cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Adept I
Adept I

Black screen and GPU fans go 100%, what is wrong?

in the last few months i have had this problem where my pc screen goes black with no signal and the GPU fans go loud, this only happens when starting up games or in the main menu. sometimes it only goes to a black screen without the fans going loud but this only happens when actually playing a game.

so far i have tried:

reinstalling windows.

clean instal of the drivers

applied new thermal paste

i used HWinfo to measure the stats when my pc crashes and the GPU temps dont go over 65 degrees from what i could read

from what i have read the usual issue is either the GPU or PSU but i want to know for sure.

specs:

Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth 990FX R2.0

GPU: AMD radeon RX480

CPU: AMD FX-8320

PSU:Corsair VS550 (orange)

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Re: Black screen and GPU fans go 100%, what is wrong?

Go to your WattMan settings and decrease the power to -20% or -30%. This will reduce the load on the PSU. In addition, the GPU temperature will decrease and the fans noise will decrease. There may be a loss of performance, but this will be much less than the percentage of decline.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

The 480 is power hungry.....minimum power supply 500watt. You have a 550watt PS which is suspect if it 2-3 years old or older as all PS lose efficiency over time. I would try a new/different PS if you have access to one.

PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX 

You can check your power supply rating in this article:

PSU Review Database - RealHardTechX 

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

my PSU is nearly 3 years old yes, so it would probably be better if i got a new one.

Any recommendations for one with my specs?

0 Kudos
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

You are using a 28nm CPU and a 14nm GPU. No money should not be spent on this system. A new PSU is probably unnecessary for you if you don't have a restart issue. If you are using OC GPU, use a maximum of 1150mV 1266Mhz with WattMan or reduce power. You shouldn't have any problems. I also used a similar PC to your system for a very long time. A similar problem may occur with a more powerful PSU and OC GPU.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

i will try and see if that works, if it doesnt then i will be back.

thnx for the help so far

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Are you mentioning from Tuning->Power Tuning->Power Limit to -20 or 30?

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have same problem too. All my system is updated and brand new. My PSU is FSP Hydro G 750W 80+ Gold. I have no power issue. Probably arise from Adrenalin driver. I think i will back to 19.9.3 again. At least there is no black screen problem. By the way, my card is Sapphire RX590 Nitro+ SE.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

There is weight to what others are saying about PSU.

Getting the same issue over the year I've owned my Vega 64 LC and before you jump on the "well the Vega is more power hungry than the Polaris (RX480)" .... I am using a EVGA 1600 Watt PSU.

0 Kudos
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

No more or less. Using a very high PSU does not yield gains. Your PSU consumes too much electricity.

0 Kudos