Journeyman III

Black Screen on New Driver Install

Hi all, I’ll start by listing my specs

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 quad-core processor

XFX Radeon RX 590 8GB GPU

16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz RAM

1TB HDD

Dell S2721HGF

I recently upgraded to the dell monitor and this is where the trouble started. I first noticed something off when the usual alt+r hot key to bring the radeon software up to take screenshots or check performance did not work. I then tried to run the software manually, and it did not launch there either. I then proceeded to attempt to download and reinstall it, assuming something had happened. I installed the current recommended version (20.11.2 i believe?). This temporarily worked until the computer blank screens and restarts, with the AMD software gone but no new software in its place. I’ve done some digging and i’m assuming i’m going to have to use DDU or something. I’m not sure what to do, i’ve never had driver issues before. 

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

use DDU in safe-mode

it is an easy to use programm - if you are still having problems: watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn8z39tiEL0

OR install 20.12.1 with "factory reset" option

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

View solution in original post

7 Replies
187umkillass
Journeyman III

Hi,

I didnt play for year or so and i'm running Rx590 Nitro+ Gold

I do play FPS mostly R6 Siege and Warzone recently and mostly i can play 1 round or 2( more likely when it freeze) is loading then freeze and PC restarts or BSOD happened sometimes showing:

ATIKMDAG.sys

AMDKMDAG.sys

Its mostly crashes 98% when try exit game to desktop (black screen and restart). I did instal old Amd drivers from March '20

I i did manage play full 4 rounds on Rainbow six and no crash! But it did when try exit games so problem still exist.

I did  follow this suggestions already (without testing ram so far):

https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/atikmdag-sys-bsod.html

Today i will test my RAM if they free of any errors using MemTest86 and will try again install fresh windows using usb ( did it already 3 times)

Fingers cross and will update you if will found anything.

0 Likes
ScotchFury
Challenger

Did you try the AMD GPU Driver & Radeon Software removal tool? Then try install drivers again?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 

Also is there any logs or information in event viewer?

Could also try keyboard shortcut to reset display if it just goes black but doesn't BSOD or reset..Screenshot_20210106-005957_Gallery.jpg

0 Likes

I tried this. I now have zero display. This occurred after restarting to enter safe mode as prompted to by the utility. I am now truly lost, this is not something I know much about lol.

The hotkey has not worked either

0 Likes

use DDU in safe-mode

it is an easy to use programm - if you are still having problems: watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn8z39tiEL0

OR install 20.12.1 with "factory reset" option

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

Thank you all, here is an update:

Old monitor is plugged in and working. Going to download DDU and do that, then plug new monitor in and install the new drivers

0 Likes

Solution:

1) If our monitor has free sync technology, switch to DVI-D (It matters because this type of cable deactivates FreeSync)

2) Download DDU and drivers in version 20.12.1 and then disconnect our computer from the Internet.

3) Start Windows in safe mode and we use DDU to remove all AMD software from the computer. Reboot the system.

4) Install drivers version 20.12.1

0 Likes

Did you ever fix the issue? I'm having a similar problem with an rx 570

0 Likes