

I've never actually used the software before so I'm assuming there was an issue installing the software the first time that caused this. The first time I installed it it just said the installation failed with no error codes. I've manually looked through the uninstall section of the registry and didn't see anything for Ryzen Master nor do I see it in conytol panel. Just other AMD products such as chipset drivers.

nate8282_0-1682451627537.png

0 Likes
9 Replies
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

It looks like the default path the program installs to is C:\Program Files\AMD\RyzenMaster (at least on my Windows 10 system).  You could see if that exists.  Assuming you're on Windows 10/11, does anything like AMD Ryzen Master show up under Settings > Apps > Apps & Features.  If it does exist, if you click on it, it should tell you the version.  And the last wild guess I can come up with is simply typing Ryzen Master at the Start Menu and see if it shows up there.

EDIT:  You can also try Microsoft's Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter (I have no experience with it):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-r... 

What are your system specs?

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

Nothing in C:\Program Files\AMD\RyzenMaster.
Nothing in Apps & Features.
I've tried the Microsoft program, it didn't show anything in the list related to master and when I selected 'not listed' it didn't find any issues to fix.

Specs:
Windows 11 Pro
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
ASUS Prime X670-P Wifi (Motherboard)
32GB RAM

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

I know people here have reported problems installing Ryzen Master on Windows 11.  But, I just installed that same version from near the bottom of this page:

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master 

and looking at the Help document it comes with, I see:

"Supported Platforms
AMD product overclocking support provided by AMD OverDrive™ and the AMD Ryzen Master Application are mutually exclusive. The AMD OverDrive™ application remains the sole AMD-provided overclocking tool for the following AMD products:

Products in the AM4 and AM5 socket infrastructure

Products in the AM3 and AM3+ socket infrastructure

Products in the FM2 and FM2+ socket infrastructure

Supported Operating Systems
Windows 10 (64-bit) and Windows 11 (64-bit)

Supported Chipset Models
B350, B450, B550A, TRX40, X300, X370, X399, X470, X570, WRX80 + X300, X670E, X670, B650E, B650, A620

Supported AMD processors
AMD Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper Processors"

So, it looks like it's supposed to be supported on Windows 11.  The only thing that might be iffy is your X670-P.  I see specific references to X670 and X670E, but not X670P.

I assume you have AMD's Adrenalin software installed for you graphics card.  I guess I'd recommend opening that and running their Bug Report Tool at the upper-right corner and officially report the problem.  You should probably also try getting official help at:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

I think you made an error copying the 'Supported Platforms' info.

AMD Overdrive is not for use on AM4/5 or Ryzen processors.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

That's a direct copy and paste from Ryzen Master's Help document:  Start menu > AMD Ryzen Master folder > Ryzen Master Help Guide.  That points option points to:

"file:///C:/Program%20Files/AMD/RyzenMaster/Documentation/Userguide.html"

The bit I copied is the very first thing in the document.

Of course, even more fun is the fact that the document is installed as part of the installation routine.  So, if that fails, I assume the document doesn't get copied over.  And, I've been unable to find any online copy of it (or, really, any online help document for Ryzen Master at all). So, people needing help with the installation can't get any help.

0 Likes

I see, i was looking at the old user guide found on processors download page.

2018 RM guide.png

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Just saw this here:

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/i-can-t-install-ryzen-master-it-fails/m-p/519665#M46352 

" Check if you have a folder "C:/AMD/RyzenMasterExtract", if so, rename it to something else and restart the installer."

The problem looks a bit different from yours, but it's worth checking.

0 Likes

I did notice the extration folder when I was playing with the installation. I have deleted it before and it didn't make a difference. I also noticed that some people suggest running the file "C:\AMD\RyzenMasterExtract\MSIFiles\Packages\AMD Ryzen Master UI.exe" in the extract folder and found it interesting that my extract folder does not contain that exe at all.

I have submitted a ticket, hopefully AMD will help.

0 Likes
nate8282
Journeyman III

I finally found a partial solution. I found another message board that mentioned changing all DisplayVersion properties for each string with the uninstall registry path to a low value such as 1.0. As a test I wrote a PowerShell script to do this for me. After doing that I could install master properly. I however am not willing to wrongly change program versions in registry so what I did was change line 2 of my script to only select the first 25 registry items and kept changing the value to 26, then 27 and so forth until I found the registry item that was conflicting by retrying the installation and it turned out to be an old version of Microsoft Office 14 with a DisplayVersion of 14.0.7015.1000. After deleting that one registry item the installing UI now shows, it still fails, but atleat I found part of the solution so far.

$RegPath = "Registry::HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"
$RegKeys = Get-ChildItem -Path $RegPath -Recurse | Select -First 25
$Desktoppath = [Environment]::GetFolderPath("Desktop")

# Backup Registry
reg export HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "$Desktoppath\Backup.reg"

# If Registry correctly backed up then replace all DisplayVersions with "1.0"
If (Test-Path "$Desktoppath\Backup.reg") {

foreach ($Key in $RegKeys) {
        Set-ItemProperty -Path $Key.PSPath -Name DisplayVersion -Value "1.0"
    }

}

0 Likes