cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

itjonis
Adept I

Black screen, game crash, driver timeout when playing propnight on a 6650xt. Tried every fix i could

My girlfriend loves playing propnight.

She was earlier playing on a nvidia 1060 6gb with a i7 7700k cpu. From time to time her screens would turn black and the fans would rev up to max and the pc would not respond at all unless you force turned off the pc with the power button.

This had happened from time to time in the time of 2 years or so but seemed to not happen for a while after i cleaned off the gpu, redid the thermal compound and reseated it.

In the end it started happening more often so she decided to buy a new msi 6650xt mech edition gpu.

Since installing it 4 days ago her game has crashed about 15 times.

Her psu is a 550W corsair but it should be whitin range for her setup... I think... It's the only thing i haven't been able to test.

We have tried:

• cleaning up and reinstalling direct x and visual c+ drivers.

• Done a DDU on old nvidia drivers and amd drivers and installed the "stable" 12.5.1 driver.

• A handful of different fixes for the game prop night.

• disabling Multi plane overlay (MPO)

• sfc /scannow repair

• i have done a memtest and gpu and cpu stresstest with no crashes or errors.

• hardware acceleration is turned off on her browser (chrome)

Does anyone know where the fault may lie or what else we can try to fix this?

7 Replies

Have you tried running msi afterburner to see what the actual wattage the whole system is? Seems like a game issue if it happened before. i would see if there are any updates for the game (which im sure youve done). I have a 6650xt with a 550w evga so im definetly interested in finding out what happens.   

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

I'd look into getting a 650wtt or more 80+ Gold or better PSU .. check reviews from hardware sites prior to purchasing anything

Make sure BIOS is up to date on her motherboard

You can run Intel's driver update utility to make sure all her Intel bits and pieces are up to date driver wise

Make sure her Windows install is up to date

IF she is running any cable extenders INSIDE her case and/or a PCIe riser cable .. those could be suspect

I was running the 7700k years ago and traded it straight across for a Ryzen 1700 setup (I was more into video editing and what not than gaming at the time) .. and haven't looked back

ThreeDee PC specs

Thanks for the sugesstions, we had done the intel driver update utility already and everything was up to date and her windows install was up to date but we decided to format and reinstall her windows yesterday and installed all drivers again today.

I did a bios update a while ago but haven't done it in atleast a year for her. I'm still abit confused with bios flashing and how to do it or whatnot.

I don't think were using any riser extension cables but will check. Her current psu is a Corsair CX550m 550W.

We installed amd drivers 22.5.1 whitout installing the adrenaline software this time and so far the game hasn't crashed today. So for now, i'll just let her play to see if it will crash again.

0 Likes

I forgot to mention as well if you had the same things happening as well with Nvidia with obviously Nvidia drivers I'd go with what @ThreeDee said. Check your hardware itself inside the case. If you have any risers cable extensions etc. Again @itjonis  if you have any updates let me know as I have the same gpu and power supply wattage. But download msi afterburner to see if you really need a power supply upgrade. A simple download of this free software saves you time and money or wasting it on a new power supply and not working. On youtube @linustechtips and @jayztwocents have great explanations on how to set msi afterburner up. 

0 Likes

It wasn't the same really with her old gpu since then her whole pc crashed into a forced shutdown but now it's just the drivers crashing.

Since yesterday we've done a format and clean install of windows 10 (since microsoft doesn't support the i7 7700k for win11 for some wierd reason). We also installed the amd 22.5.1 drivers but whitout the adrenalin software this time. So far her game hasn't crashed yet today.

I don't think we are using any risers cable extensions. Her psu is a Corsair CX550m 550W, can you see your total watt usage in afterburner? I'll download and test that aswell.

As said though, so far, no crashed yet today.

0 Likes

Yes you can see the wattage usage using that msi afterburner software. Thanks for the update.

0 Likes

Is it solving the problem? I bought this same GPU for build and I have this same problem.

0 Likes