cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bernecky
Journeyman III

Re: Can't install amdgpu drivers on Ubuntu 20.04.1 (5.4.0-56-generic)

Jump to solution

I am now several days into trying to undo the kernel problems caused by attempting to install OPEN_CL on

an Ubuntu 20.10 system.  amdgpu-uninstall is inadequate. I keep running into this sort of thing:

Building initial module for 5.8.0-31-generic
ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-5.8.0-31-generic is not supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.8.0-31-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.6.20.906300-1164792/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package amdgpu-dkms (--configure):
 installed amdgpu-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of amdgpu:
 amdgpu depends on amdgpu-dkms (= 1:5.6.20.906300-1164792); however:
  Package amdgpu-dkms is not configured yet.

I have to boot an earlier recovery kernel, then "resume boot" from there. A normal boot does not manage to boot X.

Audio is dead; the system settings audio does not see the DisplayPort. Video through a DisplayPort link does work, though.
I do not know what kernel images or headers I can safely remove with apt. Suggestions welcome. It would be very nice to have a working system again...

Robert

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

This probably needs a different thread since you are trying to install on 20.10, which is not supported by the packaged drivers.

Best bet would probably be:

- uninstall what you can

- check for an amdgpu blacklist in /etc/blacklist and remove if found

- use distro package manager to refresh the stock kernel and Mesa

- make sure video & audio are working at this point

- open up the 20.45 archive and install only the OpenCL packages

Were you trying to install the -pro or all-open version of the packaged drivers ? If you were trying to install the -pro version then you can skip the last step and just do a -pro install with the --no-dkms option.

0 Likes
bernecky
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

To confirm, this is Ubuntu 20.10, and I am running Plasma on it.

Thanks. So far, I did:

- amdgpu-uninstall

- Commented out /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-amdgpu.conf

(NB. different folder than /etc/blacklist)

At that point, I was able to run "sudo apt autoremove" without it crashing

on amdgpu and dkms.  This did not change anything in /boot, and a reboot at that point showed

same faults (no audio, can't boot except from recovery kernel).  I am now going to try

to do this kernel refresh thing.

0 Likes
bernecky
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Bingo! I reran "sudo update-grub", and then rebooted, at which point the system booted normally, with

audio working again.

I think I now have a working system that does NOT support open-cl, so am roughly back at square 0.

In summary, I think what caused the problem was the presence of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-amdgpu.conf.

Corrective measures:

- Comment out or delete /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-amdgpu.conf

- sudo apt autoremove

(That may take a while.)

- sudo update-grub

-  Reboot.

Tomorrow, I am going take another crack at installing open-cl. I will try the PRO version first

(I have a 5700 XT) and if that works with amdgpu-pro-install --no-dkms

I am, at least, back on the air now. Thanks!

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Good to hear. Sorry about the /etc/blacklist typo, I was going from memory which is never a good idea these days :)

The blacklist file is the result of a failed dkms kernel driver build. The installer blacklists the default driver then builds the new dkms kernel driver with a different name IIRC - and the blacklist makes sure that the new driver is used.

If the dkms build fails then you don't have a new driver, which causes problems.

Note that with starting with the 20.45 release the backend options for OpenCL have changed, so you'll need to use something like --opencl=rocr rather than --opencl=pal. Details are in the installation instructions.

Good luck with the rest of the install.

0 Likes
ableeker
Adept II

Jump to solution

I've had issues with installing amdgpu 20.45 on Ubuntu 20.45, caused by what looks like a bug in the installation program.

I have a Vega 64, and I only need OpenCL, so I can install 20.40 on Ubuntu 20.10 like so:

amdgpu-install --no-dkms --headless --opencl=pal

According to the instruction I should be able to install 20.45 like so:

amdgpu-install --no-dkms --headless --openl=rocr

I need to use this command, because Ubuntu 20.10 comes with kernel 5.8, and trying to compile kernel module amdgpu will fail. That's where the

--no-dkms

part comes in.

This method is working fine for 20.40. However, when I enter the above on 20.45, the --no-dkms part is ignored, and it will try to compile kernel module amdgpu anyway! Adding insult to injury, when it fails, it will blacklist amdgpu, and the computer will fail to set the correct graphics mode on reboot!

I was able to solve all this by letting DKMS fail, and after failing removing amdgpu-dkms like so:

sudo apt autoremove amdgpu-dkms

and then removing the blacklist of amdgpu. After this the computer will reboot normally, and OpenCL seems to be working.

illetschko
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

@bridgman: you wrote:
We also have an updated version of 20.45 with a workaround going through testing, ...

Now the Release Note say: "Release Date: December 17, 2020" and "Fixed Issues: Ubuntu 20.04 kernel update to 5.4.0-56.62 causes compilation of its amdgpu kernel module to fail."

Downloading this shows: all Files are dated "Oct 28" and it still fails building with new kernel, but works with 5.4.0-54.

Is there still the old link in the new Release Notes?

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Can you please check the build number you downloaded - it's part of the download URL.

As far as I know build 1188099 (which is what the download button pointed to when I checked a few minutes ago) was tested with 5.4.0-58 which should mean that the issue introduced in 5.4.0-56 has been worked around.

I'm not sure off the top of my head what actually changed - source/binary files or just packaging scripts - but will find out.

0 Likes
illetschko
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

@bridgman wrote:

Can you please check the build number you downloaded - it's part of the download URL.

As far as I know build 1188099 (which is what the download button pointed to when I checked a few minutes ago) ...

I'm not sure which "download button" you mean. I've found the "Release Notes" with the following link:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-20-45 

Inside is a link to download the driver for Ubuntu 20.04.1:

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/linux/amdgpu-pro-20.45-1164792-ubuntu-20.04.tar.xz 

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Ahh, OK... I see the problem. If you go to the following page and click on the "+" beside "Ubuntu x64 64-bit" you should see a "Download" button over on the right, and that button uses a newer link:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6900-series/amd-radeon-rx-...

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/linux/amdgpu-pro-20.45-1188099-ubuntu-20.04.tar.xz   (for reference, do not click)

We'll get the page you used updated as well, but for now please use the page above (first link). If you click on the second link directly you will probably get a "Download Incomplete" error.

0 Likes