cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DMAtrix
Journeyman III

Can't import / export settings from Radeon Software Adrenalin due to false absence of ZipUtility.exe

After installing AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 24.5.1 Recommended (WHQL) [version from 2024 05 15] for my GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC 12GB [GV-R67XTGAMING OC-12GD] I am unable to use import / export options of its Snap Settings because I get a pop-up warning saying that my Windows is auppoadl unable to access the

C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\ZipUtility.exe

file. But with previous versions [20.11.2, 21.03.1, 23.08.2] and / or GPU [MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G - V341-003R] I had zero issues with exporting and importing on my operating system. And now even after executing on that EXE my two always A-OK working PowerShell scripts for executing of Take Ownership and also on that whole AMD folder I still get that pop-up with false info. And also uninstalling or even using AMD Cleanup Utility program and then installing again the same 24.5.1 version does not help - I still cannot use those basic load / save functions of Adrenalin because I am supposedly not allegeable for accessing that ZipUtility.exe file [to which I can navigate to and even copy / rename it without a sweat]

This is ridiculous because I am the only user of my PC with Administrator rights and my Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64 [10.0.19042] is not being updated precisely for the purpose of not causing unwanted / inadvertent changes that could lead to such surprises [i.e. of something stopping to work because of an OS update]

I have consulted ChatGPT and yes: I used another [third] PS1 script for taking ownership of that ZipUtility.exe file, I double checked if I have rights to that file, I did reset the system, I disabled all features of my antivirus program COMODO [which if it had been blocking that file then it should have informed me about it via its HIPS feature]. But from the list of given to me suggestions I did not check the Group Policy- because I never change anything in it manually [so I reckon there is no point in indulging in it as a potential culprit]. While under Microsoft's

Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Security

I found zero records related to ZipUtility.exe [when using in it the CTRL+F search feature]. And also booting in Safe Mode was futile, because the RadeonSoftware.exe was then not running automatically, while trying to run it manually by going to

C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSoftware.exe

and executing it even in the elevated mode resulted with pop-up saying

The version of AMD Software that you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed AMD graphics driver. For information on how to resolve this, please go to: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-300

and thus I had no access at all to the panel with those Snap Settings. And now I am left only with the last suggestions from ChatGPT: in form of performing a Clean Boot - but should I waste time on it? And what else could I try?

So far I have found this one post https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/208425-cant-import-amd-settings-anymore.html that describes quite my problem and asked in that topic for details [not expecting an answer as that is an old post]. And on Reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/1dmsmsh/unable_to_import_export_settings_from_amd_radeon/?...] and LTT forum [https://linustechtips.com/topic/1576519-cannot-import-export-settings-from-amd-radeon-software-adren... I got zero responses

[And on a side note: the reason behind me updating the Adrenalin program was that RadeonSoftware.exe has started using up ridiculous amount of CPU power for whatever reason. Even right after booting up it was taking 20%, and with time passing by up to all of the resources resulting with an inevitable system crash. And restoring my still-not-updated Windows from an image did not help - and thus I decide to try out never version of drivers. Maybe later I will try going back to even earlier version of my operating system to see if the issue of inexplicable draining of resources is still present - which would then indicate some kind of hardware failure emanating to its software?

So far I did stumble upon report of such resources issue which includes also a solution to it but utilizing a workaround: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/radeon-software-host-application-high-cpu-usage/td-p/8.... But then again: installing this never version of AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition seems to have fixed this issue entirely - and so I have a choice of either trying to fix the older version of Adrenalin in terms of CPU power or the never version in terms of managing its Snap Settings

All in all this is nothing new to me, i.e. strange different problems with other versions of Adrenalin, as some time ago I was trying to use a never version and had to gave up as it was messing my playback in my video player Media Player Classic and functionality of the freeware f.lux for controlling of the blue light emission by my monitor]

0 Replies