Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Re: Black Screen When Installing 17.12.2 Drivers HD 7870 Win 7

yep no problems on my end.

0 Likes
nefe
Adept II

I tried it twice and it didn't work. I don't think the problem is related to faulty drivers or a broken GPU. It's too sudden and the hardware is new so I don't see why it would go bad so fast and without any apparent reason. Could it be related to the Spectre and Meltdown situation? I feel like there's a link between the time when Windows made all those urgency patches and the problem we are currently facing. Of course it's only a theory, could someone confirm or reject this possibility?

ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

Just tried with the new driver a couple of minutes ago with no results. I've also thought about that nefe​, though as far as I know the problem involved W10 and I'm running W7. I've been thinking about upgrading, but I've read how a lot of people with our problem has done that and nothing changed.

I'm about to give up and buy a new card from another manufacturer, since no one seems to find a solution and AMD is blind, deaf and mute regarding this problem. I've never felt so frustrated with my PC.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

I know how you feel about getting frustrated with a problem that seems to be unfixable. LoL, Sometimes I feel like taking a Sledgehammer to the computer to put it out of its misery.

Most of the time I just do a System Image Restore to the time when the Computer was working well. This is a last resort if I can't find a fix to the computer, especially if the problem prevents me from using the computer during normal use. Using a previous Restore Point, in my opinion, isn't very reliable 100% of the time. Otherwise, I really don't have anything to add to this thread. It is very difficult to figure the culprit. If it is a Windows Update, 3rd party program or AMD driver or any combination causing the problem.

kiwinadians
Adept II

MOBO: INTEL DP67BG

CPU: I5-2500

GPU: XFX HD 7870 CORE

I am getting exactly the same issue. I bought my mobo/cpu and hd 7870 used from someone who had been using it successfully for about two years. For the first few rounds of gaming, everything was going well. I got a black screen while playing Skyrim, and after a reboot the black screen persisted. I couldn't boot into safe mode, as it would immediately restart.

Cue reinstalling win 10, and whenever I try to reinstall an amd driver I get an immediate crash. I may try to install the older 15.2 or or 14.4 drivers as stated above. My older HD 5750 runs just perfectly, and I am worried there may have been damage to the card due to a driver error, much like what happened during the 2012 driver debacle. Before the crash I was running 18.1 drivers and everything seemed fine, although I didn't think to monitor my temps in afterburner. The card was not excessively hot right after the crash, and there was no artifacts or other indications of imminent failure as I've had with gpus failing in the past.

This is the first thread I've seen of this problem occurring now, as most of the related black screen threads are from back in 2012-13, so hopefully there are some new solutions. Back then, it seemed like the general consensus was RMA, or if out of warranty, bake it and hope for the best. I've raised a ticket with XFX, and hopefully they will come through with a vbios or something.

0 Likes
ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

kiwinadians Mine is the exact same model, also from XFX. Have you got any news from XFX? Did you get your card to work somehow?

0 Likes
kiwinadians
Adept II

Hey Ezra,

Just heard back from XFX today. They gave me the stock answer:

"It shouldn't be too hot upon start. Please check if the fan can spin and clean the heatsink.

If the driver can be installed , check the temperature in Wattamn"

I had obviously stated that the driver could not be installed, etc. I have sent them a reply noting that my temps before my crash were only in the 70C range, and immediately after the crash I opened the case and the card was not overly hot to touch, even right behind the core. Unless it is similar to the early AMD driver issue, where low fan speeds were causing memory chips to fail.

Basically, I told them that I think this is some sort of driver/windows update conflict. That seems like the only reasonable explanation for two identical cards running on similar systems to fail within days of each other under similar sorts of conditions, that seems too coincidental.

I don't have RMA status, as I got it used only a few weeks ago, and it was running perfectly under much heavier loads for the week I had it set up before this failure. It seems to be related to switching power states during the driver install, and as such, I think the vbios, or some power delivery conflict with a recent windows update is part of the culprit.

ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

I think the Windows Upate conflict is possible, since it was all too sudden and I don't remember updating my AMD drivers for a while. kiwinadians mentioned it too. The thing is, as you said it is very difficult to figure the culprit... I think I'll try posting my issue on Windows Support Forums an see what I can get from there. There's really nothing to lose at this point.

0 Likes
ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

kiwinadians escribió:

Basically, I told them that I think this is some sort of driver/windows update conflict. That seems like the only reasonable explanation for two identical cards running on similar systems to fail within days of each other under similar sorts of conditions, that seems too coincidental.

Yes, it makes sense.

I don't know much about vbios, power states and that kind of stuff to be honest, so I can't really help shine some light on the issue. I hope you get some good news from XFX in the next days Would be much to ask to keep us updated in this thread, if you have any news from XFX or if you manage to solve the problem? I would really appreciate it.

0 Likes
kiwinadians
Adept II

I heard back from XFX again today, and they encouraged me to do a system restore. I already tried, to no effect. Then I reinstalled windows 10, to no effect. My concern is that it is in fact hardware related, but was caused by a borked windows update, AMD driver, or some combination of both. I think the issue comes down to power supply at various power states. Somewhere in the communication between the power management in Windows getting a delivery call for power to the GPU, and then the AMD driver not receiving an expected power state and shutting down.

I can wait, as I have an old HD 5750 I can run with for a bit (however I can't play much of anything newer with it), but I'm hoping it is a solvable issue. My concern is that AMD and the card manufacturers have no incentive to take care of us users still running cards that are several years old. There is probably little testing as to the effect of driver updates on older hardware architecture, and they assume if our card fries that we'll just buy a new one. I worry this is an effective form of manufactured obsolescence that will become increasingly common in the tech world (such as with old Apple devices being slowed down), which users with have little recourse against and will find highly difficult to prove.